"Trigger" - The Dambusters

So because certain words were used in the past do you think its acceptable now?
How about half chat or schwartzer, lets go full on Alf with coons.
Heard these and many more growing up in the East End, got a few for the god forbids too.
Then we have ginger and iron for the gays, that ok too with you?
Is spastic ok for a disabled person, it was at one time not so long ago.

Shocked and appalled, you should be and if you ain't shame on you

Last edited:
You can’t change the past, only the future can be changed. History has happened, not all good . But it can’t be changed selectively to not offend someone, some comedians in the past have called white people snowflakes , so does the word snowflake be banned from use , as it may offend someone

...and if you ain't shame on you
I think that sort of rant does your cause little good.

History is what it was and current thought is what it is. Those who try to make others feel guilty about accepting that are only going to do their cause harm.

Shocked and appalled, you should be
I'm trying to work out what this means - have you become a Jedi master called Yoda?
So because certain words were used in the past do you think its acceptable now?
Of course not, and nobody has suggested otherwise.
My objection is to the current practice of re-writing those parts of history that have fallen out of fashion.

Perhaps "Porridge" should be banned, it made fun of prison officers.
Alf Garnet was a bit extreme, but basically the programme made fun of his attitudes rather than his targets.
And the same applied to "Love Your Neighbour" and there will be countless others.

My problem is with the woke brigade who seem to be intent on offending themselves on behalf of others, and whose own version of reality denies the actual reality.

Anyway, I'll be away for the next few days without internet, so I'll leave this discussion here.

My friend was a fantastic goalkeeper and also Black.
He couldn't get a contract because managers worried that racist abuse could distract him at a crucial moment.
I detest the ignorance that caused things like that to happen.
It's not being offended on behalf others when you have witnessed the distress first hand
Those programmes were made purely to get laughs, don't kid yourself otherwise.

Last edited:
I quite agree anything said to offend is wrong, but the past is the past, and should remain to remind people what has past, in love thy neighbour, the white guy was always made to look the fool. And till death do us part probably reflected the feeling of some people at the time, but not now

Last edited:
I quite agree anything said to offend is wrong...
I think that some people have difficulty understanding that history is about what was and not about what is.

The foolish people who pulled down the Colston statue may have thought that they were striking a blow for a better future but in reality, they were setting the stage for "Fahrenheit 451".

Back