Transition from Lightroom 5.7.1

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
My name is Dan and I’m pretty new here. As a current Mac user (OS Mojave-10.14.6), I’m trying to figure out how to safely manage the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit applications, since I’m planning on buying a new Mac, which comes with OS Catalina. I’m using an legacy version of Lightroom (5.7.1), which doesn’t have a 64 bit version, so I’ve been looking around for an alternative to LR, as I'm not keen on Adobe's subsciption model.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestion/guidance anyone can offer.

Dan

Hi Dan,

Apart from moving to Capture One, I do not think there is another option, unless you pay the annual sub to Adobe.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've also run across ON1, which seems to be both a photo management and editing program. Plus you can 'buy to own,' rather than pay a subscription.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've also run across ON1, which seems to be both a photo management and editing program. Plus you can 'buy to own,' rather than pay a subscription.
On1 has a lightroom migration tool that should recreate your edits in photoraw so that you can re-edit your previously edited images. I haven't tried it yet because I'm on LR6 but expect to leave LR behind soon. I'll probably give it a go when I upgrade computers, perhaps later on this year.

My name is Dan and I’m pretty new here. As a current Mac user (OS Mojave-10.14.6), I’m trying to figure out how to safely manage the transition from 32 bit to 64 bit applications, since I’m planning on buying a new Mac, which comes with OS Catalina. I’m using an legacy version of Lightroom (5.7.1), which doesn’t have a 64 bit version, so I’ve been looking around for an alternative to LR, as I'm not keen on Adobe's subsciption model.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestion/guidance anyone can offer.

Dan
Which camera system? There are free versions of Capture One Express locked to Nikon, Sony or Fuji. Nikon's own Capture NX-D is also pretty good. For editing individual images, Affinity Photo is excellent.

It’s important that you download and use the trial versions before you switch. It can be very difficult to change editing software as the quality of the RAW converters vary and most struggle with Fuji RAW files from the X Trans sensors. The tools may have the same name but the effects will vary.

Which camera system? There are free versions of Capture One Express locked to Nikon, Sony or Fuji. Nikon's own Capture NX-D is also pretty good. For editing individual images, Affinity Photo is excellent.
I'm using a Canon.

I'm currently running Lightroom CC and On1 2021 with the intention of dropping Adobe this time next year - I'm a cautious learner. The migration tool in On1 did a pretty good job of replicating my LR edits - not perfect but really closer than I expected. I find the develop suite in On1 slightly more intuitive than LR and the effects filters can make both global and local edits very quick.

There are some excellent tutorial videos on the On1 site by the likes of Hudson Henry and Matt Kloskowski. The trial version is full featured so you get a really good idea of how it works and what can be done.

I'm currently running Lightroom CC and On1 2021 with the intention of dropping Adobe this time next year - I'm a cautious learner. The migration tool in On1 did a pretty good job of replicating my LR edits - not perfect but really closer than I expected. I find the develop suite in On1 slightly more intuitive than LR and the effects filters can make both global and local edits very quick.

There are some excellent tutorial videos on the On1 site by the likes of Hudson Henry and Matt Kloskowski. The trial version is full featured so you get a really good idea of how it works and what can be done.
Based on your experience, ON1 2021 does look like it may do the trick, particularly since it offers a way to migrate my photos (and edits) from LR. I also appreciate that there are tutorial videos.

Thanks
Dan

Does the perpetual licence for On1 Photo RAW 2021 just apply to updates of the 2021 version? What if they release a 2022 0r 2023, etc - would you have to buy it again, and/or would they continue to provide updates for 2021?

The one good thing about Adobe's CC subscription service is that it'll just keep on updating to the latest versions of everything.

Updates to the version you bought sometimes come even after a new version is released, but they are fixes/tweaks/new cameras. For new features you need to buy the next version. Upgrades are discounted to existing owners.

If you have a version that works for you then there's no need to upgrade unless you need additional functionality. Software like it used to be - I personally prefer stability of versions, rather than incremental changes. To me, the continued updating of the CC model is is flaw, and even if I did not reject the rental model, I would not want that. It's not a case of being a luddite, but software is a tool, and it's not helpful when the tool keeps being changed.

Last edited:
Updates to the version you bought sometimes come even after a new version is released, but they are fixes/tweaks/new cameras. For new features you need to buy the next version. Upgrades are discounted to existing owners.

If you have a version that works for you then there's no need to upgrade unless you need additional functionality. Software like it used to be - I personally prefer stability of versions, rather than incremental changes. To me, the continued updating of the CC model is is flaw, and even if I did not reject the rental model, I would not want that. It's not a case of being a luddite, but software is a tool, and it's not helpful when the tool keeps being changed.
Ah, thanks, and I understand your view of Adobe's subscription model. If I was more skilled in using it (PP, I mean) I might notice the changes but I tend to stick to the core functions simply because I don't understand the full system. I very nearly switched to Affinity Photo prior to the last renewal (they actually had a half price offer at the time) and almost certainly will switch to something else next time.

I am going to bang the drum for photomechanic again. Very configurable but at a price. The updates are reasonable and at least you own it rather than rent it.

I am going to bang the drum for photomechanic again. Very configurable but at a price. The updates are reasonable and at least you own it rather than rent it.

Quite interested in PM, it apparently works well with Photo Njnja which is my raw converter of choice

Back