Tokina AT-X 28-85mm

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone.

I've been going through a bag of old photography gear that was left to me by a relative. There's some interesting pieces, including an immaculate Nikon FE which I'm tempted to keep to play with. But, on that body was the Tokina AT-X 28-85mm lens.

I'm not yet able to post pictures to the forum so I'm going to have to try to explain the issue in words... But when I zoom the lens in as much as possible, there's a gap between the front barrel of the lens and the main body of the lens which connects to the camera body. It certainly lets light in, and exposes a brass part of the lens and the void between the glass lenses too. Is that normal?

Does my description even make sense?

I'm grateful for any guidance you can give - thank you so much.

Hi and welcome to TP

If, from your description, when the lens is zoomed it exposes the internal structure of the lens then IMO there likely some damage(not obvious?) to the mechanism.

Okay, I thought that might be the case. Thanks for confirming. :)

Just took a look at your portfolio - love the Spitfire pics!

Okay, I thought that might be the case. Thanks for confirming. :)

Just took a look at your portfolio - love the Spitfire pics!
The lens is likely not economically worth repairing unless as a DIY job???

However, if the Nikon FE is in good & working condition could be good to 'get back into film'. There is an active Film & Conventional sub fora to ask questions there for insights.

Thanks for looking at my 500px and/or Flickr.....i have not added anything there for ages......the Spitfire is a beautiful & iconic aircraft:D

My father served and I work for an RAF organisation, so have a real interest. :)

I am tempted to keep hold of the FE and give it a go in the future. It'd be a shame to sell it and regret it later.

Back