Topsy's Dartmoor Rambles

Love the shot of the quarry building - the fog suits it so well. It's a great area to explore but I've always thought I wouldn't like to be caught on top on the ridge in real zero vis. It would be easy to fall over a cliff (quarry).

Love the shot of the quarry building - the fog suits it so well. It's a great area to explore but I've always thought I wouldn't like to be caught on top on the ridge in real zero vis. It would be easy to fall over a cliff (quarry).
One certainly has to be careful Jan but I know this area very well so I feel sort of safe, sort of......... :oops: :$

Week 3.

This week I went over to Hound Tor and Greator Rocks then across the Becka Brook and up to Smallcombe Rocks, it was very cold and windy with overcast dull conditions in the morning but sunshine in the afternoon. As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Hound Tor in the afternoon light.

042 Hound Tor 08-9851 PS Adj.JPG

Greator Rocks.

009 Greator Rocks 03-2302 PS Adj.JPG

The Clapper Bridge over Becka Brook.

035 Bridleway 09-9830 PS Adj.JPG

Hound Tor and Greator Rocks from Smallcombe Rocks.

024 Hound Tor and Greator Rocks 03-9820 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks, thanks for looking.

Week 4.

This week I took my Bronica SQ-Ai out over to Shelstone Tor looking for snow, unfortunately the film (Portra 160) isn't back yet so the shots here (for now) are digital replicas shot side by side. I will post some of the film shots when I have the scans. As usual the full story and photos can be seen in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog/

Yes Tor and High Willhays with a bit of snow left on them.

002 Yes Tor 01-1010695 PS Adj.JPG

The Bronica set up on Shelstone Tor.

015 Yes Tor and Shelstone Tor (Broni Setup) 09-9869 PS Adj.JPG

What I shot.

011 Yes Tor and Shelstone Tor 06-1010698 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for now folks but keep an eye out for the film shots later in the week.

Week 5.

I was short on time this week so I went on a short walk near to home Foggintor Quarry and Kings Tor. The weather was mizzley at first but cleared. I was hoping the mizzle would still be there when I got to the Quarry but it had cleared though that did make the walk up Kings Tor better. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

The Quarry.

016 Foggintor Quarry 09-1444 PS Adj.JPG

The ruins of the old Quarry Captains House (would have liked the mizzle here).

011 Foggintor Quarry (Ruins) 04-9917 PS Adj.JPG

Inside the Quarry.

019 Foggintor Quarry 12-9934 PS Adj.JPG

The Lone Tree on Kings Tor.

023 Kings Tor (Lone Tree) 02-9945 PS Adj.JPG

Week 6.

This week I took my Bronica out again over Emsworthy Rocks and across to Leighon Tor (not marked on the OS Maps). As usual you can see the full story and pictures ove in my Blog, unfortunately at time of posting I don't have my film scans back but I will add some shots later as a reply. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Lone Tree on Emsworthy Rocks.

008 Emsworthy Rocks (Tree) 05-9995 PS Adj.JPG

Bronica Setup.

007 Emsworthy Rocks (Tree (Broni Setup)) 04-9993 PS Adj.JPG

View of Hound Tor and Hollwell Tor.

011 Hound Tor 03-9999 PS Adj.JPG

Leighon Tor.

026 Leighon Tor 05-0018 PS Adj.JPG

Week 7.

This week I took my Fuji GFX 50S up to Grimspound and over Hameldown Tor. The weather wassupposed to be bright and sunny but I started in a cloud inversion which fogged me in for a while. As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my Blog on ePHOTOzine, https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Vitifer Mine Ruins in the fog.

004 Vitifer Mine 02-0374 PS Adj.JPG

Same shot in the afternoon sun.

029 Vitifer Mine 07-0402 PS Adj.JPG

As I was passing Headland Warren Farm I took a shot with the X-T2 up the valley into the sun.

009 Headland Warren Farm 02-0051 PS Adj.JPG

Grimspound lends itself tpo panoramas and the GFX has a 25x64 aspect ratio which makes framing them easy.

015 Grimspound and Hookney Tor 03-2321 PS Adj.JPG

016 Grimspound and Hookney Tor 04-0385 PS Adj.JPG

Week 8.

Another day of changeable weather on Dartmoor (are there any other kind?) I went from Crockern Tor (The Judge's Chair) over Litteford Tors on to Longaford Tor before dropping down out of the thick cloud into the West Dart Valley and along past Wistman's Wood back to the car. As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

The Judges Chair.

005 Judge's Chair on Crockern Tor 01-0107 PS Adj.JPG

On the way to Littaford Tors I looked back, the low cloud (Fog) was coming.

014 Stile to Littaford Tors 03-0122 PS Adj.JPG

Once on Littaford Tors the cloud caught me up.

022 Littaford Tors 08-0134 PS Adj.JPG

I dropped down into the valley and went along past Wistman's Wood.

031 Wistman's Wood 01-0170 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks Paul, always interested in your Dartmoor trips, fascinating place, shame its so far for me.

Week 8.

Another day of changeable weather on Dartmoor (are there any other kind?) I went from Crockern Tor (The Judge's Chair) over Litteford Tors on to Longaford Tor before dropping down out of the thick cloud into the West Dart Valley and along past Wistman's Wood back to the car. As usual you can see the full story and pictures in my Blog. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

The Judges Chair.

View attachment 382535

On the way to Littaford Tors I looked back, the low cloud (Fog) was coming.

View attachment 382536

Once on Littaford Tors the cloud caught me up.

View attachment 382537

I dropped down into the valley and went along past Wistman's Wood.

View attachment 382538

Those trees and lichen are amazing, I would want to spend all day with them.

Those trees and lichen are amazing, I would want to spend all day with them.
I know but sadly these days we are only allowed to shoot from the outside, not go into the wood where there are loads of really interesting trees. Unfortunately in the recent past there have been some less than respectful groups of people camping and partying in these woods and they have caused some damage to the mosses and lichens so the NT have imposed a self regulating ban on going inside. The trouble is it's only the responsible ones of us (that wouldn't cause damage anyway) that will honour this ban. A sign of the times I'm afraid.

• Sad
Reactions: zx9
I know but sadly these days we are only allowed to shoot from the outside, not go into the wood where there are loads of really interesting trees. Unfortunately in the recent past there have been some less than respectful groups of people camping and partying in these woods and they have caused some damage to the mosses and lichens so the NT have imposed a self regulating ban on going inside. The trouble is it's only the responsible ones of us (that wouldn't cause damage anyway) that will honour this ban. A sign of the times I'm afraid.

Nothing 'sadly' about it. You shouldn't go in, though as you say some folk don't think it applies to them. The sad bit is that none of the problems Dartmoor has are new. It was all going on when I was there 30 years ago. What's changed is social media. Someone posts something and everyone wants to go there. Wistmans Wood is probably top of the must see list. Where are the wisht hounds when you need them?
Always enjoy reading your blog btw

Nothing 'sadly' about it. You shouldn't go in, though as you say some folk don't think it applies to them. The sad bit is that none of the problems Dartmoor has are new. It was all going on when I was there 30 years ago. What's changed is social media. Someone posts something and everyone wants to go there. Wistmans Wood is probably top of the must see list. Where are the wisht hounds when you need them?
Always enjoy reading your blog btw
I understand what you are saying Jan, I've lived on the edge of Dartmoor since the 1970s so I know what you mean but I still think it is sad that responsible people who would take care in the environment are the only people who will stay out now so those who don't care will still damage the environment, that is what I meant by sadly.

Thanks for visiting my Blog btw it all helps.

Last edited:
Week 9.

This week I wanted to get out with my Bronica and some Provia 100F so I went over to Rippon Tor and the Rifle Range, unfortunately my film is not back yet but I did replicate my shots with digital so can show a couple of those. It was bitter cold and windy and my brain must have frozen because I forgot to take my usual setup shots of the Bronica.

As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog.

Rippon Tor from Hemsworthy Gate Car Park.

034 Rippon Tor 01-0246 PS Adj.JPG

Haytor Rocks and Saddle Tor from Rippon Tor.

007 Haytor Rocks from Rippon Tor 02-0206 PS Adj.JPG

One of the Bronica shot replicated on digital from the top of Rippon Tor overlooking Haytor Rocks.

005 Haytor Rocks from Rippon Tor 01-1010740 PS Adj.JPG

A couple from the old Rifle Range.

024 Rippon Tor Rifle Range 05-0221 PS Adj.JPG

027 Rippon Tor Rifle Range 08-0224 PS Adj.JPG

Last edited:
Reminds me of being out that way in winter when I couldn't take any photos on Rippon because the wind was too strong. It had already knocked me over once and threatened to do so several more times. I'd come across from Harefoot Cross, Buckland Beacon and a couple of very muddy bits of common to those little bridges on the Ashburn (lovely spot) then walked up the lane towards Cold East Cross and followed the west side of the wall via Nutcrackers to Rippon. It's dry but was still a hard slog uphill and into the wind. Ponsworthy always reminds me of the first time I went through there in my first Defender. I hadn't been there for a while and had forgotten how narrow the bridge is, came tanking down the hill in a vehicle with very little in the way of brakes.......... I think I just pointed the bull bar and closed my eyes, but we made it.
I'd be interested to know about access to the rifle range as I'd love a poke round. I've not been in - can't remember if it was possible to get in or not when I've been past.

Reminds me of being out that way in winter when I couldn't take any photos on Rippon because the wind was too strong. It had already knocked me over once and threatened to do so several more times. I'd come across from Harefoot Cross, Buckland Beacon and a couple of very muddy bits of common to those little bridges on the Ashburn (lovely spot) then walked up the lane towards Cold East Cross and followed the west side of the wall via Nutcrackers to Rippon. It's dry but was still a hard slog uphill and into the wind. Ponsworthy always reminds me of the first time I went through there in my first Defender. I hadn't been there for a while and had forgotten how narrow the bridge is, came tanking down the hill in a vehicle with very little in the way of brakes.......... I think I just pointed the bull bar and closed my eyes, but we made it.
I'd be interested to know about access to the rifle range as I'd love a poke round. I've not been in - can't remember if it was possible to get in or not when I've been past.
I will try to find out about access but since I went there I have looked at several videos on YouTube and iin them there are several people wandering around even on top of the Stop Butt and noone seems to be trying to hide. On the broken pedestrian gate there is a makeshift sign saying please use the main gate which is a locked vehicle gate with a gap beside it for pedestrians so I'd guess the owner isn't bothered that people go in. From what I saw also there are no real barriers to the Rippon Tor side so you could just walk in that way I just didn't want to slog all my film kit (20+ kilos) across the scrubby/boggy ground so drove around.

Week 10.

This week I was hemmed in with bad weather to both the North and South with a gap across from Tavistock over towards Widecombe and Moretonhampstead so I decided to go over Yar and Corndon Tors hopefully in the better weather. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog on ePHOTOzine, https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

View of Sharp Tor from Yar Tor.

006 Yar Tor 04-1460 PS Adj.JPG

This is a rather intricate spiral rock wind shelter on top of Yar Tor.

010 Yar Tor 08-1466 PS Adj.JPG

Both Yar and Corndon Tors look very unassuming from the roads but when on top they show a much more interesting display of rocky outcrops, these are Corndon Tor.

029 Corndon Tor 07-1502 PS Adj.JPG

025 Corndon Tor 03-1491 PS Adj.JPG

That's all for this week folks, thanks for looking in.

Week 11.

This week with blue skies and white clouds forecast I went for a round trip from Postbridge Visitor Centre around Braddon Lake Rocks, Braddon Tor then to Arch Tor with a small detour up to Lower White Tor the one that I was fogged off 3 weeks ago. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Lower White Tor.

028 Lower White Tor 05-1519 PS Adj.JPG

Braddon Lake Rocks.

006 Braddon Lake Rocks 02-0307 PS Adj.JPG

Braddon Tor (and an unforecast change in the waether on its way).

012 Braddon Tor (Storm Coming) 05-0320 PS Adj.JPG

Arch Tor.

032 Arch Tor 01-0357 PS Adj.JPG

Wildlife (not usually my bag but I put these 2 young Red Deer up whilst Gorse Bashing my way back to the Car Park)

037 Young Red Deer 02-6375 PS Adj.JPG

That's it for this week folks, thanks for looking in.

Lovely work Paul (y)
Thanks Gav, not quite up to your standards with the wildlife but I just had enough time to get my X-T2 and 50-140 out for those Deer. Being a landscaper primarily I see a fair bit of wildlife on Dartmoor but rarely am I in a position to get a shot I'm usually just happy watching with my Binos.

Thanks Gav, not quite up to your standards with the wildlife but I just had enough time to get my X-T2 and 50-140 out for those Deer. Being a landscaper primarily I see a fair bit of wildlife on Dartmoor but rarely am I in a position to get a shot I'm usually just happy watching with my Binos.
Sometimes wish I'd sit down and just watch, sometimes feel I've missed something.

I love the landscapes down your way, thank you for sharing them, I miss hills and features found down there.

Week 12.

Once again I was dodging bad weather, I went overto the Drizzlecombe Stone Row via Ditsworthy Warren House then over to PLym Steps, up to the Hartor Tors then back to the car via Eylesbarrow Dissused Tin Mine. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Ditsworthy Warren House.

008 Ditsworthy Warren House 04-1520 PS Adj.JPG

Drizzlecombe Stone Row.

010 Drizzlecombe Stone Row 01-0384 PS Adj.JPG

Drizzlecombe Menhir.

012 Drizzlecombe Stone Row (Menhir) 03-0392 PS Adj.JPG

On the way to PLym Steps I passed Higher Hartor Tor.

016 Higher Hartor Tor 01-0402 PS Adj.JPG

Plym Steps.

019 Plym Steps 02-0412 PS Adj.JPG

Lower Hartor Tor.

021 Lower Hartor Tor 02-0418 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking in.

Week 13.

A very wet Tuesday on Dartmoor this week so I headed for the "shelter" of Venford Brook and the Falls. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Venfor Brook is sitting under these clouds.

001 Rainclouds 01-0443 PS Adj.JPG

The Falls were in full flow, this fallen tree has moved every time I have been here.

009 Venford Falls 01-0453 PS Adj.JPG

There were other rapids to shoot downstream but the way was blocked just beyond here with more fallen trees.

013 Venford Brook Downstream Rapids 02-0470 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Week 14.

With sunshine and white clouds forecast I decided to go up to Belstone Tors this week, I went via Scarey Tor then over to The Irishman's Wall before looping back around Higher and Winter Tors. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com/user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Scarey Tor.

005 Scarey Tor 04-0482 PS Adj.JPG

One of the Belstone Tors.

018 Belstone Tors 09-0436 PS Adj.JPG

The Logan Stone at The Irishman's Wall.

023 Belstone Tors (Logan Stone) 14-0448 PS Adj.JPG

I saw this Holly Bush in one of the rock formations.

030 Higher Tor Holly Bush 01-0524 PS Adj.JPG

This is the view from Higher Tor looking South across the open Moor.

033 View South from Higher Tor 01-0527 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking, as always comments welcome.

Week 15.

This week the weather was looking wet all week except on Monday so I decided at the last minute to go out on Monday afternoon instead of my normal Tuesday morning. I needed to stay local so as not to waste too much time driving so I opted for Black Tor Falls and Hart Tor. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

Black Tor and Hart Tor.

027 Black Tor & Hart Tor 01-0572 PS Adj.JPG

Black Tor Falls.

012 Black Tor Falls 02-0562 PS Adj.JPG

On the way back the weather was looking decidedly gloomy.

026 Storm Clouds over Leather Tor 01-0569 PS Adj.JPG

It cleared pretty quickly though.

028 Raddick Newtake Wall 01-0573 PS Adj.JPG

Thanks for looking, as always comments welcome.

Dartmoor isn't a place I'm familiar with, last visited over fifty years ago as a kid, but enjoy dipping into this thread. I recently bought a book about Whitefaced Dartmoor sheep. There's a lot in the book about the moor's history, place names, ruins, stones etc. as well as about the farming families and sheep farming over the years. It might be of interest to some who know the moor.

Dartmoor isn't a place I'm familiar with, last visited over fifty years ago as a kid, but enjoy dipping into this thread. I recently bought a book about Whitefaced Dartmoor sheep. There's a lot in the book about the moor's history, place names, ruins, stones etc. as well as about the farming families and sheep farming over the years. It might be of interest to some who know the moor.

Thanks Dave. (y)

Week 16.

This week with good weather forecast I decided to take my Bronica out over Dinger, East and West Mill Tors. As usual you can see the full story and photos in my Blog over on ePHOTOzine. https://www.ephotozine.com//user/topsyrm-149719/blog

View of West Mill from East Mill Tor (Fuji X-T2).

021 East Mill Tor 06-0616 PS Adj.JPG

Dinger Tor (Fuji X-T2).

011  Dinger Tor 05-0600 PS Adj.JPG

East Mill Tor (Bronica Portra 160).

106 East Mill Tor 01-98320001 PS Adj (6).JPG

West Mill Tor (Bronica Portra 160).

113 West Mill Tor 05-98320015 PS Adj V2.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Was that Tuesday? I was a bit further over - started from South Zeal, around the top and west side of Cosdon, Hound Tor, Wild Tor, then back over the top of Cosdon as I wanted to photograph the bond post on Foxes Holt. It was very murky when I set out but it was clearing by the time I got round to the ford on Lady Brook.
I think the last time I was at Dinger Tor I was eating my lunch in warm sun sitting up on top. That sticks in my mind because it's so rare. Tuesday I was hunkered down on the lee side of Hound Tor triying to keep out of the wind. Unusual in itself as for once the wind wasn't blowing round every side.............

Yes
Was that Tuesday? I was a bit further over - started from South Zeal, around the top and west side of Cosdon, Hound Tor, Wild Tor, then back over the top of Cosdon as I wanted to photograph the bond post on Foxes Holt. It was very murky when I set out but it was clearing by the time I got round to the ford on Lady Brook.
I think the last time I was at Dinger Tor I was eating my lunch in warm sun sitting up on top. That sticks in my mind because it's so rare. Tuesday I was hunkered down on the lee side of Hound Tor triying to keep out of the wind. Unusual in itself as for once the wind wasn't blowing round every side.............
Yes it was Tuesday the clag seemed to sit around for ages despite strong winds. :headbang:

Back