Trailcam advice

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a fairly basic trail camera which I use primarily in the garden to capture footage of the hedgehogs. I'm lucky that we have about 4 or 5 individuals who come to my home made feeder most nights. 3 of them are easily identified and are visiting every night.

My problem is that the camera I have could be a lot better when on night vision mode. Also, it really suffers with the dew getting over the lens. So although it's a 1080p I would like a better/clearer image when in video mode. Another feature I would like, although not overly important, is the ability to "live view" so I can watch without disturbing them.

So, any suggestions as to what I should look at. I have a budget of up to £150.00

Pointing the lens slightly down and using some sort of motorbike helmet visor spray can help reduce the dew. Moving the camera a bit further away from the action can reduce the (usual) overexposure that the built in IR lamps often cause on relatively close action.

Pointing the lens slightly down and using some sort of motorbike helmet visor spray can help reduce the dew. Moving the camera a bit further away from the action can reduce the (usual) overexposure that the built in IR lamps often cause on relatively close action.

I've tried a spray, also the old fairy liquid trick (that we used to do on our visors). I don't think it helps that I like to get a low POV and of course, that brings it closer to the grass. When I used it 2 nights ago, anything past about 1am was useless as the lens looked like it was under water.

Edit: I have just thought about making a little lens hood for it. But I want something with better night time resolution anyway...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
Lens/dew heater running off a power bank should resolve the under water pics

maybe try a gel hand warmer secured with an elastic band, lasts a few hours

Last edited:
You do get what you pay for to be honest.
I had one of these and it was superb - no 'live view' but good solid performance throughout the night and it keeps warm helping reduce any misting.

I have been using one of these for the past 18 mths (£150.00) and very impressed with them! Colour video at night and good quality images. - Don't let the name put you off!

They also have a different 4G Camera, if you want to view live.

I have also used 'Apeman' products for many years and the 'Bolygard' unit is vastly superior.

Last edited:
Never tried it on a camera but spitting inside your face mask and a rinsing it out seemed to work to stop misting on scuba gear, not a clue if it'll help with a trail cam. If you do try it let me know when, I could pop around and have a laugh... ;)

Back