Beginner Total Beginner Nikon Lens advice

I can agree with that, although the D70 did achieve AF almost every time the converter was used (come to think of it, so did the F65 and F80). Never tried in really low light - none of the above were particularly good in those conditions!

No. The OP's camera would lose the ability to autofocus, and the image would be significantly degraded.

Teleconverters should only really be used with prime lenses and professional-spec zooms. Anything else, and the image degradation is so great that you'd be better off just cropping and enlarging your photo. The lens manufacturers advise which lenses should be capable of being used with teleconverters, and they often engineer them so that the teleconverter simply will not fit on "unsuitable" lenses. The Sigma 70-300mm which the OP has is not deemed suitable for teleconverter use by Sigma.
Pretty sure that my old D70 would still AF with the old 18-70 kit lens on a 1.5x teleconverter. The image was significantly degraded though! AF was a little slower and hunted a bit in low light with low contrast scenes but it would focus.
Perhaps I should have said "lose the ability to reliably autofocus".

Phase-detect AF mechanisms used in DSLRs work better with faster lenses, and worse or not at all with slower lenses. Entry-level DSLRs typically start to struggle as soon as the maximum aperture of the lens (or lens+teleconverter combo) goes below f/5.6. Most consumer zooms, including the one the OP has, are f/5.6 at the long end, for exactly this reason, so when you fit a teleconverter you go to f/8 and beyond and reliable autofocus cannot be guaranteed. But the way the camera manufacturers deal with this differs. Canon seem to favour predictability; they bake the f/5.6 limit into the firmware, and if your maximum aperture is less than f/5.6 the camera simply won't try to autofocus, but if your maximum aperture is OK then you'll get full performance from the autofocus system. Nikon seem to favour performance; the camera will try to autofocus whatever the aperture, and below f/5.6 it may or may not succeed. There will be times when the Nikon achieves focus that Canon wouldn't have bothered trying; there will be times when the Nikon user is frustrated because the camera can't achieve focus, where the Canon user would have known it wasn't possible and wouldn't have wasted time on it. I don't think either approach is necessarily preferable; they're just different.

Thank you for your replies. Very interesting read for me. I am fairly new to ILC cameras. My cameras are the older point and shoot variety. My main camera is a Canon sx120is that I generally shoot only manual mode with. I love it for its 6.0-60.0 telephoto at f2.8 to 4.3. That fast a lens gives me nice bright images on the long end. Just got a used Olympus PL5. Looking forward to learning more on how to work with it. Thank you for your replies and interesting information. Good shooting.

That sigma lens in particular is probably one of the worst starter lenses I can think of for wildlife ,it seems to fit the bill but doesn’t and sometimes gets results but not really good enough .. depending on budget I would be looking for either a sigma 80-400 o.s or a sigma 150-500o.s these are both older lenses but will give far better results with there image stabilisers than what you have now . And one little tip do not under any circumstances put any filters on your lenses for wildlife , I have seen so many pictures ruined by learners putting a £5 e.bay filter on a £600 lens take them off and forget you own them

In short .. keep the kit you have now. Learn how and when to shoot along with all the camera basics. I have the Nikon 70-300 as my first "longer reach lens" .. I also have the Nikon 300mm f2.8 , Sigma 150-600 Sport and now the Nikon 600mm f4 ... The last lenses are not something you want to walk around with .. especially all day. My best photos have been from 300mm .. up close and personal .. I know your 70-300 needs good light but it can do very well if you learn it's best qualities. Build a birdbox in the garden, go to animal parks, zoos, the coast, the forest .. practise loads before getting bigger and better and then you just have to buy once .. but move closer to the subject .. feet are better than a longer lens :)

Back