Totally wire-free headphones/earbuds recommendations?

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
No

I'm after some totally wire-free earbuds that have good sound quality, and really importantly absolutely stay put when running. I don't mind if they have hooks over the ears but I don't want any dangly wires. Also, if they have hooks I still want the seal in the ear to stay put. I've currently got some over ear wired ones but they don't stay in my ear canal and so sound quality is pants.

My budget is around £150, can anyone recommend any please? They are to be paired with an iphone.

Apple AirPods? How does she find the comfort of the standard EarPods?

She????? ;)

I don't like AirPods.
I'm going mad... I could have sworn your post was asking for headphones for your Wife ...

Anyway beyond AirPods or the Beats option, can't help much ... hate in ear myself ... sticking with my old fashioned wired P5 headphones.

The gadget show on Channel 5 did a test and review on a few sets recently. May be worth having a look at that.

Then realise whatever you bought from Sennheiser could be beaten by carefully selection from other brands? >:)
Plus you visit their site and see that they don't have any truly wireless earphones :facepalm:

The gadget show on Channel 5 did a test and review on a few sets recently. May be worth having a look at that.
Thanks, I'll look into it (y)

I'm after some totally wire-free earbuds that have good sound quality, and really importantly absolutely stay put when running. I don't mind if they have hooks over the ears but I don't want any dangly wires. Also, if they have hooks I still want the seal in the ear to stay put. I've currently got some over ear wired ones but they don't stay in my ear canal and so sound quality is pants.

My budget is around £150, can anyone recommend any please? They are to be paired with an iphone.

Jaybird X3 (not X2)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/jaybird-x3-review

Despite them having a wire (which I didn't want) the wire management system looks quite good. One of the reason I wanted totally unwired buds was so that I can just wear one in one ear so that I can still hear ambient sound, but I guess I could just not seat one into the ear canal. Food for thought.

Sorry should have read more carefully!!

If you're after earphones that allow you to hear ambient sounds while running take a look at Backbeat fit by plantronics. I've got a pair and really like them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're after earphones that allow you to hear ambient sounds while running take a look at Backbeat fit by plantronics. Over got s pair and really like them.
Thanks, will take a look.

Thanks, will take a look.

They don’t fulfil the requirements in your original post in that they are connected behind your head, but they are definitely suitable for running and allow a lot of ambient sound in. Imagine putting your little finger into your ear so it is just touching your ear, that is about how much they reduce the sound. Build quality is good, they have around 8hrs of batter and charge of a micro usb. Since they are not IEM's they are not audiophile quality, but i don’t like running with IEMs as the thud thud thud is annoying.

Have a look at the soundpeats on amazon. They have hooks so stay on very well in the gym for me and the sound for me was better than my previous pair of bluetooth ear buds which were Jaybirds X2. Best of all they are only about £15. I'm very pleased with them and judging by the amount of reviews on amazon, plenty of others are too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-...TF8&qid=1491152335&sr=8-5&keywords=soundpeats

Another vote for Jaybirds here, although not truly wireless the cable management is top, they stay in my ears and come with a wide variety of fitment buds and hooks. I've got the X2's.

A colleague of mine has Airpods, or should I say "1 Airpod", he thought they were decent, not spectacular (although the charging case was pretty trick!), and now he's gone and lost 1 of them whilst he was out running.

Another vote for Jaybirds here, although not truly wireless the cable management is top, they stay in my ears and come with a wide variety of fitment buds and hooks. I've got the X2's.

A colleague of mine has Airpods, or should I say "1 Airpod", he thought they were decent, not spectacular (although the charging case was pretty trick!), and now he's gone and lost 1 of them whilst he was out running.
Thanks. I'm leaning towards the jaybirds but I have one query about them. As you may have read above one of the reason for wanting wireless is so that I can just wear one so that I can hear external noise. With the jaybirds do they stay put without actually inserting the earpiece fully into the ear? This way I could have one inserted and one not and therefore still hear ambient noise. I know that you can wrap them over the top of the ear and wondered how secure they are doing this but not actually inserting the earpiece?

Why not get your ear pierced at the top and bottom of the pinna and then you could attach an earbud to a large safety pin such that it was just clear of your ear canal? More or less guaranteed not to come off in normal use and good for ambient sounds.

Why not get your ear pierced at the top and bottom of the pinna and then you could attach an earbud to a large safety pin such that it was just clear of your ear canal? More or less guaranteed not to come off in normal use and good for ambient sounds.
Damn, now why didn't I think of that :LOL:

We can make a custom glove to fit anything you decide to get, and that way they wont fall out of your ears when running. We also do a Bluetooth set, but if I remember, a little over your budget :)

We can make a custom glove to fit anything you decide to get, and that way they wont fall out of your ears when running. We also do a Bluetooth set, but if I remember, a little over your budget :)
Who's we Paul?

Not tried them, so no idea on the quality. But the Samsung IconX might fit the bill. They're fitness trackers as well if that floats your boat.

Not tried them, so no idea on the quality. But the Samsung IconX might fit the bill. They're fitness trackers as well if that floats your boat.
Thanks. Have looked at those but apparently sound quality's not the best :(

Back