Too Much?

Name
Perry
Edit My Images
Yes
Have I gone a bit OTT on these are they ok?

Any other advice on how to improve etc welcome.

Bear in mind the first one was taken by my 8 year old son!!

Compressed_0059.jpg

Compressed_0060.jpg

Thanks for looking.

in my opinion you've sharpened them far too much and the top shot could benefit from some kind of ND grad filter effect maybe but otherwise I think they're pretty nice.

I think the accepted rule with sharpening is too only do it once and as your final effect so if you plan on resizing etc you should save the unsharpened result too.

Nice colour, but definitely over-sharpened.

There are numerous ways to sharpen and it's down to personal preference which method you use. I prefer to apply USM in small amounts applied several times till it just starts to look too much, then undo the last step or two. It's very much a judgement call on when to stop though.

The general rule is sharpening is the last thing you should do to an image prior to saving it. The reason for this is that digital sharpening works by increasing contrast in adjoining light/dark areas. Any adjustments you make after sharpening which have an effect on levels or contrast can therefore have an adverse effect on that careful sharpening you've done.

If you reduce a pic in size for web viewing, you ideally shouldn't have sharpened the original, but you'll certainly need to sharpen the smaller version as reducing the size noticeably reduces the definition.

The very 'pitted' appeance of these shots is the obvious sign of over-sharpening, so when you sharpen, be aware of that, and also look out for halos appearing where you get light and dark adjoining areas.... the skyline is an obvious one where halos can be a problem.

Think I am understanding what you are saying :)

Hopefully getting a CS2 how to type book after Xmas so should make more sense then :)

Big oaks - little acorns. :D

I'm sure you'll find a few 'How To's on sharpening and resizing in the Tutorials Section till you get your book.

If you've done the corrections in Photoshop, try doing them with layers rather than the base image.If you've not tried that hopefully the "How To " book will give you some guidance.

The nice thing about layers is you can delete them if you like, but also turn down the affect. So if you've over sharpened you can go back to the layer and redo the adjustments, without having to redo everything else. ( useful for cloning as well) To keep layers in tact you'll have to save as PSD files. they're bit big but useful when you need to redo something without having to start from scratch.

Layers are worthwhile getting to know. Once you do, I'll bet you'll do all you retouching via layers

Thanks again, I think on the above images I used Nikon Capture to edit.

right im new on here so i dont know what you think but ive given the edit a shot

(good practice for me for when i get my cam)

treeedit.jpg

lakething.jpg

Back