TP Remembrance thread

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought it may be a good idea to start a thread for all our images that are dedicated to those that have given their lives and those whom put their's on the line every day.
If i am out of place starting this thread I apologize and please remove it.

My Contribution.

Lest we Forget by Richo_I, on Flickr

Don't see why it'd be out of place, I think it's a great idea for a Thread. Nice one. (y)

I don't have any pics to put up on this theme but I was in Aberdeen, today and saw the new Gordon Highlanders statue on the Castlegate. I'm going to get some pictures of that next time I'm there with my camera. Winston Churchill described them as "The best Regiment in the World."

Respect to all who have fought and died for our country and those who continue to do so.

383275_10150342615197108_602732107_8599500_1290980216_n.jpg

This is my husband, Roger, (74 today) after being presented with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal at Duxford War Museum recently.

It took 50 years for the two governments to realise that bravery of these men had gone largely unnoticed and that they deserved a medal for their part in what was called "The Forgotten War". It was presented by the King of Malaysia.

He is very proud of his medal. :)

I know you think I'm a cock Janice (and I can be at times:D but I speak my mind and that ain't always popular) but yer man must be so proud to get that recognition after all this time and well deserved too. As I said, I've nothing but utter respect for these guys, past and present.

Last edited:
I know you think I'm a cock Janice (and I can be at times:D but I speak my mind and that ain't always popular) but yer man must be so proud to get that recognition after all this time and well deserved too. As I said, I've nothing but utter respect for these guys, past and present.

Thanks, Brash. He went out there in 1959 when he was 22 and the year I was born!! :)

He was in the R.E.M.E. and it was hot work in the jungles of Malaysia, Borneo, Singapore, etc... but hardly anyone seems to know about that war.. as Vietnam was going on at the same time.

He never once thought that someone would come up trumps and honour them after all this time (y)

383275_10150342615197108_602732107_8599500_1290980216_n.jpg

This is my husband, Roger, (74 today) after being presented with the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal at Duxford War Museum recently.

It took 50 years for the two governments to realise that bravery of these men had gone largely unnoticed and that they deserved a medal for their part in what was called "The Forgotten War". It was presented by the King of Malaysia.

Excellent stuff. I would love to speak with him. I'm considering the REME's myself, with the luck i'm getting trying to get an apprenticeship in the motor trade. Tell him they are not forgotten.

Lovely pictures to view and the message they convey.

This is a great idea not going to add any pictures but love the one that have been posted..

I make a point of always attending a rememberance Sunday parade!
I think it is very important that we never forget these tremendously brave men and women!
I always take my camera to record the event!
Here is my contribution to a great thread!

6294327664_e1f98ecaa3_z.jpg

Excellent stuff. I would love to speak with him. I'm considering the REME's myself, with the luck i'm getting trying to get an apprenticeship in the motor trade. Tell him they are not forgotten.

You'll not go far wrong with the REME. Both myself and my late father were both members of REME. The training is second to none.

Here's a very early photo (Only had my camera a few months, hence blown-out sky!) I took in the Scottish Highlands many years ago, commemerating the role of the Royal Marines. This was near their first training camp during WW II.

DSC_6845.JPG

Two excellent shots Leigh, although I bet someone comments on the horizon of #1(y)

hi Janice, I think my father-in-law Jeremy Cadge fought out there too, then he spent several years out there after the war training local troops. Sadly he died a couple of years ago.

This is my best photo of a war memorial, it's from the american cemetery near Cambridge.

MRT_3333 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

I didnt know who Earl T Holderman was, but some googling found that he died on his very first mission.
He flew B-24s with 446 Bomb Group (http://www.446bg.com/) out of RAF Bungay in Suffolk. On 5 January 1945 the unit attacked 6 marshalling yards and a railhead were bombed with 'good results', in spite of severe damage to the lead plane. Holderman died of anoxia (lack of oxygen) which I guess came from equipment failure, which just seems incredibly unfair.

I can recommend the Madingley cemetery as a place to go and think, it's a beautiful memorial to those who have died so young.

Two excellent shots Leigh, although I bet someone comments on the horizon of #1(y)

cheers Rob. The stone in #1 was on the wonk in the ground, so i rotated even more so it didn't look accidental :D

Some really good shots here... emotionally very strong (y)

A couple from Remembrance Sunday in London a few years ago, a moving and emotional experience, but still many of the participants were smiling and reminding everyone to remember the dead and enjoy life. ;)

3025820056_46ea3c757d_o.jpg

3025819776_dacc1a2ddb_o.jpg

3024991425_86b462fd12_o.jpg

3025821016_4da5d9e02d_o.jpg

probably the only time I have used colour popping and liked it. :)

ok i will post some i took a while back..

our past

316957_10150309804848667_756073666_8217150_1761404193_n.jpg

our Presant
294867_10150309804788667_756073666_8217148_1354247148_n.jpg

our future

314318_10150309804938667_756073666_8217152_1219448753_n.jpg

A few of our family that fell.

Hope it's OK to add these as they're just compact snaps taken on Saturday.

5 Andersons from WW1 and a William Blair (my wife's Granny's little brother) died a Japanese POW - Dunbar Memorial.

6296164915_1f36c4e46b_z.jpg

6296701234_fef0fe0033_b.jpg

Last edited:
hi Janice, I think my father-in-law Jeremy Cadge fought out there too, then he spent several years out there after the war training local troops. Sadly he died a couple of years ago.

This is my best photo of a war memorial, it's from the american cemetery near Cambridge.

MRT_3333 by simpleimages_mike, on Flickr

I didnt know who Earl T Holderman was, but some googling found that he died on his very first mission.
He flew B-24s with 446 Bomb Group (http://www.446bg.com/) out of RAF Bungay in Suffolk. On 5 January 1945 the unit attacked 6 marshalling yards and a railhead were bombed with 'good results', in spite of severe damage to the lead plane. Holderman died of anoxia (lack of oxygen) which I guess came from equipment failure, which just seems incredibly unfair.

I can recommend the Madingley cemetery as a place to go and think, it's a beautiful memorial to those who have died so young.

+1 for Madingley..... I am planning an afternoon detour on weds on my way to HO, for a nice sunset.....

I've ready many, many books on the 8th AF during WW2, and still stories emerge that are not known to me. It reminds me of how many men fought and died in that arena.

Probably not more than a day gone by that I haven't thought about the veterans of the second world war.

Also, thanks for the input on the REME, feek :)

Fantastic photos been added, nice to see like minded people sharing their respect.

I saw a boy marching, with medals on his chest, He marched alongside Soldiers, marching six abreast, He knew it was Remembrance Day, he walked along with pride, And did his best to keep in step with the soldiers by his side. And when the march was over the boy looked rather tired. A soldier said. "Whose medals son?" to which the boy replied,, "They belong to my Dad, but he didn't come back. He die......d out in Afghanistan , up on a Helmand Track". The boy looked rather sad, and a tear came to his eye, But the soldier said, "Don't worry son, I'll tell you why," He said, "Your dad marched with us today, all the bloomin way, All us soldiers knew he was here, it's like that on Remembrance Day." The boy looked rather puzzled he didn't understand But the soldier went on talking, and started to wave his hand, "For this great land we live in, there's a price we have to pay, To keep our Country free, and fly our flag today. Yes we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live, But the price was that some soldier his precious life must give, For you to go to school, my son, and worship God at will. Somebody had to pay the price, so our soldiers paid the bill. Your dad died for us my son, for all things good and true. And I hope you can understand these words I've said to you". The boy looked up at the soldier and after a little while, His face changed expression, and he said with a beautiful smile, "I know my dad marched here today, this our Remembrance Day, I know he did, I know he did, all the bloomin way!....... RESPECT To our Fallen Comrades, Respect to those that have fought For our nation. Lest We Forget!

A Mod supporting selective colouring.........:puke:

just been plotting my arrival at Madingly and worked out the ideal spot....... hoping for as good sunset as personally i would prefer a great pic (there's always a first)

what time do i get to stratford? Whenever!

HI all
Here's one I took last year.

TOOK OUT PICTURE, IT'S THE ONE ABOVE THIS POST[/QUOTE]

That's really good. I don't know if it's the picture, the statue or both - but it's a very striking picture. Very well done.

Last edited:
the ''ground crew'' chaps at Biggin Hill @ 1942

who kept the Spits and Hurricanes in the air

my Father, far left, was in ''DF Signals''

35091f0f.jpg

long gone, never forgotten

Back