TP Remembrance thread

couple out of respect,
kanchanaburi, near bridge over river kwai
PICT0180.jpg

PICT0179.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately I dont have an image for this thread, though its prompted me to go out and get some next week! Great thread.

My grandad was in the Auxilary Unit, Secret Operations in Cheddar Gorge which was used as a 'Starfish' site, meaning:
A bombing decoy site that deliberately created a simulation a of burning town to attract german bombers and protect big towns, in this case Bristol.

The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

mad2800.jpg

This is my best photo of a war memorial, it's from the american cemetery near Cambridge.

MRT_3333 by simpleimages_mike,

I didnt know who Earl T Holderman was, but some googling found that he died on his very first mission.
He flew B-24s with 446 Bomb Group (http://www.446bg.com/) out of RAF Bungay in Suffolk. On 5 January 1945 the unit attacked 6 marshalling yards and a railhead were bombed with 'good results', in spite of severe damage to the lead plane. Holderman died of anoxia (lack of oxygen) which I guess came from equipment failure, which just seems incredibly unfair.

I can recommend the Madingley cemetery as a place to go and think, it's a beautiful memorial to those who have died so young.

Spooky...... I didn't read all your bits about Earl T beneath the photo when I commented on it the other day.

Stopped off on my way across yesterday, and just now going through some of the pics and look what I found I had taken.

earltholderman.jpg

Out of 3,812 headstones. :LOL:

Went to France last week, spent a day in Ypres

1) Menin Gate
6277388642_6358863121_b.jpg

2) Ramparts Cemetary, Ypres
6277385114_2170f81073_b.jpg

and a day around the Somme - Thiepval Memorial

3)
6287123480_edc7304b05_b.jpg

4)
6287124260_873b48abe0_o.jpg

and the Canadian National Memorial at Vimy Ridge - of allthe places I've been to in Flanders, the Somme and Normandy this place always really astounds me for the sheer scale

5) Front View
6287158712_207592f0aa_b.jpg

6) Back View
6287154424_de31167b7a_b.jpg

Here is my contribution. My grandfather was a sniper during WW1 and I have yet to research is army number as there's lots I don't know about him. :)

S7300901_edited.jpg

One from holiday in Chester this year. This was taken at a church near to Rhyl (can't remember for the life of me where).

Rememberance
by Don't like to be Bored, on Flickr

As well as being the time to rememebr all those that gave the ultimate sacrifice it is also the day that my dad passed away 5 years ago - at least I will never forget him :D

Decided to remove my comments it seems i may be to patriotic. Sorry.
ALL GAVE SOME SOME GAVE ALL..

Last edited:
Hi all, I thought I'd get involved and submit my contribution. A war memorial in Knaresborough, UK.

Cross.jpg

3015705946_8a93047594_z.jpg

From a few years back..

Thread tidied back on track please.

There are some very nice respectful images here, keep them coming folks (y)

I saw a boy marching, with medals on his chest, He marched alongside Soldiers, marching six abreast, He knew it was Remembrance Day, he walked along with pride, And did his best to keep in step with the soldiers by his side. And when the march was over the boy looked rather tired. A soldier said. "Whose medals son?" to which the boy replied,, "They belong to my Dad, but he didn't come back. He die......d out in Afghanistan , up on a Helmand Track". The boy looked rather sad, and a tear came to his eye, But the soldier said, "Don't worry son, I'll tell you why," He said, "Your dad marched with us today, all the bloomin way, All us soldiers knew he was here, it's like that on Remembrance Day." The boy looked rather puzzled he didn't understand But the soldier went on talking, and started to wave his hand, "For this great land we live in, there's a price we have to pay, To keep our Country free, and fly our flag today. Yes we all love fun and merriment in this country where we live, But the price was that some soldier his precious life must give, For you to go to school, my son, and worship God at will. Somebody had to pay the price, so our soldiers paid the bill. Your dad died for us my son, for all things good and true. And I hope you can understand these words I've said to you". The boy looked up at the soldier and after a little while, His face changed expression, and he said with a beautiful smile, "I know my dad marched here today, this our Remembrance Day, I know he did, I know he did, all the bloomin way!....... RESPECT To our Fallen Comrades, Respect to those that have fought For our nation. Lest We Forget!

Thank you for sharing this with us, I am sat at my booking office window at this moment in time and that has reduced me to tears, we must never ever forget or let our children forget what all these people, including those at home, fought for.

AM i correct in thinking that Medals worn on the left breast (as in #69) are those that have been won by the individual wearing them, whereas those worn on the right breast (as in #66) have not been won directly by the individual, but by a close, now deceased relative? I am sure I read something like that somewhere.......:shrug:

Correct. Strictly speaking right breast is immediate family only.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
We will remember them.

To our Glorious Dead by Richo_I, on Flickr

Some from the Alrewas Arboretum today.

shot at dawn by SteveH40, on Flickr

a very moving place to visit.

Steve.

very poignant. :crying:

I assume these are from the national arboretum memorial thingy up stafford / derby way.

I must find a reason to get up there.........

Hmmm Chester..... is a regional office........ that'll do. (y)

Mine's a bit different... hopefully it's still OK. There's some brilliant photos in here already.

I won't be able to get any photos of our parade on Sunday as I'll be busy at the back shepherding my Guide unit along.

Danbo will remember by GeordieKat, on Flickr

Back