SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
_DSC0576 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I took a punt on there being a fairly good chance of a colourful sunset last night. It wasn't bad and I managed to get reflections and the colours at the same time. 5 mins either side of this and it was choppy and the colour wasn't there. This spot is becoming a tripod hole of mine but I really like the row of trees here.

It's certainly not awful Steve, it's is a very nice image but I don't think it's up there with your best.

I love the soft tones and shades and the colours are lovely too. It doesn't grab me like some of your other work does though and I'm not sure why. I'm wondering is it maybe the 2 dimensional composition? I know it's going to be 2D but I feel it needs more depth, it's a little flat in that way, I'm not going into the image. I stop at the trees and want to go onto the hills. I'm trying to like it in the way I like your other work but can't quite get there.

Still, would look good on any wall.

It's certainly not awful Steve, it's is a very nice image but I don't think it's up there with your best.

I love the soft tones and shades and the colours are lovely too. It doesn't grab me like some of your other work does though and I'm not sure why. I'm wondering is it maybe the 2 dimensional composition? I know it's going to be 2D but I feel it needs more depth, it's a little flat in that way, I'm not going into the image. I stop at the trees and want to go onto the hills. I'm trying to like it in the way I like your other work but can't quite get there.

Still, would look good on any wall.

I've taken it a few times. The last two times the hills had snow and the time before, there was light on the hills and the trees were in shadow - this in itself would give more depth. It was nice to be out and about though and the colours were lovely to see.

I agree with what Dale is saying nice but not what were used to from you.
That spark of light is missing or you could up the contrast but thats not the feel you had at the time I suppose. The way it goes I suppose.

I like it but it lacks a little pop, I like the light on the hills but there doesn't seem to be separation/contrast with the trees.
Obviously i'd take it, maybe I'm relating it too much with something I tries at the w/e, without the water, reflections, only one tree, bigger hill :)

I like it but it lacks a little pop, I like the light on the hills but there doesn't seem to be separation/contrast with the trees.
Obviously i'd take it, maybe I'm relating it too much with something I tries at the w/e, without the water, reflections, only one tree, bigger hill :)

It's a low contrast scene with everything a similar shade of brown lol. Think the scene with snow worked better

Wee bump. It surely cannot be that awful...

Definitely not awful at all. Probably the fact that it is technically spot on means people can't think of anything constructive to say. I notice this a lot, we will praise the limited merits of a poor photograph then offer critique because we can but ignore a technically good photograph because we don't want to keep saying 'great shot' perhaps!

I really like the scene, and the composition you have worked here. The shot itself makes me feel a little cold though, which as you have said would work better with a hard frost or snow. Conversely some warm light would bring it to life for the opposite reason.

Back