Toxicity in Photography communities

M43 will die soon!

Click! Click! Click! :ROFLMAO:

some people just don't have anything constructive things to say. So when your opinion doesn't match theirs they simply throw s*** around to cover that up.

happens a lot in politics too and is seldom useful for the country yet we vote for these people.

I feel like no matter what your response to this on here you're going to have someone rant and rave at you about it. BUT ... being the honest blunt type that I is - what a lengthy whine of a video ... surprise surprise the Northrups tarring all 'Fartagrapgers' with the same brush. They are right for the most part, but I feel a lot of it is them venting, because they do get a lot of hate. They're in that position, when you hit 1m+ subs you're just going to get it, they get a lot less than much bigger channels in almost every other area I would bet.

The whole Format vs Format thing, mine is better than yours, rather than celebrating people's choices and looking at output, is key. Designed to pit one group against another, and shouldn't be surprising that it works. You only have to look at places that allow comment, on stories that carry controversy, and you see the keyboard effect. People that used to moan to a corner of a pub can now moan to the world. And without and frowns faces, or people physically moving away, they don't get any human feedback.

You can control fora, but not really newspaper, youtube or similar.

From what I have seen of The Northrups, clicks are important. That's web clicks, more than camera clicks.

From what I have seen of The Northrups, clicks are important. That's web clicks, more than camera clicks.
Indeed. I have attended a "course" where the opening gambit was "if you want to win camera club awards you need to....". Did come across as winning awards was seen as the raison d'etre that photographers should aspire to. Having said that i've also heard benchmark aspirations as getting onto full frame camera.

This quote made me chuckle...
“What does it accomplish exactly? I really never have understood why someone would attack another person with a degrading insult rather than try to have a civil conversation about a topic.”
Have they never set foot in a playground?

Got to admit this felt a bit like a "slow news day" article - much like the referenced Northrup video did. Some people are idiots on the internet? And this is news? Only if you want clicks I guess - just as @Pound Coin suggests.

The whole Format vs Format thing, mine is better than yours, rather than celebrating people's choices and looking at output, is key. Designed to pit one group against another, and shouldn't be surprising that it works. You only have to look at places that allow comment, on stories that carry controversy, and you see the keyboard effect. People that used to moan to a corner of a pub can now moan to the world. And without and frowns faces, or people physically moving away, they don't get any human feedback.

You can control fora, but not really newspaper, youtube or similar.

He's a known troll, he puts up controversial videos just for that reason, I swear he does it as soon as she's out of the house because his most trollish ones are just him solo. I used to watch them years back, they didn't seem as bad then, but since they got more and more popular it seemed like they want to berate the general photographer, and stir s*** among them. He has a sneery nature about him I really dislike. Otherwise they come across about as interesting as a budget morning tv show couple. Those shows have big followings too, doesn't mean they're any good.

Last edited:
I have noticed that the very best photographers never get involved in "gear wars". It is true even for this forum.

The internet itself is full of people who simply want to make statements they do not want to debate. When their statement is challenged they normally feel so shocked that their words of wisdom have been contradicted.

Ad Hom attacks just mean their statements do not stand up to scrutiny.

I have noticed that the very best photographers never get involved in "gear wars". It is true even for this forum.

The internet itself is full of people who simply want to make statements they do not want to debate. When their statement is challenged they normally feel so shocked that their words of wisdom have been contradicted.

Ad Hom attacks just mean their statements do not stand up to scrutiny.

Very loose generalisation there. There's some very good photographers on here with big mouths who just love an argument :D I know what you're getting at though, there's different types, there's the quiet ones who just get on with it and actually spend more time out shooting then ranting on forums, then there's the gear head type who prefers talking smack than taking shots, doesn't make one any better than the other when it comes to end results though. None of that matters in the end, only the images.

Last edited:
As ever though people here are talking about them and some have probably watched the video too
Mission accomplished

If camera clubs are anything to go by a lot of the community are less than young
Lots of the old are miserable moaning gits by nature and think they enjoy a bit of misery

Last edited:
Trolling and arguing aside, I'm more and more seeing very valid arguments coming up where inexperienced by think-they-know-it-all 'photographers' make posts and statements which are fundamentally wrong, but admittedly repeated so often in the circle of ignorance that is the internet,, that many inexperienced photographers think its right.

And therefore the collective voices of the misinformed masses drown out those that are correct.

Its like if you wanted to fix car, and read some good instructions, but you don't have a spanner or a screwdriver. You probably could get things apart using a pair of pliers and an old knife.

People like cheap solutions, so this pliers / knife method runs all round the internet. If anyone was to point out that you are damaging the bolts, they would probably get torn apart.

If someone does damage the bolts, and then replaces them with screws instead, which appears to work, they'll never listen to anyone who correctly gives safety info of why you shouldn't do that.

This then leads through to the case where someone reading these posts thinks that they can now go out and professionally fix cars without the proper tools or skills and can do everything with a pair of pliers and a knife.

Very loose generalisation there. There's some very good photographers on here with big mouths who just love an argument :D I know what you're getting at though, there's different types, there's the quiet ones who just get on with it and actually spend more time out shooting then ranting on forums, then there's the gear head type who prefers talking smack than taking shots, doesn't make one any better than the other when it comes to end results though. None of that matters in the end, only the images.
No it is an opinion, you have a different opinion. But is is all just opinion.

No it is an opinion, you have a different opinion. But is is all just opinion.

It's an opinion and a generalization, you're pretty much saying that only those who 'never' waste any time arguing on forums can be the 'best'. This simply isn't true, opinion or not. Like I said, there's some very good photographers on here who like a bit of a rant on the side. I wouldn't say 'best' because who am I to judge?

how dare you...

<please insert a derogatory abusive statement here that may offend you>

Notice what I actually wrote.
There's some very good photographers on here with big mouths who just love an argument
I have not mentioned very good photographers only the very best! Notice that you say argument rather than debate and that is part of the problem.
It's an opinion and a generalization, you're pretty much saying that only those who 'never' waste any time arguing on forums can be the 'best'. This simply isn't true, opinion or not. Like I said, there's some very good photographers on here who like a bit of a rant on the side. I wouldn't say 'best' because who am I to judge?
No you are putting words into my mouth, I never said any of what you say I did. That is called creating a strawman.
You are the very best person to judge what you think is best, just do not be surprised or get angry if others do not agree with you!
Toxicity in photography an example!

Notice what I actually wrote.

I have not mentioned very good photographers only the very best! Notice that you say argument rather than debate and that is part of the problem.

No you are putting words into my mouth, I never said any of what you say I did. That is called creating a strawman.
You are the very best person to judge what you think is best, just do not be surprised or get angry if others do not agree with you!
Toxicity in photography an example!

It's very simple what I pointed out, the rest might be just how you worded it. If that's now what you meant, cool, it's not a major issue or anything, as you said, just your opinion. You seem a little upset about mine.

It's very simple what I pointed out, the rest might be just how you worded it. If that's now what you meant, cool, it's not a major issue or anything, as you said, just your opinion. You seem a little upset about mine.
No you put words into my mouth and drew a conclusion and made a strawman from it. You could of just asked for clarification, instead you decided to interpret what I said to fit.
You still cannot stop doing it, you are now suggesting you have some knowledge of how I am feeling! It is hilarious to watch people decide how others are feeling based on a few sentences on the internet.
This is where toxicity comes from in my opinion.

No you put words into my mouth and drew a conclusion and made a strawman from it. You could of just asked for clarification, instead you decided to interpret what I said to fit.
You still cannot stop doing it, you are now suggesting you have some knowledge of how I am feeling! It is hilarious to watch people decide how others are feeling based on a few sentences on the internet.
This is where toxicity comes from in my opinion.

Seriously, you're a drama llama, have a snickers. Nobody put any words in your mouth, you made the original bold statement yourself. Go back and read it, it's clear as day IMO, I was just trying to be nice in my last post, never gets me anywhere :D

F*** the lot of yer, i'm off out to take some photos ;)

No BS I am myself, light is nice out there today!

Here again is my BOLD statement , wow that is controversial, anyone would think I had suggested Mary was not a virgin!
you're pretty much saying that only those who 'never' waste any time arguing on forums can be the 'best'.
Here is where you put words into my mouth and that which you now deny.
You seem a little upset about mine.
Here is where you decide to imagine what my emotions are!
Seriously, you're a drama llama, have a snickers.
Here is where you start with Ad Hom personal comments.
Nobody put any words in your mouth,
As I have shown you did.
I was just trying to be nice in my last post
I see you want me to show deference when you condescend to be "nice" to me.

A fascinating insight into where toxicity comes from IMHO.

Here again is my BOLD statement , wow that is controversial, anyone would think I had suggested Mary was not a virgin!

Here is where you put words into my mouth and that which you now deny.

Here is where you decide to imagine what my emotions are!

Here is where you start with Ad Hom personal comments.

As I have shown you did.

I see you want me to show deference when you condescend to be "nice" to me.

A fascinating insight into where toxicity comes from IMHO.

This guy :LOL:

So , you didn't have that snickers then? :ROFLMAO:

Dude, you blatantly suggested that the best photographers don't get involved in drama, which is absoloute b*****ks and you know it - all the multi quoting in the world isn't saving the fact. You can waste more time on your delusions if you like but that's how it is. You're a sensitive little soul, are you used to always getting your own way or something? don't make bold braisen statements if you're going to throw your toys about whenever challenged if it's going to set you off on a nonsensical rant

See people like this to me are toxic, the ones who don't like being pulled up on their nonsense statements. This guy, 3 multi quote posts in rage because I pointed out exactly what he said .... but I'm the s*** stirrer?

Last edited:
Dude, you blatantly stated that the best photographers don't get evolved in drama,
No I did not, yet again you put words in my mouth.
you must take terribad pictures
I think you mean that as an insult but since I probably agree with you, it is besides the point.
all the multi quoting in the world isn't saving the fact.
It is not meant to, it is meant to show how quickly and for very little reason a conversation can get toxic.
You can waste more time on your delusions if you like but stop quoting me thanks, I don't wish to read anymore of your boring waffle.
Then you could just put me on ignore and not reply or offer a rebuttal but instead you simply result to school yard insults.

Yes, you did, it's right there in B&W, if it's not what you meant then why not pretend to be a grown up and say 'what i meant was ...' instead of wasting both our time with your taliored to suit milti quotes. Move on, it's not the apocalypse or anything, just what you said was silly, that's the gist of it. I'm not 12, I don't put people on ignore :D

Yes, you did, it's right there in B&W, if it's not what you meant then why not pretend to be a grown up and say 'what i meant was ...' instead of wasting both our time with your taliored to suit milti quotes. Move on, it's not the apocalypse or anything, just what you said was silly, that's the gist of it. I'm not 12, I don't put people on ignore :D
Show where I wrote that the "best photographers do not get involved in drama", you are simply making it up. If you are not twelve stop using insults that a twelve year old would use.
See people like this to me are toxic, the ones who don't like being pulled up on their nonsense statements. This guy, 3 multi quote posts in rage because I pointed out exactly what he said .... but I'm the s*** stirrer?
All I have done is shown what was actually wrote and what you said I wrote, you are the one who put words in my mouth and resulted to insults. I made it perfectly clear in my second post that it was only my opinion. You insult in a way that can only be done from the safety of a keyboard.
You can waste more time on your delusions if you like but that's how it is. You're a sensitive little soul, are you used to always getting your own way or something? don't make bold braisen statements if you're going to throw your toys about whenever challenged if it's going to set you off on a nonsensical rant
Actually it is you that appears to be ranting.

I can't believe what I am reading.. What drivel......

Ooops I just added to it :)

I wouldn't say the feature 'ignore' was for 12 year olds.

When you don't respect someone's opinion, and life is better not having to read their drivel, ignore is excellent.

Last edited:
I can't believe what I am reading.. What drivel......

Quite right. Another thread ruined by childish bickering.

Baloo, if someone interprets your comments incorrectly, then instead of getting all huffed up, why not politely state "There's a bit of misunderstanding here, maybe I worded it poorly.... what I meant was ....."

I usually just sit on the outside getting ideas for blog posts extracting the urine from "experts" on photo forums using my work to prove the "experts" wrong.

Some of those posts turn out to be more popular than some regular posts.

Back