Total lunar eclipse (Blood moon) Friday 27th July

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I see there is a blood moon due on Friday 27th July between 21:20 and 23:00ish. Is anyone planning any landscape type shoots accordingly?

Blood moon? Oh, you mean total lunar eclipse. Sorry but as an astronomer terms like blood moon and super moon just bug me. Having got that little rant out of my system.......... Should be an interesting one as the moon rises eclipsed and with all the high pressure murk in the atmosphere it could be quite good, but could also be very dark. Every eclipse is different in brightness and colour and you can't predict what it'll be. For landscape I guess the best will be with it just rising, so you'd need somewhere with a good south easterly horizon. Moonrise for me in the SW is about 2058 BST with sunset at 2105. Mid eclipse is 2121 with the total phase ending at 2213. Also Mars is at opposition (at its closest to Earth) the same night and is close to the Moon, rising about 45 mins after the Moon. For anyone with a scope, Mars usually has a planet wide dust storm around opposition and this one's no exception...........:( And atm the weather forecast for me is clear at 2100 but cloudy by 2200, but somewhere a butterfly will flap its wings and that will all change....;)

A nice red moon and possibly a chance for some very long lens landscapes and a little hope to cash in.

I guess it will be just a little bit more red and dimmer than usual at the moonrise, and sadly a little smaller too. It is so called "micromoon" this time. But I'm sure some media outlets will still run with this like crazy as they presumably have nothing better to write.

The subjects that spring to mind would be Glastonbury Tor (probably wrong time of year though), or some castle in Wales or peak in Snowdownia... Probably even Broadway Tower from a distance

Anyone else got a goto list for the moon?

Last edited:
The subjects that spring to mind would be Glastonbury Tor (probably wrong time of year though), or some castle in Wales or peak in Snowdownia... Probably even Broadway Tower from a distance

Anyone else got a goto list for the moon?
It's not quite as simple as that. I mean, you can have a list, but which subject(s) you can use on any given day will vary. That's because the compass bearing of moon rise varies significantly from day to day, and you need to have a vantage point on the right bearing and at a suitable distance.

About a year ago there was a discussion about how to photograph the full moon rising over the Shard in London, which illustrates some of the issues. The thread is here:
[URL]https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photographers-ephemeris-and-the-like.655192/ [/url]

On Friday the moon rises on a compass bearing of 122°. (From Maidenhead. YMMV, slightly.) That's about as far south as the moon ever rises, so the good news is that the Shard photo we were discussing last year is possible if anyone wants to go to Primrose Hill.

The other thing to bear in mind is the distance to your subject. The moon is pretty much the same size in the sky all year round (it varies by up to +/- 10% compared to its average size, due to the ellipticity of its orbit), but your subject will look bigger in the frame if you're closer to it and smaller if you're further from it. So ideally you want to consider that for compositional purposes. The moon is roughly 120 times as far away as it is big (on average). So if your subject is 120 times as far away as it is big, it will appear the same size as the moon in the frame; if it is 60 times as far away as it is big, it will appear twice as large as the moon in the frame, and so on.

For example, the tower on Glastonbury Tor is probably about 20 metres high, and in this photo it's a bit more than half the size of the moon. So to take this you'd want to be about 200 times as far away as the tower is tall, which comes to maybe about 4 km. And on a bearing of 302° from the tower of course, so that when you look back at it, it's at 122° from you. But the bearing is the key thing; different distances will give you different compositions but it's not critical. The bearing is critical.

the-supermoon-rises-behind-glastonbury-tor-on-september-28.jpeg

[Not my photo. Found on Google, tagged as OK to reuse.]

And actually this might be possible on Friday. This is Google Maps / Street View at a range of 3.5 km, on a bearing of 299°. Ideally you'd want to be just off the road to the left somewhere, if that's possible (which it might not be).

upload_2018-7-25_8-31-19.png

And im assuming focal lengths for that sort of shot have to be in the region of 300mm?

I've used 400mm last time and it was just barely "there". This is one of a few occasions where I'd really love to have that 600mm or even 800.

On Friday the moon rises on a compass bearing of 122°. (From Maidenhead. YMMV, slightly.) That's about as far south as the moon ever rises, so the good news is that the Shard photo we were discussing last year is possible if anyone wants to go to Primrose Hill.

View attachment 131071

Is it in any sort of congestion charging zone?

@StewartR

Should be possible to get in the fields there.

My Sister used to live in Walton and I know that area quite well. (Roger Wilkins famous cider farm is just up the road in Mudgely).

No. Primrose Hill is immediately to the north of London Zoo, which you can see at the top of this map.
It's not in the CCZ, and it's not necessary to enter the CCZ to get there, regardless of which direction you're coming from.

If you're driving a truck or a bus, or an elderly 4x4 or pickup, then you might need to worry about the LEZ (Low Emission Zone), which covers most of Greater London, but that's a separate issue.

Congestion-Charging-Map_small.png

It's not quite as simple as that. I mean, you can have a list, but which subject(s) you can use on any given day will vary. That's because the compass bearing of moon rise varies significantly from day to day, and you need to have a vantage point on the right bearing and at a suitable distance.

About a year ago there was a discussion about how to photograph the full moon rising over the Shard in London, which illustrates some of the issues. The thread is here:
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/photographers-ephemeris-and-the-like.655192/

The other thing to bear in mind is the distance to your subject. The moon is pretty much the same size in the sky all year round (it varies by up to +/- 10% compared to its average size, due to the ellipticity of its orbit), but your subject will look bigger in the frame if you're closer to it and smaller if you're further from it. So ideally you want to consider that for compositional purposes. The moon is roughly 120 times as far away as it is big (on average). So if your subject is 120 times as far away as it is big, it will appear the same size as the moon in the frame; if it is 60 times as far away as it is big, it will appear twice as large as the moon in the frame, and so on.

For example, the tower on Glastonbury Tor is probably about 20 metres high, and in this photo it's a bit more than half the size of the moon. So to take this you'd want to be about 200 times as far away as the tower is tall, which comes to maybe about 4 km. And on a bearing of 302° from the tower of course, so that when you look back at it, it's at 122° from you. But the bearing is the key thing; different distances will give you different compositions but it's not critical. The bearing is critical.

the-supermoon-rises-behind-glastonbury-tor-on-september-28.jpeg

And actually this might be possible on Friday. This is Google Maps / Street View at a range of 3.5 km, on a bearing of 299°. Ideally you'd want to be just off the road to the left somewhere, if that's possible (which it might not be).

View attachment 131071

Thanks for that explanation. The physics of it all make sense, but it's nice to have some figures to go along with it.

If it's not a washout on Friday evening I might go to the coast (Anderby Creek), tide times look quite favourable. Just wish my county had a slightly more interesting coastline!

No. Primrose Hill is immediately to the north of London Zoo, which you can see at the top of this map.
It's not in the CCZ, and it's not necessary to enter the CCZ to get there, regardless of which direction you're coming from.

If you're driving a truck or a bus, or an elderly 4x4 or pickup, then you might need to worry about the LEZ (Low Emission Zone), which covers most of Greater London, but that's a separate issue.

Congestion-Charging-Map_small.png
Just to add congestion charge is only applicable till 6pm. the the moon rise is fair bit after this so no need worry :)

If it's not a washout on Friday evening I might go to the coast (Anderby Creek), tide times look quite favourable. Just wish my county had a slightly more interesting coastline!

I wish my county had a coastline :(

So any ideas where to shoot it from south coast? Spinnaker tower so portsdown hill or Devils Dyke or Buster Hill near peters field

So any ideas where to shoot it from south coast? Spinnaker tower so portsdown hill or Devils Dyke or Buster Hill near peters field
If you want to see the moon rising over the Spinnaker Tower, you need to find somewhere on a bearing of 302° from the tower. That's in the direction of Southampton.

If you want to see the moon rising over the Spinnaker Tower, you need to find somewhere on a bearing of 302° from the tower. That's in the direction of Southampton.

Thank you..... how could I then plot the direction of that on a pc?

search The Photographers Ephereris, use the Web option, change the date to the 27th. move the pin to the west of the tower lining up the blue/grey line with the tower

search The Photographers Ephereris, use the Web option, change the date to the 27th. move the pin to the west of the tower lining up the blue/grey line with the tower

Ah great Idea thank you !! Just was having a brain fart [emoji100]

I'm not sure that Matt Cardy & Getty would agree with that. Especially without the watermark.
Oh, that's interesting @DemiLion. I searched for images in Google, and I specifically activated the filter to limit the search to images which were "labeled for reuse". I thought that would be OK, but perhaps I was being slightly naive. I'll replace the image with a different one or a link.

Do you mind a couple of follow-up questions?
1. Could usage like this, where an image is being used to illustrate a technical argument, be deemed to be fair dealing?
2. If not, would creating a small version of it be OK? (Or would that just compound the offence?)
3. Are there any reliable approaches to finding images on the Internet which are OK for [this sort of] reuse?

Last edited:
Okay folks, if you're planning on going up to a vantage point to get photos tomorrow, keep an eye on the weather.
It doesn't need to be raining to get lightning. electro.gif

Okay folks, if you're planning on going up to a vantage point to get photos tomorrow, keep an eye on the weather.
It doesn't need to be raining to get lightning. View attachment 131131
I'm in awe of people that are brave enough to stand in the middle of fields or on hills when it's thundering. I tried to brave it several weeks ago but felt it was too dangerous and quickly retreated to the car

I'm in awe of people that are brave enough to stand in the middle of fields or on hills when it's thundering.
I'm not sure "brave" is the word you were looking for here. "Stupid" comes to mind quite readily.

I managed to get this in January on the "Blue Blood Supermoon".. I spent months planning it and being in various locations checking moon rises, bearings, obstacles etc etc. To get it behind the spinnaker directly I would have had to be in the sea, which is not so convenient. I ended up in a muddy field, in my wellies, in a three piece suit having dashed out of work early.

I think the images such a Glastonbury Tor are really effective and would like to do more. The main difficulty you will find is getting a clear line of sight, from the distance you need to be to create the effect.

This was shot on my 5D4 with 400 DO ii with 1.4iii tele, 1/40 1600 iso at F8

View media item 13276

Can’t see the image on my phone

Planned to head out after work and find somewhere in the Hope Valley to set up and try and get something good.

Unfortunately I've ruined my knee last Sunday so it'll not be happening :(

Oh, that's interesting @DemiLion. I searched for images in Google, and I specifically activated the filter to limit the search to images which were "labeled for reuse". I thought that would be OK, but perhaps I was being slightly naive. I'll replace the image with a different one or a link.

Do you mind a couple of follow-up questions?
1. Could usage like this, where an image is being used to illustrate a technical argument, be deemed to be fair dealing?
2. If not, would creating a small version of it be OK? (Or would that just compound the offence?)
3. Are there any reliable approaches to finding images on the Internet which are OK for [this sort of] reuse?

1) Possibly but given that this is a public forum makes it far less likely.

2) Nope, that's just as bad

3) Realistically the only safe way to use an image (which you've attempted to. However the way that TP addresses linked images ironically makes infringement more of a likelihood.
In order for a linked image to fall under the guidelines of the ECJ ruling you need to be able to click through to its original source; which the TP Proxy system prevents. It also masks the original URL, which again is a bit naughty.
The concept is to prevent orphaned images.

Getty have their own terms for free use by non-money making blogs, which include compulsory use of their watermark (again to prevent orphaning) and a working click through.

Okay, I'll bring my gear along with me tomorrow for work then if weather permits I'll drive to Primrose Hill to try the shots.... who's going from TP?

I have plans to go as well. I'll catch the tube and probably walk from Regents park.

My lens is rather pedestrian though :(
May be i can find a friendly shooter there and borrow his lens :D ;)

Back