Tripod for landscape photography

Name
Jean Pierre
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
I am searching for a good tripod for my landscape photography, and replacement of my very aged Manfrotto 190 tripod.
The perfect tripod is not available, I am aware of this but has a few demands for my new tripod.
First of all it must be tall enough for me (be 1,72 m tall so the tripod should be 1,42 m high) if possible without a center column (or with a short column. this for my second request, it must can get low to the ground, also for my macro photography. I use a DSLR sometimes with a telephoto lens, so a handling weight must be at least around 15 kg. And it should fit my Benro GD3WH geared head, without the extra adapter, so the base plate of the tripod must be smaller than 80 mm.
I had a few options in sight which according me get my goals or come close to this, first the famous Benro Mach 3 TMA38CL, or the little brother TMA28C (which is a little bit to short). another option is the Benro TTOR35 C of the Tortoise range, but this has then 5 leg section, while I prefer 4. last option is the Leofoto LS364C.
Has anyone had experience with these tripods and are there other suggestions for me.
I have not the highest budget, but will go for a Carbon version instead the alu versions.

I went for the 3 legged things punks Brian as it’s tall enough for me at 6’4” (193cm) with centre column up, but I think is tall enough for you without the centre column. It’s also lightweight but has a high load capacity of 14kg. The only thing I’m not sure about it putting your head on it.

They’ve updated it to the version 2 since I’ve had mine.

I have no experience of the others, but I do own the Benro Tortoise 35C, and am VERY happy with it. Gets very close to the ground and is generally high enough for everything I need, but I did purchase the optional extension column in case I needed some extra height. Great tripod.

I have no experience of the others, but I do own the Benro Tortoise 35C, and am VERY happy with it. Gets very close to the ground and is generally high enough for everything I need, but I did purchase the optional extension column in case I needed some extra height. Great tripod.
Thanks for the reply, I thought the tripod is 1,52 high so with the head more than high enough. The only disadvantage I find is that it have 5 leg sections.

Recently bought the iFootage. It was that or the 3lt Winston. A couple of reasons i decided against the 3lt, the number of times i have to tighten the shoulder bolts on my 3lt Leo is beyond crazy, it's like almost everytime i close the legs even just when changing location. The I/F has the fastbowl head so no having to adjust the leg length to level it and since i've been using the I/F with it's leg levers, I just couldn't go back to twist knobs on tripod legs, the levers are just so much quicker. Height wise, i'm 5'.10'' and don't fully extend the bottom leg section for keeping the camera at eye level. Steady as a rock too, no centre column and gets pretty low (can't remember the exact no of cm's)

No experience of any of the Benro's but i use a D500 and the 150-600 s sigma and a Z7 with the100-400z on it.

Last edited:
Recently bought the iFootage. It was that or the 3lt Winston. A couple of reasons i decided against the 3lt, the number of times i have to tighten the shoulder bolts on my 3lt Leo is beyond crazy, it's like almost everytime i close the legs even just when changing location. The I/F has the fastbowl head so no having to adjust the leg length to level it and since i've been using the I/F with it's leg levers, I just couldn't go back to twist knobs on tripod legs, the levers are just so much quicker. Height wise, i'm 5'.10'' and don't fully extend the bottom leg section for keeping the camera at eye level. Steady as a rock too, no centre column and gets pretty low (can't remember the exact no of cm's)

No experience of any of the Benro's but i use a D500 and the 150-600 s sigma and a Z7 with the100-400z on it.
Thanks fir the advice, did'nt now the brand. But on first sight seems nice, going to see what tripods they have. Also a local camera store sell this brand also, going to check.

Thanks for the reply, I thought the tripod is 1,52 high so with the head more than high enough. The only disadvantage I find is that it have 5 leg sections.
I get why that may be a concern, and unfortunately ( or fortunately) I’ve not yet been in a situation with it where the conditions have been extreme enough for it to test if it’s an issue :)

How about the Manfrotto 055 ? 140cm with column down, so add the Benro head, and camera atop that, and it will be easily over the 142.
3 Leg sections, 20kg payload weight.
You can get a short centre column for when you need it (I have my gimbal head on a spare short column, as it's quick and easy to remove the normal column with my Manfrotto 410, and switch in the gimbal)

I've not found anything the Benbo (not the Benro) cannot tackle better and more easily than most other tripods. Works exceptionally well on uneven ground (even a 1 in 3 slope) can get down to 6 or 12 inches above ground level (depending on the head fitted) and is tougher than the oldest boots.

The only draw back is weight but there are two versions now, a heavy duty and a lightweight.

Benbo Tripod in use HX90 DSC00704.JPG

Thanks fir the advice, did'nt now the brand. But on first sight seems nice, going to see what tripods they have. Also a local camera store sell this brand also, going to check.
Another couple of points i've just recalled. Comes with spikes and rubber feet, the latter wont unscrew past the end of the spikes so you wont lose them and the carry bag comes with a push out bit at the end to accommodate the tripod with the head attached.

Last edited:
I've not found anything the Benbo (not the Benro) cannot tackle better and more easily than most other tripods. Works exceptionally well on uneven ground (even a 1 in 3 slope) can get down to 6 or 12 inches above ground level (depending on the head fitted) and is tougher than the oldest boots.

The only draw back is weight but there are two versions now, a heavy duty and a lightweight.
I love my Benbo in the studio... but it is big AND heavy (I have the tallest version). It is sturdy for a center column type tripod, but not nearly as sturdy/stable as my big systematic types.

I have both Benbo and Leofoto tripods. Of those two I believe Leofoto has the higher quality; and approaches the level of Gitzo/FLM/PMG/RRS without the cost... I actually have another Leofoto being delivered today. I have not owned a Sirui tripod, but based on the other Sirui equipment I have/do own I would put them as equivalent to Leofoto. So maybe look at their tripods as well.

A systematic type tripod (w/o center column) that is only 80mm wide at the apex doesn't seem feasible (nor desirable) to me. But you will most likely be better off with a short large diameter riser block on a systematic tripod than you are w/ any kind of center column in terms of stability/rigidity.

Back