Transfer from card to computer: which way is best?

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
I've seen previous discussions that have suggested it is best to remove SD/CF/XQD whatever cards from the camera and use a card reader device to pull the image files onto a computer. I can see that this makes sense if you are Pro and using possibly several cards for eg a wedding or such, but for us mere mortals, is it really best? If you have a day out or holiday and use multiple cards, then ok, but if you have say a 128Gb card in the camera, probably most of us would not fill that in a day's shooting. I can't see the benefit in pulling the card out of the camera, inserting it into a reader, then importing, rather than importing from the card in situ in the camera. Surely all that extracting and inserting is putting wear and strain on the card?
So, what is the argument for removing the card from the camera to download images?

I would say, it's a lot quicker using a card reader. Also if you using a usb cable to connect the camera to be computer, then there is wear and strain on the camera's usb connection. I don't really like using the usb port on my camera, I always find it a bit fiddley and being a usb mini connection, a bit flimsy.

I think it depends on how fast your card is and the speed of your card reader. If I just want to have a quick look at the images without downloadin, I use the wireless function on my camera. I doubt most of us take out the SD card so many times to cause any excessive wear and tear.

Last edited:
I have used both methods. Reading the photos via a card reader seems, to me, quicker but, as you suggest, for someone who might be transferring relatively few shots this is not an issue.

At present I am using a card reader but that is laziness on my part. I have a card reader next to the PC so it is easier and quicker to use that than find the cable to attach the camera to the PC.

I agree extracting and re-inserting the card from/to the camera must create a certain amount of wear, though probably not a lot, and it could be argued that a pro who fills a card frequently will cause more wear by repeated removal of a card, so perhaps should not use a reader.

I suppose there might be the issue that attaching the camera directly to a PC means the camera is likely to be on a desk and therefore there is a risk of it being knocked off, but again probably not a big risk.

Dave

Perhaps we should deal with more important issues before tackling this, like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin... :tumbleweed:

Angel Tombstone.jpg

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

I use both depending on the camera.

Sue uses a compact that doesn't have a USB port, so card removal and reader is the only method available.

Come to the Sony a7r cameras, and I use a cable, because importing from the camera retains the date structure - the photos come in different directories, one per day when read from the camera, and one big bucket if read via a card reader.

The card reader is faster, and allows multiple accesses to the data while reading; when downloading from the Sony I can't access the directory until the download is done.

And a final point from my own limited experience. I bent the pins in an Olympus E3 (not sure of the designation) DSLR when reinserting the card, and had to send it for repair.

I used to worry about the cards and mainly how they felt more flexible and bendy over time, even to the point where one lexar card I had started rattling (but still worked!).

Now use (and only use) Sony tough cards (SF-G Series), a bit more expensive but very fast and completely solid. They are in a different league to any other card I have used. They don't have the little fins between the contacts that I have had problems with, no write lock switch to fail, apparently water and dust proof (I personally have never tested) and have no flex, bend or give in any way.

An app from the Sony website scans the card when mounted on a computer, to check for any problems. Takes some of the worry out of having a single card camera.

Will only use them from now on.

There is not much in it and I have used both methods. I stopped using a card reader when the pins bent due to a poor design. since then I have just connected the cameras directly. The transfer may be a little faster using a card reader but it hardly matters for an amateur with say a single day's capture. In fact the longest time in the process is Lightroom creating standard previews. This is just an option but I want this and it benefits me later; using a card reader would not speed up this part of the process.

Dave

Last edited:
Card reader for me which is always connected sat on the desk.
Even easier now that computers come with them built in.

USB3 card reader for me, although I'd guess that there might be even faster USB types now. Always been aware of the potential to bend the pins in CF sockets so take extra care getting the cards inserted correctly - better readers have better sockets so wrong/wonky insertion is less likely.

I tend to connect the camera to the pc, mainly because back in the day I worried about repeatedly inserting CF cards into the reader and camera the pins might get damaged. It’s less of a problem with SD type cards, but my Canon 7D mkii uses both, so I’ve stuck with my old habit

I've always used a card reader. I've seen so many trashed USB ports that I just wouldn't use the camera one unless I REALLY had to. :runaway:

Windows shows you the copy speed as you're doing it. Why not test it and post the results?

I've always used a card reader. I've seen so many trashed USB ports that I just wouldn't use the camera one unless I REALLY had to. :runaway:
This. A card reader can be had for under a tenner. Fixing a port on a camera cannot.

Reactions: Sky
When I started with digital I downloaded loaded from the camera. For the last 10 years I have used a card reader. Quicker and avoided damage to the USB port on the camera, as long as you do not damage the card.

There probably is no right answer.

I have been removing card and using a card reader since 2007 and never had a card fail due to this. I have accidentally knocked the card reader off the desk several times, and I'd hate that to also be my camera.

So, what is the argument for removing the card from the camera to download images?

For my cameras and computer it’s faster and easier to cull.

I’ve only ever used the cable twice for this, once when there was a problem reading the card and once when I forgot to bring the card reader.

I've always had faster card readers than cameras (back in the D70 days, much faster), so I've always used the readers whenever possible. I haven't broken a pin or anything else yet, and I still use CF from time to time (oddly enough, the only media card that has died on me so far was a micro SD that lived permanently in an mp3 player). Are there any cameras that compete with the best current card readers on speed?

I can also tell you that Nikon is better than Canon, SLR is preferable to mirrorless, and you should always use a protective UV filter...

I use both depending on the camera.

Sue uses a compact that doesn't have a USB port, so card removal and reader is the only method available.

Come to the Sony a7r cameras, and I use a cable, because importing from the camera retains the date structure - the photos come in different directories, one per day when read from the camera, and one big bucket if read via a card reader.

The card reader is faster, and allows multiple accesses to the data while reading; when downloading from the Sony I can't access the directory until the download is done.

And a final point from my own limited experience. I bent the pins in an Olympus E3 (not sure of the designation) DSLR when reinserting the card, and had to send it for repair.
That's entirely down to whatever software you're using to copy the files. I've been using Sony cameras since 2013, always use a card reader and the date structure has always been preserved. I just use Windows File Explorer and it sees the folder structure on the card without any problems..

Thanks all for your comments. In summary, although concern about card wear and tear exists, it is not a significant factor, whereas transfer speed is.
I guess it then depends on how many images you shoot in a session, as to whether transfer speed is an issue.
At least I now understand why it might be better to do it one way than the other in certain circumstances. My usual problem in taking them direct from camera is finding the cable - which camera bag is it in; on the other hand I don't have my card reader permanently plugged in because I have too many other things plugged in for more frequent use. There's an argument for an extra computer (or just a hub).

That's entirely down to whatever software you're using to copy the files. I've been using Sony cameras since 2013, always use a card reader and the date structure has always been preserved. I just use Windows File Explorer and it sees the folder structure on the card without any problems..

Interesting. I also use Windows Explorer on Win10, and I don't see anything other than a DCIM directory (or whatever it's called) and a list of all files on the Sony a7r cameras. The same is true of Sue's Sony compact, which I always assumed didn't use a similar filing system by day on the card. I'll admit I haven't tried recently though, as it's easier to open a cover and plug in a cable than it is to open a cover, remove a card from the camera and another card from the card reader, then insert card into reader. Both card reader and cable are not on the desk, so neither are to hand.

I guess it then depends on how many images you shoot in a session, as to whether transfer speed is an issue.
At least I now understand why it might be better to do it one way than the other in certain circumstances. My usual problem in taking them direct from camera is finding the cable - which camera bag is it in; on the other hand I don't have my card reader permanently plugged in because I have too many other things plugged in for more frequent use. There's an argument for an extra computer (or just a hub).

It might not be the case any more, but Windows did have a limit on the number of USB devices that could be connected simultaneously. I discovered this when I tried to exceed it and failed. I think it's about 7.

My lead also serves double duty for charging mobile phone and tablet, and I can always easily retrieve it. At the moment, I could just lean (awkwardly, I'll admit) from the chair I'm in and reach it. A card reader requires me to actually get out of my chair, which is a pretty big ask, really...

Good point Stephen, although I'm a Mac user so I don't know if that limit might apply; I do know though that some software won't connect via a hub. Anyway, I think I've already persuaded myself to get another Mac Mini next year for photography purposes (plus a very good screen) as my iMac is 6 years old now and the cat has managed to damage the screen by trying to catch the mouse pointer too many times! The iMac is fine for work purposes though, so will continue to serve.

I use 2 x 128GB cards in my A7Riii and its a simple enough task to remove the cards- slot into PC and download :)

Les

Back