Took 49 years, but.

Dale,i'm 52 you've done better than me,Actually buddy I'd just settle on seeing a brit red for now so for me it's a cracking first effort love the colour ,seems pretty good for detail,like your comp bg is lovely and the stump is cool too...what's not to like ,I bet you are well chufffed.

Dale I own both of the wants,and sure to me having that lens is like some mad dream come true,but I'd so like something with more reach. Dale it's not so much the reach aspect I am frustrated by it's the simple fact that some of these beasties have such good hearing that when I get in close the shutter noise of my camera is an absolute nightmare. Dale I thought I'd mention this as the lens is remarkable and I am so lucky to own it,but this is the one facet that utterly got past me.Many folks helped me many said about really I would need more reach,but nobody really mentioned how much shutter noise can mess up all the effort of getting in close.I always felt that was the one area of this malarky that i might be able to do as it's something I have always seemed to be able to do since a kid. My biggest struggle Dale is with the fallow we spend time with. they are utterly wild,and of course a bigger subject,which really the 300f2.8 should be ideal for,but the shutter is killing me at the moment,even going to one shot silent is not ideal as it takes out the cracking assets of my 1Div ie ten frames per second.

Anyway mate sorry for the ramble just thought it worth sharing this regarding the lens as it's an area not often covered

Oh and more squirrels please:D

take care

Stu

Dale,i'm 52 you've done better than me,Actually buddy I'd just settle on seeing a brit red for now so for me it's a cracking first effort love the colour ,seems pretty good for detail,like your comp bg is lovely and the stump is cool too...what's not to like ,I bet you are well chufffed.

Dale I own both of the wants,and sure to me having that lens is like some mad dream come true,but I'd so like something with more reach. Dale it's not so much the reach aspect I am frustrated by it's the simple fact that some of these beasties have such good hearing that when I get in close the shutter noise of my camera is an absolute nightmare. Dale I thought I'd mention this as the lens is remarkable and I am so lucky to own it,but this is the one facet that utterly got past me.Many folks helped me many said about really I would need more reach,but nobody really mentioned how much shutter noise can mess up all the effort of getting in close.I always felt that was the one area of this malarky that i might be able to do as it's something I have always seemed to be able to do since a kid. My biggest struggle Dale is with the fallow we spend time with. they are utterly wild,and of course a bigger subject,which really the 300f2.8 should be ideal for,but the shutter is killing me at the moment,even going to one shot silent is not ideal as it takes out the cracking assets of my 1Div ie ten frames per second.

Anyway mate sorry for the ramble just thought it worth sharing this regarding the lens as it's an area not often covered

Oh and more squirrels please:D

take care

Stu

Cheers Stu. Yep, I am chuffed just to get one. I would have liked a creamier background but it wasn't going to happen at f4. These were youngsters and quite tame, whilst wary. Had one come within 5 feet at one point and it filled the frame. Tufty ears would've been great, maybe next time. I love the 300L f4 I have and it will blur backgrounds nicely if there is plenty of seperation between the subject and the BG. 2.8 would have been just the ticket yesterday though, as I was only getting 300/sec at 1600 iso. I would've loved to have gotten one mid air but boy, they are quick. Even if I'd managed to capture one mid air, it would've been a blur. The f4 was a compromise for me between some decent L glass and expense. I can't see my ever being in a position to own even a second hand 2.8 considering what they go for, but you never know. The f4 is sharp though, incredibly so in the right conditions.

The chainsaw is just for life satisfaction purposes. :LOL:

I agree about the 300L f4. An old lens but some of my best shots have been taken with it. Just need to find a red squirrel!

Cheers Archie. I think the 300 is probably my best lens, along with 100 f2.8 I have and at times, these reds would've been close enough for that. I did suffer at f4 in the light I had with the 300. Give it the light though and it's a cracking lens.

@ Stuart, would locking the mirror up give you a quieter shutter noise?

Last edited:
Worth the wait Dale (y)

are you happy with the WB Dale?

the colour does become more vibrant in the breeding season

just a quick edit

SQ_Dale.jpg

Last edited:
Worth the wait Dale (y)

Thanks Norks.

Lovely, I've never even seen one in the wild so you've beaten me.

Cheers. Now I've seen one, I want more. I'll be going back when conditions/time allow. :)

Come to the Isle of Wight. All of our Squirrels are red. No grey here.

Steve.

Lol, a bit of a walk from here Steve but maybe one day. ;-)

are you happy with the WB Dale?

the colour does become more vibrant in the breeding season

just a quick edit

SQ_Dale.jpg

I had pondered the W/B for sure, it is a little warm. I do get warm looking RAW files off my 7D when set to 'shade'. I'd uploaded it before it started bothering me and I have cooled it down a little now.

great pic

Thanks.

Another from the same outing, I love the pose. I wish that trunk wasn't behind it though, chainsaw next time. ;-)

Red Squirrel. by Dale, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wow! I love them both and in my honest opinion I didn't even notice the trunk in the BG until I read your description as there is so much detail in the little fella my eye was pulled directly to the subject.

If the venue is Es....g, there were plenty running about, up close, yesterday ☺

Back