Tripod Ball Heads (Arca Swiss) - recommendations?

lindsay

Admin
Name
Lindsay
Edit My Images
Yes
Having bought myself a new Benro tripod at the Photography Show, I neglected at the time to think about heads for it. I have a Gimbal head and a Manfrotto geared head, and a Manfrotto ball head, but I want an Arca-swiss compatible ball head instead of the Manfrotto QR plate as the latter is just too fiddly, at least that's how I find it. So I was looking at the Three Legged Thing as well as Benro ones and was wondering if anyone might have suggestions/recommendations? I'm looking to keep the cost below around £150 if possible, or thereabouts.

Small Rig are quite sturdy yet small and light. Not expensive, either. Or you could go for a pistol-grip type, such as a Neewer. I have such a grip which I am considering moving on. Keep an eye on Classifieds if I ever get round to it!

Having bought myself a new Benro tripod at the Photography Show, I neglected at the time to think about heads for it. I have a Gimbal head and a Manfrotto geared head, and a Manfrotto ball head, but I want an Arca-swiss compatible ball head instead of the Manfrotto QR plate as the latter is just too fiddly, at least that's how I find it. So I was looking at the Three Legged Thing as well as Benro ones and was wondering if anyone might have suggestions/recommendations? I'm looking to keep the cost below around £150 if possible, or thereabouts.
I have had a fair selection over the years and two mid priced companies I would recommend are FLM and Sunwayfoto.
Markin, Kirk and Arca are also good, usually bigger, heavier and more expensive.
The newer Gitzo's are also good, but not overly cheap although its the one I use now because it came with the tripod at a goodly price.
I did have a Three Legged Thing ball head on one of their tripods, not impressed and long gone.
If their larger heads are as good as the little one on my Vanguard travel tripod they could be worth a look.

I maybe should have added that I'm looking to use this with my D850 plus Sigma 24-35 and Tamron 35-150 lenses mainly, so not lightweight

@Topsy I've just bought that head on MPB. If you're buying anything there, here's a referral code for £20 off: MPB referral code
Thanks again

I have had a number of ballheads and found the American ones from Acratech and Really Right Stuff are by far the best. Why? Because not only are their designs well thought out but their build quality is superb. IMO they deserve their high price. Their balls don't creep or slip!!

I am now looking to sell my RRS BH-30 Ballhead which has long A-S clamp with Quick Release lever and spirit level bubble and also a built in panning base. I have mounted combos such as the Canon 1DX-2 + ED 500mm F/4L II on it without any problems and yet it's relatively compact.

I haven't advertised it for sale anywhere yet but if someone here is interested I would post it in the Classifieds section here on TP.

Last edited:
I've got a Manfrotto ballhead which came with my Befree GTXPro tripod and like you wanted an Arcaswiss compatible head. Easily solved with one of these!

Unless you really want another ball head, I'd just get that and replace the Manfrotto QR mount. But it's always nice to have a bit more gear :)

I have had a number of ballheads and found the American ones from Acratech and Really Right Stuff are by far the best. Why? Because not only are their designs well thought out but their build quality is superb. IMO they deserve their high price. Their balls don't creep or slip!!

I am now looking to sell my RRS BH-30 Ballhead which has long A-S clamp with Quick Release lever and spirit level bubble and also a built in panning base. I have mounted combos such as the Canon 1DX-2 + ED 500mm F/4L II on it without any problems and yet it's relatively compact.

I haven't advertised it for sale anywhere yet but if someone here is interested I would post it in the Classifieds section here on TP.

I used to have one of those ball heads before I went large format (and then returning back to digital!) and honestly, it's an absolute belter. RRS ball heads are brilliant.

I would suggest a Benro Ball Head like the G2, the nice thing about the Benro's is the added security, it won't release the camera from the Arca grip unless you pull and unwind the locking mechanism, if you just unwind it then it stays locked.

DO NOT get a Manfrotto xxx-Q6 ARCA compatible ballhead, these IME do not grip genric ARCA plates correctly and caused the demise of my first GFX50S

I would suggest a Benro Ball Head like the G2, the nice thing about the Benro's is the added security, it won't release the camera from the Arca grip unless you pull and unwind the locking mechanism, if you just unwind it then it stays locked.
I discovered this on one I bought recently, after assuming it was faulty! Great idea.

I always liked the 'quick lock' of Manfrotto heads for their security, but preferred an Arca plate for their simplicity, however couldn't trust them because I drop things too easily.

Thankfully, Manfrotto solved the problem for me with this: https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/496-centre-ball-head-with-top-lock-plate-mh496-q6/

I have this for my 055 and monopod, but also it's heavier duty big brother for my 057 tripod - that can support my weight as well as the camera. ;)

Last edited:
@lindsay

DO NOT get a Manfrotto xxx-Q6 ARCA compatible ballhead, these IME do not grip genric ARCA plates correctly and caused the demise of my first GFX50S
Didn't one of the Manfrotto heads or clamp have a design issue that caused a pin to stick or release inadvertently?

Last edited:
I have a Sirui ball head for my monopod, works a treat but only use it for the cameras in my signature.
.... I used to use a ballhead on my Gitzo monopod but adding a Gitzo swivel foot and a RRS Two-way Arca-Swiss Quick Release Lever head works far better.

Once upon a time I had a Sirui carbon gimbal head but part exchanged it because it was 'notchy' - It was a known issue at the time.

I haven't read all the replies so this might have been suggested already, but what's wrong with a simple AS plate on Manfrotto QR plate? I do it all the time with no issues.

.... I used to use a ballhead on my Gitzo monopod but adding a Gitzo swivel foot and a RRS Two-way Arca-Swiss Quick Release Lever head works far better.

Once upon a time I had a Sirui carbon gimbal head but part exchanged it because it was 'notchy' - It was a known issue at the time.

With me even it it gave way, my camera is always on my PD wrist strap so it would go know where if the head went.

Yes! - I rebuilt mine several times, the slightest dirst ingress and it would stick.
.... Absolutely not what you would want to happen at any time! In a word 'Unreliable!' - I trust you got rid of it very soon.

With me even it it gave way, my camera is always on my PD wrist strap so it would go know where if the head went.

I fit a paracord back up strap between the camera and tripod when I'm outdoors and quite often when indoors too. (y)

Back