Toshiba Chromebook 2

Did people in those businesses use Chromebooks at school?

Of course they did. ;)

But seriously, until there is a truly unified standard where a document will display the same in every version from every company then there will have to be a single office suite that everyone uses. Things may be different now, but when I bought a Mac in 2009 the spreadsheet program that Apple provided could not display some basic graphs created in the then current version of excel, and word documents were all over the place (openoffice managed much better than the apple products at the time). It's not a case of being fussy - things simply didn't work properly. I currently create a monthly news sheet that I send to a friend with a Mac for printing - if he edits the document on his Macbook or if I adjust it in Libreoffice then the formatting gets broken.

Do Microsoft have a monopoly - certainly. But few businesses would feel it worth taking a stand over this, and it would matter a wet slap what the new employees grew up using when the company standard is MO.

With the online versions you wouldn't save the document locally and then send it. Other people have access to the same data via the service too. You are thinking of the old way.

And nobody would need to take a stand. Microsoft Office will only improve at the slowest pace. Other companies will need to offer more. Making the market innovative.

What you describe is the state of things when left up to a powerful monopoly doing their their utmost to cripple other programs compatibility. Change is happening. And the youngsters understand the benefits already.

Last edited:
I can confirm that office 365 works just fine on my chromebook. No problem at all.

With the online versions you wouldn't save the document locally and then send it. Other people have access to the same data via the service too. You are thinking of the old way.

I didn't mention anything about online versions or where docs were saved, but the organisation I work for already stores everything 'in the cloud', and frankly it's a pile of poo for users. That will improve, but you're only as good as your bandwidth will allow. The only way work can be done sometimes is using local copies, which is actually worse than having everything based locally. The cloud/virtual working isn't really fit for purpose yet in this country.

And nobody would need to take a stand. Microsoft Office will only improve at the slowest pace. Other companies will need to offer more. Making the market innovative.

What you describe is the state of things when left up to a powerful monopoly doing their their utmost to cripple other programs compatibility. Change is happening. And the youngsters understand the benefits already.

Change has always been happening, but this monopoly will continue until it's legislated against. Big companies will always work to protect their market, and to do otherwise would not be in the interests of their shareholders.

Yes the cloud is pooh at the moment. But that's the same for the Office 360 you mentioned. I'm sure US schools are coping and adapting.

Change has been happening. Yes. But not linearly. And it's these crucial breaks in the monopolies where change is fastest. Celebrate the potential of an alternative to Microsoft. They don't hold a vice like grip any more. The US education market is one of those tell tales. A chink in their armour is all that is needed. Once the cat is out of the bag, they've spilled the beans and the genie is out of the bottle. So then the balloon goes up and Microsoft get knocked for six end up with egg on their face. (thank you Yes Prime Minister)

Last edited:
How many metaphores can one include in one post?

This morning has again given me a deep loathing of cloud-based working. All I want is to be able to get on with my work, and anything that gets in the way isn't good - I don't care about who makes the office suite as long as it works for me, and reduces, rather than increases, my levels of stress and pressure.

How many metaphores can one include in one post?

This morning has again given me a deep loathing of cloud-based working. All I want is to be able to get on with my work, and anything that gets in the way isn't good - I don't care about who makes the office suite as long as it works for me, and reduces, rather than increases, my levels of stress and pressure.

And if you are travelling, there isn't always a mobile data connection. Which is why I didn't get a Chromebook last time. That, and you couldn't add Apps as you can now. On the train, without free wifi, I have to do all my web stuff when we pass through a city.

Last edited:
And if you are travelling, there isn't always a mobile data connection. Which is why I didn't get a Chromebook last time. That, and you couldn't add Apps as you can now. On the train, without free wifi, I have to do all my web stuff when we pass through cities.

of course if you hack it and put a linux distro on instead that isnt an issue (although that begs the question of why start with a chrome book)

of course if you hack it and put a linux distro on instead that isnt an issue (although that begs the question of why start with a chrome book)
Yes. They made that easy apparently. I was scared off, perhaps wrongly, by the wimpy CPUs the cheap Chromebooks had. I ended up with a quad core Android one which I'm pleased with.

Last edited:
Because there is no way I can get a laptop for less than £200 with such a good screen/keyboard/ssd/weight etc. The machine is absolutely brilliant for how little money it cost.
Yes. They made that easy apparently. I was scared off, perhaps wrongly, by the wimpy CPUs the cheap Chromebooks had. I ended up with a quad core Android one which I'm pleased with.
That totally depends on what you do with it. If it is for consumption, office production and very light photo/video my baytrail one is absolutely fine.

A blast from the past but my Toshiba CB2 has an issue where the battery had died and power is stuck on a certain % and as soon as you pull out the power cord it dies! Having searched online it seems a common problem.

This thing was great for catching up on admin tasks and generally being the go to device for getting non intensive tasks done over an iPad. The battery, screen and keyboard were decent and OS was light and nippy.

Any ideas for a replacement CB?

My chromebook does this sometimes I believe the battery is stuck in shipping mode. If you turn it on shut lid, open lid turn off then leave the power cord connected it will start charging after 10 minutes.

Led light should switch from flashing white light to Orange.

I gave it a go and it is still the same. Annoying as any movement and the power trips out and goes.

Whilst it is plugged in and charging disconnect the lead from the transformer part of the power lead and push it back in firmly.

Back