Transfer from sd card to computer

Edit My Images
No
Hello,
This is the first time I have posted anything on a photography forum.
I have a really simple question in which I get differing answers from everyone I ask.
Hopefully someone here can give a diffinitive answer.
I travel to various countries around the world and take many shots with my Panasonic camera.
When I return home I check the images on the cameras lcd screen and also look at the shots using an sd card slot on my large screen tv.
All the pics look exactly the same on the lcd screen and the tv.
I then transfer the images from the sd card to the computer.
This is where there becomes a problem,when transferred,the images on the computer screen do not look the same as on the lcd screen or the tv they are often darker and the colours are not so vibrant.
I then upload my favourite pics onto a photo book website and design a photo book for each trip.
The photo book images are exactly the same as the images on the computer screen.
Could anyone tell me why the fantastic images on the lcd camera screen become different when transferred to the computer,should they not be exactly the same?
I have spent a hefty amount of cash on a new monitor as someone suggested,but this has made no difference.
I have also bought a monitor calibration tool again barely no difference.
Help!!
Thank you
Gary

Your TV screen is designed to enhance images. The lcd screen on your camera has adjustable brightness. Your computer and the prints are showing you what you’ve shot. Particularly as you’ve calibrated your monitor.

So when you open the images on the PC, you have to edit them so they look how you expect them to. Then the printed books will be better too.

It’s simple... but it might get more complicated when people start to overdo the ‘printer profiles’ etc etc. All worthwhile learning, but more than you need right now.

Hi Gary and welcome to TP

Just to extend/expand from what Phil said.

Modern TV screens are 'set' and designed to be way too bright when comes to judging what a printed photo will look like.

Same is applicable to PC monitors out of the box......that is why some method of monitor calibration is widely advised and recommended for those interested in getting the best prints from their image files.

When you read of a typically raised subject "why are my prints darker than what I see on the screen...". The primary reason is that the screen is way too bright.

So do please explain what you did to calibrate and what the calibration software reported about the screen brightness?

Having said all that ~ AFAIK a lot of commercial photo printing places & photo book printers will either automatically make adjustments to correct(?) for under exposed images or specifically ask if you wish them to do those correction & enhancements. Did you see that tick box.........if so what did you choose???

HTH :)

Your TV screen is designed to enhance images. The lcd screen on your camera has adjustable brightness. Your computer and the prints are showing you what you’ve shot. Particularly as you’ve calibrated your monitor.

So when you open the images on the PC, you have to edit them so they look how you expect them to. Then the printed books will be better too.

It’s simple... but it might get more complicated when people start to overdo the ‘printer profiles’ etc etc. All worthwhile learning, but more than you need right now.

Exactly this.

Your TV is designed to go-go-Gadget on the colour, contrast etc so that the image looks IMPRESSIVE, if not entirely natural.

Computer screens are calibrated to be more neutral.

Does your camera, perchance, shoot RAW?

I'm thinking this, though it's not clear from what's been said. If the computer software is picking up the Raw file, but not applying the JPEG presets from the camera as a starting point, then the image will look flat and dull as Raw files tend to do before post-processing takes place.

I'm thinking this, though it's not clear from what's been said. If the computer software is picking up the Raw file, but not applying the JPEG presets from the camera as a starting point, then the image will look flat and dull as Raw files tend to do before post-processing takes place.

But he could not have uploaded raw files to make the photo book...........and he said the photo book looked dull like the computer screen 'view'.

i wonder if he has set the colour space to adobe rgb rather than Srgb in camera ?
if you have the choice of course i'm not familiar with panasonic cameras

it would explain flat looking images to a degree

Back