Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

As far as I know your 'hut under the tree' near Nuns Cross Farm has nothing to do with tinning but is the original farm cottage, although the whole area around Newleycombe lake was extensively streamed and they had to call in the miners to tunnel the leat through Drivage Bottom (I think radon gas was the least of their worries..............)

As far as I know your 'hut under the tree' near Nuns Cross Farm has nothing to do with tinning but is the original farm cottage, although the whole area around Newleycombe lake was extensively streamed and they had to call in the miners to tunnel the leat through Drivage Bottom (I think radon gas was the least of their worries..............)
Thanks Jan, can't argue as I'm no expert on the mining on Dartmoor I was just going off the map.

Week 4.

This week Mrs T and I went out to Cox Tor with a view to going on to Roos Tor then over to Gt Staple Tor. We had intended to carry on to Middle and Little Staple Tors but I spent such a long time trying to get a shot on Cox Tor that we eventually ran out of time for the last 2 legs. The weather was pleasant enough but the light was dreadful all day overcast low cloud and heavy moisture in the mist.

Cox Tor Trig Point (Gt & Middle Staple Tors in the distance).

View attachment 342493

From Cox Tor we could see across to Roos Tor (on the left) our next stop and Great Staple Tor.

View attachment 342494

On the way up to Roos Tor.

View attachment 342495

From Roos Tor our next stop would be Gt Staple.

View attachment 342496

View attachment 342497

Then back to the car, along the way was some boggy ground.

View attachment 342498

And Ponies.

View attachment 342499

That's all for this week folks, as usual you can seed the full story and more photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Do you recognise this?

2ol.jpg

Always called it two old ladies :)

Do you recognise this?

View attachment 360937

Always called it two old ladies :)
I wish I could say yes but I don't. Trouble is there are so many rocky outcrops on the Moor that can be shot from many angles that unless you have the same shot it becomes almost impossible for all but the most familiar Tors. Where is it?

Last edited:
I wish I could say yes but I don't. Tropuble is there are so many rocky outcrops on the Moor that can be shot from many angles that unless you have the same shot it becomes almost impossible for all but the most familiar Tors. Where is it?
It wasn't a test :) I can't remember, I think it was either near Saddle Tor or Bonehill. It was 2004!
If I got in the car and drove, I would probably get there. I was brought up in a small village near Plymouth, and spent many Sundays just driving round Dartmoor (obviously I wasn't actually driving), and when I visit, I don't go anywhere or direction in particular, just drive, to wherever there are less people :)

Week 29.

This week I took my Fuji GFX 50S on a round trip from Leeden Tor Car Park, up Sharpitor along to Peek Hill then down past Leather Tor on to the farm and bridge then over to Balck Tor and its Logan Stone before heading up Leeden Tor and through the Settlements back to the car. You can see the full story and photos in my Blog https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

002 Sharpitor 02-8211 PS Adj.JPG

006 Leather Tor Ponies 01-8221 PS Adj.JPG

013 Leather Tor Farm (GFX) 01-2191 PS Adj.JPG

015 Leather Tor Bridge (GFX) 01-2194 PS Adj.JPG

022 Black Tor Falls (GFX) 03-2204 PS Adj.JPG

Week 30.

This week I was out looking at ancient stone rows and dissused quarries around Merrivale nr Princetown as well as a lone tree on Kings Tor. As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my blog on ePHOTOxine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

011 Kings Tor Lone Tree 02-8333 PS Adj.JPG

001 Merrivale Stone Rows 01-8303 PS Adj.JPG

Swelltor Quarries.

015 Swelltor Quarries 04-8341 PS Adj.JPG

Foggintor Quarries.

024 Foggintor Quarries 02-8357 PS Adj.JPG

Did you have a look around the ice works? I find things like that fascinating (other opinions are available :LOL:)
No I didn't Jan, basically because although I have heard of them I don't know where they are specifically. My main objective was going to be Lake Viaduct but because the light was flat and boring I just wandered about in the area visiting things I knew were there. I must look up the Iceworks and maybe visit them in the future.

Did you have a look around the ice works? I find things like that fascinating (other opinions are available :LOL:)

No I didn't Jan, basically because although I have heard of them I don't know where they are specifically. My main objective was going to be Lake Viaduct but because the light was flat and boring I just wandered about in the area visiting things I knew were there. I must look up the Iceworks and maybe visit them in the future.
Having quickly looked them up I did wander around them just didn't know it. They are all grassed over and a bit uninteresting photographically but historically they were quite something.

I was stood on part of them when I took this shot of Meldon Reservoir.

003 Meldon Reservoir 01-6309 PS Adj.JPG

Last edited:
Go up to the ice works in winter with the sun low and frost or preferably ice on the ground. They show so much better then, with the big advantage of just a short walk up from Prewley, although living 65 miles away I never go there for a short walk............

Go up to the ice works in winter with the sun low and frost or preferably ice on the ground. They show so much better then, with the big advantage of just a short walk up from Prewley, although living 65 miles away I never go there for a short walk............
It's only 17 miles from me so I will look to do that Jan. Thanks for the tip. (y)

Week 32.
This week I went around Burrator Reservoir, it is so low you can walk amongst the ruins of the old village that was sacrificed to build the Dam, then up Sheeps Tor.

006 Burrator Reservoir 05-8451 PS Adj.JPG

010 Burrator Reservoir 09-8458 PS Adj.JPG

028 Sheeps Tor 13-8498 PS Adj.JPG

There are great views from the top of Sheeps Tor.

Down Tor.

016 Down Tor fm  Sheeps Tor 01-8483 PS Adj.JPG

Leather Tor.

019 Leather Tor fm  Sheeps Tor 01-8490 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks, as usual you can see the full story and photos in my blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

I keep telling myself I should come down and photograph Burrator while it's so low. It's not a place I go to often. It's a 2 hr drive each way. Maybe if it's still low next month when the grockles have gone home I'll do Burrator and Fernworthy in one hit. I know the cart bridge at Fernworthy is showing but I haven't heard anything about the clapper bridge. My 35mm photos of both bridges were taken in 1989.

I keep telling myself I should come down and photograph Burrator while it's so low. It's not a place I go to often. It's a 2 hr drive each way. Maybe if it's still low next month when the grockles have gone home I'll do Burrator and Fernworthy in one hit. I know the cart bridge at Fernworthy is showing but I haven't heard anything about the clapper bridge. My 35mm photos of both bridges were taken in 1989.
Fernworthy isn't a reservoir I had considered photographing, I'll have to add it to my list. (y)

Week 33.
This week I went from Cadover Bridge along the River PLym to Shaugh Bridge then across the river and back towards Cadover to the Dewerstone Rocks. From there I went up the rocks to the top of the Dewerstone then back to Cadover Bridge via Wigford Down. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Dewerstone Rocks from the opposite side of the river.

004 Dewerstone Rocks 02-8523 PS Adj.JPG

The top of the Dewerstone.

035 The Dewerstone Summit 07-8561 PS Adj.JPG

River Plym.

002 Trees along River Plym 02-8518 PS Adj.JPG

Shaugh Bridge.

017 Shaugh Bridge 02-8541 PS Adj.JPG

All a bit different to10 years ago (summer of 2012, the year when it started raining at Easter and forgot to stop) when I didn't get to the tinners hut on Steeperton Brook because it was a swamp from about half way down Steeperton............ It may also have been the time Knack Mine ford was too deep for my gaiters so it was boots off and wade. I know why it it. Nothing to do with global warming. It's because I have a knackered leg and can't go walking. As soon as I get it sorted it'll rain for the next 2 years. You have been warned.............;)

All a bit different to10 years ago (summer of 2012, the year when it started raining at Easter and forgot to stop) when I didn't get to the tinners hut on Steeperton Brook because it was a swamp from about half way down Steeperton............ It may also have been the time Knack Mine ford was too deep for my gaiters so it was boots off and wade. I know why it it. Nothing to do with global warming. It's because I have a knackered leg and can't go walking. As soon as I get it sorted it'll rain for the next 2 years. You have been warned.............;)
TBH Jan, the whole area around that hut and Brook was pretty dry Spagnum Bog and I was pleased we'd just had the dry spell as I don't think it would have been passable otherwise. (y)

Week 35.

This week I went in search of for a Stone Circle, some old Settlements and a Standing Stone on Langstone Moor called, aptly, The Langstone. My walk took me past Boulters Tor then via Stephen’s Grave to White Tor and over Petertavy Great Common to Langstone Moor.
As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Tha Langstone.

021 The Langstone 03-8701 PS Adj.JPG

The Stone Circle.

030 Langstone Moor Stone Circle 03-8725 PS Adj.JPG

Pano of the Walkham Valley from the Longstone Moor Settlements.

Walkham Valley Pano (Gt Mis, Staple and Roos Tors) 01 PS Adj.JPG

Week 36.

This week I hoped to shelter from the torrential rain that was forecast so I went into Lydford Gorge which is a National Trust property on the edge of Dartmoor, it has 2 main features on it' 3 1/2 mile walk, the Whitelady Waterfalls and the Devil's Cauldron.

The Whitelady Waterfall.

018 Lydford Gorge (Whitelady Falls (GFX)) 018-2217 PS Adj.JPG

The Devilo's Cauldron.

032 Lydford Gorge (Devil's Cauldron (GFX)) 032-2220 PS Adj.JPG

The walk map (for interest).

Lydford Gorge Map-1010607 PS Adj.JPG

As usual you can see the full walk and Photos in my Blog https://www.ephotozine.com///user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Even though I last went to Lydford Gorge when I was a mere youngster about a thousand years ago I remember the bit into the Devils Cauldron as a bit.... hmmm, though I seem to remember the really hairy bit was when a rather large guy (well, everyone's rather large compared to me) insisted on coming in as I was trying to get out and we had to sort of swing past each other. One of us was hanging out over the water but I can't remember who. I'm an NT member so I really should go again, but......... I prefer the Lyd the other side of the A386. I have no photos of my visit so thanks for sharing. Great image of the cauldron.

Even though I last went to Lydford Gorge when I was a mere youngster about a thousand years ago I remember the bit into the Devils Cauldron as a bit.... hmmm, though I seem to remember the really hairy bit was when a rather large guy (well, everyone's rather large compared to me) insisted on coming in as I was trying to get out and we had to sort of swing past each other. One of us was hanging out over the water but I can't remember who. I'm an NT member so I really should go again, but......... I prefer the Lyd the other side of the A386. I have no photos of my visit so thanks for sharing. Great image of the cauldron.
You're welcome Jan. I have to say I wouldn't have enjoyed negotiating one in one out at the same time, that ledge is awfully small and high.

Week 37.

This week I was once again studying the weather forecast to see where I could go to avoid the rain, I decided that the South of the Moor was my best option so I headed for Ringmoor and Legis Tor where there are some ancient stone rows and circles plus farmsteads marked on the map. As I set off though the heavy rains (that weren’t forecast) arrived so for most of the walk I could only shoot facing South with my back to the wind and rain to keep the lens front clear of raindrops. As usual you can see the full walk and Photos in my Blog https://www.ephotozine.com///user/topsyrm-149719/blog/.

Brisworthy Stone Circle.

004 Brisworthy Stone Circle 01-8801 PS Adj.JPG

Stone Row on Ringmoor.

003 Ringmoor Stone Row 02-8799 PS Adj.JPG

Legis Tor.

009 Legis Tor 01-8806 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for sharing. It's an area I've not ventured far into as for me it's a long hike in from the Whiteworks road or a very long drive to come in from the west, but it definitely looks worth making the effort for. I love a nice stone circle or row.
On Friday I had a chat with a man who was cutting back vegetation growth from the stones around the kist in the middle of one of the Merrivale rows. I never knew they did that. He was quite happy to down tools while I waited for the right light to take a photo.
The Trowlesworthy circle and rows are well worth a visit. Another place I very rarely get to......... :(

Thanks for sharing. It's an area I've not ventured far into as for me it's a long hike in from the Whiteworks road or a very long drive to come in from the west, but it definitely looks worth making the effort for. I love a nice stone circle or row.
On Friday I had a chat with a man who was cutting back vegetation growth from the stones around the kist in the middle of one of the Merrivale rows. I never knew they did that. He was quite happy to down tools while I waited for the right light to take a photo.
The Trowlesworthy circle and rows are well worth a visit. Another place I very rarely get to......... :(
Thanks Jan, I had intended to get over to Trowlesworthy Tors but the valley between Legis and Trowlesworthy was quite steep with clitter covered in bracken plus I couldn't see a viable crossing point of the now swollen PLym. I am going back on Tuesday to Trowlesworthy but will park on the other side of the river and approach fron the Trowlesworthy Warren House area.

Thanks Jan, I had intended to get over to Trowlesworthy Tors but the valley between Legis and Trowlesworthy was quite steep with clitter covered in bracken plus I couldn't see a viable crossing point of the now swollen PLym. I am going back on Tuesday to Trowlesworthy but will park on the other side of the river and approach fron the Trowlesworthy Warren House area.

Yes that's by far the best way in. Also easy access to Hen Tor, Shavercombe Head, Penn Beacon etc. It was on a walk there that I saw Ditsworthy warren house in its War Horse guise. I don't think there's a viable crossing on the Plym downstream of Ditsworthy ford, though I've been up to my knees there.

Yes that's by far the best way in. Also easy access to Hen Tor, Shavercombe Head, Penn Beacon etc. It was on a walk there that I saw Ditsworthy warren house in its War Horse guise. I don't think there's a viable crossing on the Plym downstream of Ditsworthy ford, though I've been up to my knees there.
I plan on going out to Shelltop and Penn Beacon time permitting, depends how long I spend on the Trowlesworthys there seems to be quite a bit of interesting stuff up there to photograph. I'll be taking my GFX so it's up tripod down tripod and that's what eats up the time.

Week 38.

This week I went back out to the South Moor to get to those Tors I missed last week, Little and GreatTrowlesworthy, I also took in Shell Top and Penn Beacon. Saw this fellow on the way.

038 Highland Cow under Gt Trowlesworthy Tor 02-8924 PS Adj.JPG

On Little Trowlesworthy Tor there is a great big Granite Circular rock that was carved to make a flogpole base for Devonport but was never finished.

014 Flagpole Base at Little Trowlesworthy Tor 02-0046 PS Adj.JPG

Along the way there are views of what I think is a blight on the landscape but life must go on.

The China Clayworks.

022 China Clayworks 01-8889 PS Adj.JPG

As usual those interested can see the full story and photos in my blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com///user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Week 39.

This week I went North to Cosdon Beacon and it's triple stone row then on to White Moor Stone Circle on the way taking in Shilley Pool. Once again I had the weather against me.

008 Heavy Sky on route to Cosdon Stone Row 01-8948 PS Adj.JPG

Shilley Pool.

004 Shilley Pool 02-8943 PS Adj.JPG

Cosdon Triple Stone Row.

009 Cosdon Stone Row 01-8953 PS Adj.JPG

White Moor Stone Circle.

023 White Moor Stone Circle 02-8974 PS Adj.JPG

As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Week 40.

New Toy for this week's ramble, the new 20-35mm for my GFX 50S so I decided to go out to Venford Falls and Bench Tor to try it out.

This was at 20mm in the 24x65 aspect ratio in camera, shot from in the brook.

006 Venford Falls 04-0099 PS Adj.JPG

The setup.

007 Venford Falls 05-8995 PS Adj.JPG

Bench Tor Lone Tree.

019 Bench Tor 03-0124 PS Adj.JPG

On the way home I pass Combestone Tor.

035 Combestone Tor 07-0153 PS Adj.JPG

As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Week 41.

Another outing with the GFX 50S and my new lens, this time up to Great Mis Tor to shoot The Devil's Frying Pan then over to the old Prison Newtakes to shoot Fices Well. Both suitably challenging subjects for the 20-35mm wide angle lens.

The Devil's Frying Pan.

012 Devil's Frying Pan 02-0207 PS Adj.JPG

Fices Well.

027 Fices Well 04-0229 PS Adj.JPG

A couple of general shots from the walk.

031 Standing Stone beside Newtake 03-9064 PS Adj.JPG

002 Gt Staple Tor 01-9032 PS Adj.JPG

As usual you can see the full story and photos in my blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Week 42.

Something of a mixed bag this week, I had a plan but on the day the fog was just too dense to make a moorland photowalk worth while so I set off to do some roadside shooting of some stuff I've had on the back-burner for just sutch days.

The Warren House Inn.

001 Warren House Inn 01-1343 PS Adj.JPG

Bennett's Cross.

002 Bennett's Cross 01-9071 PS Adj.JPG

The bridges at Postbridge.

004 Postbridge 01-1356 PS Adj.JPG

Ockery Bridge near Princetown.

008 Ockery Bridge 01-1373 PS Adj.JPG

The grounds of The Two Bridges Hotel.

012 Two Bridges Hotel 02-1385 PS Adj.JPG

I did get out to Wistman's Wood for a couple of foggy trees shots.

020 Wistman's Wood 01-1389 PS Adj.JPG

You can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Postbridge looks best in the mist. So does Bennetts Cross. Regarding Wistmans Wood, when you've walked out past there on a wet and misty day and seen an endless stream of people going to the wood, and back from the wood.............. and that was before social media put it on everyone's bucket list. I remember it from many years ago looking a lot denser and more mossy that it does now. There used to be small signs asking people to stay out and I'm looking at the place and thinking who would risk breaking an ankle or worse trying to get in?

Week 8.

More rain and wind, this time I was alone for a walk along Belstone Cleave in search ov Ivy Tor and the Old Rifle Range.

Ivy Tor.

View attachment 345227

Old Rifle Range Infrastructure.

View attachment 345228

The valley has loads of gnarly trees along it's banks.

View attachment 345229

Crossing the river is made easy with the footbridges provided.

View attachment 345230

The walk starts and finishes in the very picturesque village of Belstone close to Okehampton.

View attachment 345231

As always, you can see the full story in my Blog on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog
Anyone remember the film made here the Bellstone fox?

Back