Tripod for Gimbal Head

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for a budget tripod for use with a gimbal head.

I have a cheap Velbon CX640 its nice and sturdy with good solid clips on the legs but you cannot replace the pan-handle head which is a great shame, its also the perfect height for me, up to 64" height.

You can imagine how ridiculous it will look with its pan-handle head and a gimbal on top. :LOL: Not just looking funny, the main reason for needing a new tripod is the pan head on the Velbon is only connected to the mount on one side and this creates a bonce when using a large telephoto lens like the Sigma 150-600mm.

Other than to call what I'm looking for a "headless" tripod is all I find is tripods mostly having screw type legs and not looking as study and robust as the 'cheap' one I already have, and the prices! :jawdrop:

I'm looking for a budget tripod for use with a gimbal head.

I have a cheap Velbon CX640 its nice and sturdy with good solid clips on the legs but you cannot replace the pan-handle head which is a great shame, its also the perfect height for me, up to 64" height.

You can imagine how ridiculous it will look with its pan-handle head and a gimbal on top. :LOL: Not just looking funny, the main reason for needing a new tripod is the pan head on the Velbon is only connected to the mount on one side and this creates a bonce when using a large telephoto lens like the Sigma 150-600mm.

Other than to call what I'm looking for a "headless" tripod is all I find is tripods mostly having screw type legs and not looking as study and robust as the 'cheap' one I already have, and the prices! :jawdrop:
Which tripods have you looked at so far? What kind of budget where you thinking and also what gimbal head have you got. What height do you need? What kit are you putting on it?

The majority of tripods won’t include a head. They will have a 3/8 thread to screw your chosen head onto it.

Tripods can be expensive but they should be looked at as an investment. If you buy a good quality one it should last you years. If you’re happy with the velbon you should be happy with most tripods on the market. Just make sure what you get can support the kit you are thinking of using. I’m not surprised there is ‘bounce’ with the 150-600 mounted to the velbon. In a way I’m a bit surprised the head joint didn’t break under the weight of the 150-600. It’s maximum weight capacity is 4kg so it was probably close to that. A manfrotto 055 tripod has a rating of 9kg so should be sturdier.

I used to have a velbon when I first started photography. It was ok but it’s not anywhere near as sturdier as other tripods I’ve had (granted some have cost much more but second hand prices or sale prices are much friendlier on the wallet).

After about a year or so I changed to a manfrotto 055 as I wanted to use a different head. I’ve since picked up a Gitzo as they were selling off the previous at discounted prices and I was using a very heavy lens for wildlife. It was expensive but it can be maintained and should nearly last a lifetime (tripod technology doesn’t move forward very fast). I shouldn’t ever need another tripod!

Personally I prefer screw type legs. I just find them easier to use (I can open all leg locks with a single twist) and there is no more pinching fingertips.

Which tripods have you looked at so far? What kind of budget where you thinking and also what gimbal head have you got. What height do you need? What kit are you putting on it?

The majority of tripods won’t include a head. They will have a 3/8 thread to screw your chosen head onto it.

Tripods can be expensive but they should be looked at as an investment. If you buy a good quality one it should last you years. If you’re happy with the velbon you should be happy with most tripods on the market. Just make sure what you get can support the kit you are thinking of using. I’m not surprised there is ‘bounce’ with the 150-600 mounted to the velbon. In a way I’m a bit surprised the head joint didn’t break under the weight of the 150-600. It’s maximum weight capacity is 4kg so it was probably close to that. A manfrotto 055 tripod has a rating of 9kg so should be sturdier.

I used to have a velbon when I first started photography. It was ok but it’s not anywhere near as sturdier as other tripods I’ve had (granted some have cost much more but second hand prices or sale prices are much friendlier on the wallet).

After about a year or so I changed to a manfrotto 055 as I wanted to use a different head. I’ve since picked up a Gitzo as they were selling off the previous at discounted prices and I was using a very heavy lens for wildlife. It was expensive but it can be maintained and should nearly last a lifetime (tripod technology doesn’t move forward very fast). I shouldn’t ever need another tripod!

Personally I prefer screw type legs. I just find them easier to use (I can open all leg locks with a single twist) and there is no more pinching fingertips.
Originally I started looking at the K&F Concept tripods around the same price tag as my original Velbon CX640 (under £100) all of which have heads leaving me wondering "does the head come off" so I can use it with the gimbal otherwise I'm no better off. I still puzzled why the manufacturers don't tell you the supplied head comes off leaving the thread for use of other heads?

I quite like the idea of buying a robust cheapy with a fluid head or something similar as long as it comes off leaving me free to attach other heads. e.g. Neewer Pro Metal Gimbal.

Working out weight 3kg (sigma 150-600 lens+Nikon Camera) and 1.5kg for the gimbal. Total weight 4.5kg the Slik Pro 400DX Tripod Legs Only as mentioned by Steve above looks ideal and a price that won't empty my wallet. I'd still most likely have to buy a fluid head to go with it for when not requiring the gimbal setup.

I was quite impressed with Benros larger tripods when I looked at them at the photography show a few years back (I wouldn’t bother going anywhere need their travel tripods. The one I had wasn’t that stable). This benro mach3 looks pretty good but maybe more than you were thinking.

It’s worth looking at second hand tripods. There can be some good prices if you find the right place. My manfrotto was second hand and came from mifsuds at a great price.

I know all about the having another head if you use a gimbal. I struggled with it for a few years as I hated having different heads and having to change them all the time. I went through a few tripod heads trying to find the right one for me. In the end I got the uniqball head as it was an all in one (or as near as I could get). It was a bit more expensive but not that much different to having two or three different heads. Since 2014 I haven’t bought another tripod head (barring buying a larger uniqball head when the heavy long lens I was using was too heavy for the smaller uniqball). I haven’t felt like I need any tripod head since.

Interesting thing about tripods and how stiff you need one to be ( I don't know the answer ).

I use a D500 with a Tamron 150-600 on a Neewer metal gimbal ( dismantled and re-lubbed ). The tripod is an older Man 055 Aluminium which feels very sturdy and heavy.

It seems fit for purpose but there is always some "springyness" in the setup. I actually tracked this down to the Tamron Tripod foot itself and you can see it bending slightly when you tap it. The gimbal and tripod ( centre column down and bottom legs only half extended ) isn't really moving.

I had tried a really cheap Geekoto CF tripod from amazon and that really was unstiff - badly designed plate.

Just out of interest, stiffnesses for various 3 section leg tripods from the center column site are:

Gitzo 5 series 4939
Gitzo 4 series 3261
Gitzo 3 series 2147
Man 055 CF 1289
Man 055 AL 878 ( e.g. mine )
Man 190 AL 483 ( have one of these also )

Any of these would carry the head load ( same as yours ) though I leave the 190 for lighter stuff.

The 190 also feels fairly stable to me unless its fully extended but even then its not bad.

The Slik legs mentioned above look good and good value for money - I might have tried them if I'd seen them before. At about 300 there are some really stiff looking chinese ones off amazon - just the legs and they look like Gitzo clones.

So what does one actually need ?

I am thinking about going with the Slik 400DX only shame the website doing it for £48 has no stock. So I'm on the look out for it elsewhere or something similar.

Headless (legs only) or with a fluid head / pan head but must be removeable for a gimbal. Height around 64" to handle weight around 4.5kg

All recommendations most welcome. Thank you for your replies.

Last edited:
I'd recommend a pre owned Manfrotto 055 in aluminium. Shouldn't break the bank and pretty sturdy

I have just added the SLIK gimbal head to my SLIK Pro 400 leg and I am also using a Sigma 150-600 (with TC), it balances nicely and is stable. Possibly not as good as the Manfrotto 055 range but at £48 for just the legs, it fitted my opinion of a budget solution.

Slik Pro 400DX Tripod Legs Only (microglobe.co.uk)
Seriously? You spent ~ 200£ on a head to stick it on ~ 50£ legs???

Working out weight 3kg (sigma 150-600 lens+Nikon Camera) and 1.5kg for the gimbal. Total weight 4.5kg the Slik Pro 400DX Tripod Legs Only as mentioned by Steve above looks ideal and a price that won't empty my wallet. I'd still most likely have to buy a fluid head to go with it for when not requiring the gimbal setup.
Ideally you want a tripod rated for at least 2x the weight you will be putting on it... with most manufacturers the rated weight limit seems to be the limit at which it crashes to the ground destroying your camera. And I would avoid any tripod that has a 1/4-20 mounting stud for the head... industry standard is the larger 3/8-16 (1/4-20 can be adapted if absolutely necessary).

If you think a slix cx640 with its' integral plastic head is sturdy, then you are in for a real surprise if you get something actually decent. The lowest spec I can reasonably suggest is the aluminum Vanguard AltaPro or Benro Series1 (Series2 is better and very reasonable money). Buying used from someone who is upgrading (because they bought less than they needed) is always a good option.

Last edited:
Originally I started looking at the K&F Concept tripod
The heads are removable and have a 3/8 UNC screw. But treat them as a travel tripod rather than any sort of heavy duty.

Last edited:
Ideally you want a tripod rated for at least 2x the weight you will be putting on it... with most manufacturers the rated weight limit seems to be the limit at which it crashes to the ground destroying your camera. And I would avoid any tripod that has a 1/4-20 mounting stud for the head... industry standard is the larger 3/8-16 (1/4-20 can be adapted if absolutely necessary).

If you think a slix cx640 with its' integral plastic head is sturdy, then you are in for a real surprise if you get something actually decent. The lowest spec I can reasonably suggest is the aluminum Vanguard AltaPro or Benro Series1 (Series2 is better and very reasonable money). Buying used from someone who is upgrading (because they bought less than they needed) is always a good option.
I will make sure it supports twice the weight. Good advice, thank you.

Seriously? You spent ~ 200£ on a head to stick it on ~ 50£ legs???
Seriously YES I did and so far even in todays heavy wind I am pleased, it was my plan to upgrade to 700 in the future unless I can get a Manfrotto 055 used for a similar price. But for now I am happy as I already have the 400 and I did not have a Gimbal !

The heads are removable and have a 3/8 UNC screw. But treat them as a travel tripod rather than any sort of heavy duty.
I am going to have a look at Geekoto 79", I have seen some good reviews on YouTube. I also discovered in the video ( as you have said) the heads do come off. I wish it was made clearer in the descriptions before you buy. And as SK66 says above better to have 3/8 screw and a tripod that is rated to take twice the weight. All the legs I have seen on some of these tripods even the really professional looking expensive ones look thinner than my old Velbon CX640. I suppose you don't know unless you've tried it.

I like the idea of it also becoming a monopod and the low level shooting by reversing the centre pole. I have seen a reviewer using the 150-600mm lens I have on the ball head that comes with the tripod and still giving it a good review. So hopefully all good. I will update. Cheers

Last edited:
Seriously YES I did and so far even in todays heavy wind I am pleased, it was my plan to upgrade to 700 in the future unless I can get a Manfrotto 055 used for a similar price. But for now I am happy as I already have the 400 and I did not have a Gimbal !
I suppose I have done it round the other way; a used Neewer Pro Gimbal for £35 and a tripod for £60. :D, But if I could have got away with putting the gimbal on my old cheap Velbon legs I would have done, especially with them looking more robust than these really expensive tripods. :giggle: I saw a review for a really expensive tripod the legs where bowing under their own weight as they were be erected. :jawdrop: I shall miss that sturdy old bugger!

Last edited:
I am going to have a look at Geekoto 79", I have seen some good reviews on YouTube. I also discovered in the video ( as you have said) the heads do come off. I wish it was made clearer in the descriptions before you buy. And as SK66 says above better to have 3/8 screw and a tripod that is rated to take twice the weight. All the legs I have seen on some of these tripods even the really professional looking expensive ones look thinner than my old Velbon CX640. I suppose you don't know unless you've tried it.

I like the idea of it also becoming a monopod and the low level shooting by reversing the centre pole. I have seen a reviewer using the 150-600mm lens I have on the ball head that comes with the tripod and still giving it a good review. So hopefully all good. I will update. Cheers

The Geekoto 79 - this was the one I got from amazon - about 129 quid -and sent back after a few days. Maybe worth you trying it just to see what you think.

If you scroll down to the 1 and 2 star votes you will found several people saying that the column was out by 5 or so degrees - and that was what I found with the one I tried. Annoying if you are trying to use it inside without a levelling base.

But, I sent it back because, as I commented above, it is incredibly floppy - the issue is the tripod base ( where the legs attach and the column goes through ) it is just too weak. Compared to my cheap ebay 055 or 190 aluminium ( about 35 quid each ) - not even close. I didn't even risk it with my d500/tam g2.

There are lots of favourable You tube vids of the geekoto and I wonder if anyone of them has actually used a tripod in real life. Its probably just me - I am sceptical about all but a very few Vbloggers on camera gear.

I am not a Manfrotto fanboy - just got them because there are loads available on ebay at good prices - and you get get spares . Many more better, stiffer, and more expensive brands and models but they are at least functional tripods.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Geekoto 79 - this was the one I got from amazon - about 129 quid -and sent back after a few days. Maybe worth you trying it just to see what you think.

If you scroll down to the 1 and 2 star votes you will found several people saying that the column was out by 5 or so degrees - and that was what I found with the one I tried. Annoying if you are trying to use it inside without a levelling base.

But, I sent it back because, as I commented above, it is incredibly floppy - the issue is the tripod base ( where the legs attach and the column goes through ) it is just too weak. Compared to my cheap ebay 055 or 190 aluminium ( about 35 quid each ) - not even close. I didn't even risk it with my d500/tam g2.

There are lots of favourable You tube vids of the geekoto and I wonder if anyone of them has actually used a tripod in real life. Its probably just me - I am sceptical about all but a very few Vbloggers on camera gear.

I am not a Manfrotto fanboy - just got them because there are loads available on ebay at good prices - and you get get spares . Many more better, stiffer, and more expensive brands and models but they are at least functional tripods.
I will give it a try, comes tomorrow. All the ones I look at seem to have thin legs. :rolleyes:. The manfrotto 055 has been mentioned a lot on this thread so I think I'm probably making a mistake not looking out for one of those. The Geekoto says it handles weight 10kg, so I thought ok Cam+Lens+Gimbal is just under 5kg I'll give it a try. But going on what I'm used to with the robust and sturdy legs on the Velbon CX640 I think I'm going to be disappointed. Thank you for the info Richard.

I have a Benbo Trekker and have used it for over 25 years. I often put a D810 with a 80-400mm lens on it but did buy a pan head for occasional use (it came with a ball head). Until you have got used to it it's like wrestling with bagpipes but once you are au fait with it you'd find it very sturdy and very, very versatile.

I found my first tripod in the cupboard earlier. It’s a Velbon CX540. For the cost its an ok tripod. I wouldn’t trust the kit I now have on it (not that is will fit as Ive standardised on acra Swiss plates). I would definitely say the Manfrotto 055proxb I replaced it with was a much better tripod (The gitzo systematic 3 series that replaced the manfrotto is in a different league again). Things like adjustable leg angle angle and the ability to get lower to the ground (you can get a replacement short centre column) were all worthwhile benefits.

I’d recommend having a look at the manfrotto 055 especially at used copies if you can find an excellent condition one. Tripods are definitely a personal taste. One persons stable is another persons unstable. places like the photography show are invaluable when you want to personally review what available and see them before purchasing. Everyone opinions is their opinion and may not match your opinion so it’s difficult making a choice and can be a minefield with the amount of different manufacturers and models out there.

If you're really just using the tripod/gimbal to hold the weight off your arms, then you may do OK with that setup. But if you are actually wanting stability at 400mm+ effective you'll need to look beyond the 700 and 055 level IMO.
I appreciate needing to stay on budget; but tripods and heads are one of the areas where "buy now/buy cheap" is usually a waste of money. Luckily, good ones last forever and there are many good deals used if patient.

Last edited:
If you're really just using the tripod/gimbal to hold the weight off your arms, then you may do OK with that setup. But if you are actually wanting stability at 400mm+ effective you'll need to look beyond the 700 and 055 level IMO.
I appreciate needing to stay on budget; but tripods and heads are one of the areas where "buy now/buy cheap" is usually a waste of money. Luckily, good ones last forever and there are many good deals used if patient.
If only I could knock up a 3/8 mount to attach to the centre pole on the Velbon CX640 making it headless, I could rebrand it and make a fortune. :rolleyes:

If only I could knock up a 3/8 mount to attach to the centre pole on the Velbon CX640 making it headless, I could rebrand it and make a fortune. :rolleyes:
I am sure you could find a local machine shop who could knock up a plate, cut your centre tube and fit a nice new mount !!!!!

Hmm, A piece of hardwood dowel, sanded to fit the tube, a piece of thick ply to act as a plate and a 3/8 unc bolt. Seems like an hours work.

Just so we might be able to help. What is your budget
Up to £100. I'm trying to find a sturdy tripod with height about 64" with a removeable head, I would have liked to buy new.

The Geekoto 79" that I trying out has bendy legs, and I have notice what other people said about it not being straight. Shame.

Up to £100. I'm trying to find a sturdy tripod with height about 64" with a removeable head, I would have liked to buy new.

The Geekoto 79" that I trying out has bendy legs, and I have notice what other people said about it not being straight. Shame.

used 055 and 190 aluminium in mint condition both 10-20 years old cost me about 35 quid each a month or so ago off ebay. They are heavyish at 2.4 and 2 kgs.

The xproB with the horizontal centre column in Al are around as well at reasonable prices.

You might get a CF version of either within budget. The only other ones I researched were the Benros like the mach 3 but couldn’t find them cheap and used.

I don't think you will find what you are looking for new so it's either
1) Keep saving or
2) Buy s/h

Personally I favour option 2. A lot of tripods don't live a hard life. People get one and then realise how much it weighs and it's a faff to keep lugging it around. They then shove it in a cupboard.

I went from an aluminium Manfrotto 055 to a Feisol CF tripod the s/h route

Was the Benro Mach 3 series 2 not any good? £106 new and 155cm tall. Don’t forget this is the height without a head attached so you can add 10-15cm to that height.

Do you really need a height of 6ft4. I know you are that tall but there aren’t going to be many tripods that high. My gitzo GT3542LS is about 145cm. Add a head it’s up to around 155cm. That’s a good height as it’s roughly chest height. Have to measured the velbon to find how high it really is? This review says the velbon is 164cm high which is quite a bit lower than 6ft 4 (193cm?).

Last edited:
I hate to be blunt, but what you want/need is simply NOT available for your current budget, and your 'perception' of a 'solid' tripod, bears no resemblance to fact!

Nothing with a centre column is 'solid', so it would be useful to know what you want to shoot with your outfit?

I understand that not everyone can afford a new 5 series Gitzo, but I would suggest saving some more money and start looking for a second-hand 3 series Gitzo, as an absolute minimum, if you really want a 'solid' base for your camera and lens. - A decent one can be found on ebay for around £300.00

Anything less, will simply be a compromise that you will want to upgrade, as soon as you use it. - How do I know?.......I went through the same exercise and wasted a lot of money until I bought my second-hand Gitzo 5 series!

A compromise in the short-term, would be to maybe consider a decent second-hand Monopod, such as a Gitzo 5561, which will also work well with a gimbal.

Was the Benro Mach 3 series 2 not any good? £106 new and 155cm tall. Don’t forget this is the height without a head attached so you can add 10-15cm to that height.

Do you really need a height of 6ft4. I know you are that tall but there aren’t going to be many tripods that high. My gitzo GT3542LS is about 145cm. Add a head it’s up to around 155cm. That’s a good height as it’s roughly chest height. Have to measured the velbon to find how high it really is? This review says the velbon is 164cm high which is quite a bit lower than 6ft 4 (193cm?).

I read the OP as 64 inches [emoji848] If he needs 6ft 4 then the Manfrotto 075 will do that although not certain if that's with the column extended. It's a beast of a tripod weight wise but supposed good for a 12kg load or more based on this video
View: https://youtu.be/biFqUJRMWlo

I read the OP as 64 inches [emoji848] If he needs 6ft 4 then the Manfrotto 075 will do that although not certain if that's with the column extended. It's a beast of a tripod weight wise but supposed good for a 12kg load or more based on this video
View: https://youtu.be/biFqUJRMWlo
Just read it again - 64 inches not 6 foot 4. I don’t work in anything but metric. feet or inches is just person height hence reading it wrong.

I hate to be blunt, but what you want/need is simply NOT available for your current budget, and your 'perception' of a 'solid' tripod, bears no resemblance to fact!

Nothing with a centre column is 'solid', so it would be useful to know what you want to shoot with your outfit?

I understand that not everyone can afford a new 5 series Gitzo, but I would suggest saving some more money and start looking for a second-hand 3 series Gitzo, as an absolute minimum, if you really want a 'solid' base for your camera and lens. - A decent one can be found on ebay for around £300.00

Anything less, will simply be a compromise that you will want to upgrade, as soon as you use it. - How do I know?.......I went through the same exercise and wasted a lot of money until I bought my second-hand Gitzo 5 series!

A compromise in the short-term, would be to maybe consider a decent second-hand Monopod, such as a Gitzo 5561, which will also work well with a gimbal.

I tend to agree with you - but there is a "but"

I posted (above) data from centercolumn.com on the stiffnesses of various tripods and obviously the gitzo 5 series is top

Gitzo 5 series 4939
Gitzo 4 series 3261
Gitzo 3 series 2147
Man 055 CF 1289
Man 055 AL 878 ( e.g. mine )
Man 190 AL 483 ( have one of these also )

so the AL 055 is 1/5 the stiffness of the Gitzo 5

the "but"is, that my own experience of using my tamron G2 is that it is the tripod foot itself that is, by far, the weakest link.

BTW - I always use the manfrottos with the column down and as little extension as possible to the bottom set ( of the 3 not 4 ) legs.

It I had a 600f4 prime then I wouldn't bother with anything other than a Gitzo 5 but with these consumer zooms, my impression is that they are stable and stiff enough as they are ever going to be unless you replace the foot, on a basic but robust tripod ( but not a cheapo chinese one ).

In terms of investment and if the OP or anyone aspires to the best possible stability with the best canon or nikon primes the it is a false economy to invest 100's in a medium range tripod - the only issue is how much you compromise for "travel".

Paying 10's of quid on a 055 ( 0r 075) to get started with something is IMO, better than spending 100's on some neither here of there tripod CF or not.

Back