Travelling with camera equipment

Name
Ciaran McMahon
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am hoping someone can help. I have to fly to Portugal from Northern Ireland to video a wedding in 2 weeks time. Worried that my batteries might get taken by airport security.
My gear is as follows: sony a7iii with 3 lithium batteries along with a Zhiyun crane plus gimbal....again with 2 batteries for the motor. Can anyone shed any light? Im travelling with Easyjet!?!?

EasyJet give details for carrying such items:

https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods

I would have thought 3 batteries (2280mAh) and two other batteries would be expected to be within their requirements. Just make sure the spares are protected from short circuit and not loose with your carry on bag. At least two can be stored in the camera and gimbal.

Last edited:
Make sure it's all in your carry-on bag. Ensure that the terminals of the batteries can't be shorted - for example tape them up or put them individually in plastic bags or plastic boxes. You'll be fine.

It really isn't a major issue. I'm flying most weeks with a combination of main airlines and LoCo's, my carry on has at least 6 x spare Nikon EL-15 cells in addition to the ones in each of 3 x bodies. The spares are carried in Think Tank battery pouches and I've never had any issues in Europe, USA, Asia or Africa.

GC

Remember to take the Swiss Army knife/multi tool out of your carryon. If you forget hope that they confiscate your bear repellent and miss the knife and multi tool.

Allegedly not keen on Rocket Blowers, bit grenade like maybe?
Last time I flew they even took my asthma inhaler away to test, either that or the security bloke needed a puff

Flew with easyjet just couple weeks back with A7RIII and 3 batteries (one in camera, two spare) and it's just fine.
In fact I don't think the airline you are traveling with makes any difference tbh. Just keep it on you in your hand luggage and you'll be fine.
I travel multiple times a year with batteries and have done so for past 5 years at least with no issues

Having had tedious conversations with airport security about them testing my toothpaste every time I fly from our local airport and given how one or two of them can be quite officious I do as others do - spare batteries taped and in plastic bags. I carry a print out of the page from the airline I'm flying with in case of doubt.
The airlines have their own rules but the security staff don't work for the airline and may not be familiar with them, being able to prove you're compliant may stop an expensive spare battery going in the bin.

Yes taking a rocket blower will lead to a camera bag check, i made that mistake but let thru on examination of the camera bag. Best to take it out first to show them

My spare Canon DSLR batteries are always in my carry-on in their orange plastic trays. Never had any problems, not even a comment.

Well they did with mine at Heathrow a few years ago

I didn't dispute your experience. I simply commented on mine, which is based on many flights and many airports (including LHR) on six out of the seven continents. Bags have, of course, been checked but never specifically for batteries.

At Munich airport I had to take each lens out and remove both caps. I also had to turn the camera on. Then they took my bag off for dusting. I asked if it was for explosives, but was told it was for drugs.

I obviously look dodgy as I seem to get stopped and searched almost every time. In fact I've started to dress more smartly when I travel now - worked last time.

I've never had a problem with spare batteries.

Back