Tripod for Macro work

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering what people would recommend with regards the tripod and head they use for Macro photos. I was looking something that can get really low to the ground and super stable.

I use a Gitzo 2227 (not sure what the current model number is). It's got an offset centre column so that you can keep the legs away from the subject and avoid disturbance. I prefer 3-way heads but a ball head would be usable.

Bob

I use a manfrotto 190 pro b ,the legs splay out to near ground level and the centre column goes every which way

Thanks for the tips - away to have a look at the options. Not sure the Bean bag would cut it though ;-)

Thanks for the tips - away to have a look at the options. Not sure the Bean bag would cut it though ;-)
Try it... I use nothing else for low level work these days, less hassle than a tripod, lightweight and not very bulky, of course there are situations when a tripod is needed, but if I know I will be low and dirty I just take a set of beanbags.

I was going to suggest Benbo, but not everyone can get on with them. They are very versatile though and stable. I have a Benbo classic (or 1 as it's known) I think it's great tripod for macro and plant photography.

The critical point in this is stability since you there is very
little tolérance to vibrations in macro ambitions. Don't com-
pomise with stability.

Low level? I would suggest a Gitzo 3320BS - a very chunky low level tripod that easily supports my 110 kilos. Discontinued now - but cheaper used and they last forever, well a very long time anyway. A taller tripod will get more expensive and heavier, but the used market should provide you with a Gitzo 3 series carbon fiber tripod at not too silly money.

Back