Too Many Togs?

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

So here is the scenario. My wife and I are guests at her cousins wedding very soon and I got asked by the happy couple if I would "bring my camera" to take some photos from a guests perspective. They have an official Tog doing the wedding but not the reception and they have made the same request of 3 other guests who are also Amateur Photographers like myself.

My initial response was I felt they could end up with some very jaded guests if they have 4 wannabe David Baileys pointing their cameras at everyone throughout the day. Not to be deterred they insisted that one of the 4 ATs would be coordinating it so I reluctantly agreed to pack my gear.

I still think I may stil try to quietly leave the gear in the bag and let the others get on with the happy couples plan but just in case I am looking for advice.

Has anyone been in this situation, if so what advice can you give re capturing unusual or cherished shots?

I think I have some decent gear to handle low light situations without firing flash off all day which may help me set some more natural shots. I was thinking of sticking to one or two lenses.

Equipment I have:
5D2
5D3
Sigma 12-24mm f4.5-5.6
Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM
Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8 L IS II USM
Canon Speedlite 430EX II
Canon MR-14EX II Macrolight

So I am thinking maybe the 24-70 and the 70-200 and the 5D3 ?

Speaking as an ex pro wedding photographer, I'd advise you to just take a 5D3 with the 50/1.4 on it. It's amazing what you can do with that combination at a wedding :)

And btw, I'm totally bemused by the idea of any right-minded couple encouraging four amateur snappers to do their thing at their wedding - whether co-ordinated (the mind boggles) or not.

Last edited:
I'd go, enjoy the wedding. Take a 5d3 and a 50. Share whatever you take. But above all enjoy a few beers and your wife's company (or try to pull the bridesmaids when she's not looking :rolleyes:). Don't not enjoy it by being one of 4 who run round with cameras all night and do nothing else

Speaking as an ex pro wedding photographer, I'd advise you to just take a 5D3 with the 50/1.4 on it. It's amazing what you can do with that combination at a wedding :)

And btw, I'm totally bemused by the idea of any right-minded couple encouraging four amateur snappers to do their thing at their wedding - whether co-ordinated (the mind boggles) or not.

I'd go, enjoy the wedding. Take a 5d3 and a 50. Share whatever you take. But above all enjoy a few beers and your wife's company (or try to pull the bridesmaids when she's not looking :rolleyes:). Don't not enjoy it by being one of 4 who run round with cameras all night and do nothing else

:agree::plus1:

I'm totally bemused by the idea of any right-minded couple encouraging four amateur snappers to do their thing at their wedding - whether co-ordinated (the mind boggles) or not.

Don't even go there :) They are a mature hyper-intelligent couple whom we all think very highly of but with their combined intellect they sacrifice good old common sense :)

I'd recommend the same as above, i attended 2 weddings last year as a guest with a FF camera and a 50mm and was really happy i hadn't effed about with several lenses or big zooms. Obviously a flashgun would have come in handy in the evening do but by then it was probably best i didn't have my camera anywhere near me and it was safely stashed away in my room :beer:

Me taking my camera worked out well because i could get some shots that the hired photographers couldn't get. Mainly shots of children, being in the family these children knew me and were happy to have their picture taken by me but not the Pro. Not that you would but the trick is to stay out of the way of the Pros and let them get on with their job, firstly because it means they have an easier time of it without worrying about uncle bob and secondly the couple end up with a better spread of images :)

I think 4 people going round actively seeking out photos could be a little much, but having 4 additional viewpoints from the day would be a nice thing. My sister was made up that i had been taking a couple of shots while they were having their portraits together because as a result they missed a chunk of the wedding, never seeing the expensive string quartet for example and that meant they had more to put in their final album

Last edited:
I went to a wedding some years ago, where every table had a single-use camera for the guests to use as they wished. Seems like a good idea to me????

I had the same scenario a few months ago.

Invited to a wedding as a guest and told to bring my camera. I chose not to and enjoy the day as I'm an "all or nothing" kind of person.

Excuse the bad language, but would I fu** go to a wedding as a guest and have anyone "coordinate" me.

I'd just a bring along a compact camera (eg mirror-less csc or a high end point and shoot) and use that as there is no way I'd lug a DSLR and lenses all day unless I was being paid!

I'd just a bring along a compact camera (eg mirror-less csc or a high end point and shoot) and use that as there is no way I'd lug a DSLR and lenses all day unless I was being paid!

Cricky Adrian, I and countless other Amateur Togs carry a DSLR all day without being paid most of the time :) If I am going to do it i will take my best kit which is the DSLR and leave the M43 kit at home. I am certainly leaning towards the 50mm but I have to say I really like the 85 :)

I went to a wedding some years ago, where every table had a single-use camera for the guests to use as they wished. Seems like a good idea to me????
We did that at ours. The biggest problem was all the kids nicked um and although they did take some fun shots you might not get many by adults.

Well the day came and went, the world didn't stop turning because an Amateur Photographer or four were enlisted to muck in and between us we even managed some decent images ;-)

I'm pleased to say I had the forethought to take my whole kit up with me because I ended up going in a completely different direction. The venue was a converted swimming baths, the pool was replaced with a dance floor and the balcony around the outside was where the tables were set out. It was bright, very bright in fact for much of the day. The pro and other APs were all mingling in close to get their shots with flash so I did the opposite. Candid shots with the 70-200 wide open allowed me to catch the subject, separated from the crowd with shallow DOF and without them looking light rabbits in the headlights because they were unaware I was shooting them.

It just goes to show you can over plan these things :)

Thanks for the tips guys.

Been to a friends wedding and book the 5D3 and 40mm pancake so I didn't look too keen with huge lens. I was there as a guest so wasn't too concerned about the pictures as they've paid someone else to worry ;)

Well the day came and went, the world didn't stop turning because an Amateur Photographer or four were enlisted to muck in and between us we even managed some decent images ;-)

I'm pleased to say I had the forethought to take my whole kit up with me because I ended up going in a completely different direction. The venue was a converted swimming baths, the pool was replaced with a dance floor and the balcony around the outside was where the tables were set out. It was bright, very bright in fact for much of the day. The pro and other APs were all mingling in close to get their shots with flash so I did the opposite. Candid shots with the 70-200 wide open allowed me to catch the subject, separated from the crowd with shallow DOF and without them looking light rabbits in the headlights because they were unaware I was shooting them.

It just goes to show you can over plan these things :)

Thanks for the tips guys.

Be good to see some shots Mark :)

I would love to post some but the B&G have not even seen them yet :)

Back