Tripod for wedding/portrait photograohy

Edit My Images
No
Hey folks, looking for some opinions about the topic title. Recently health hasn't been great with pains but I'm too stubborn to give in to them however I'm wondering if anyone else uses a tripod to help them take the weight of the camera etc for photographing the likes of weddings/portraits or perhaps people use monopod and could suggest a decent monopod? I have a really sturdy tripod that I could use... I know it would cut down on flexibility of my photography but I really don't want to give in. I know others who gave into pain and they have gotten worse so I want to keep going until such times I can't. My gear is nikon and to he honest it wouldn't be worth changing to another body system money wise and again health wise. So I would like to just keep the kit I have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated folks.. Thanks in advance.

If you really can’t handle the weight, try a Manfrotto Neotec monopod, the most flexible support you could find, it comes at a price, but if it’s the only way to work, it’s dirt cheap.

Thanks guys, I can manage the weight for a while but It gets a bit heavy for me after a bit. Ill look into those and see how I get on.

Manfrotto Neotec
Sorry Phil, although I can often be seen supporting Manfrotto products (I got no shares in them BTW), the neotec is cr@p. Most complaints I have ever seen about any manfrotto products.

Thanks guys, I can manage the weight for a while but It gets a bit heavy for me after a bit. Ill look into those and see how I get on.
As you mentioned wedding and portrait photography, using a tripod set at a good height (i.e. lower than is probably comfortable for you or else it will be too high) consider if you can fit some right angle viewing thingme on your camera so if the camera is at your chest height(ish) you look down on it. If it makes any sense :)

Sorry Phil, although I can often be seen supporting Manfrotto products (I got no shares in them BTW), the neotec is cr@p. Most complaints I have ever seen about any manfrotto products.

I sold my M'frotto Neotec tripod, but the Neotec monopod, that Phil is suggesting, would suit the OP well with it's quick height adjustment mechanism.

Alternatively, I use a Benro monopod with lever-leg locks (Manfrottos are similar) because they're easier and faster than twist-collar locks, and lighter/cheaper than a Neotec

My Neotec did fail, but after about 10years of abuse, there’s lots to not recommend it, but if the OP wants a simple solution for weddings/portraits, the versatility is worth its weight in gold. In his position, I’d be happy if I had to buy one every year.

I have one. It's special virtue is that you can extend it and retract it extremely quickly.

I usually use a smaller more portable 4 section monopod for general carrying around. Extending and retracting the four sections does take a bit of time, but it's a lot faster than a tripod, and is small and easy to carry around. I nearly always take a monopod with me, if I'm not taking a tripod, because my damaged right hand very quickly tires of the weight of my camera, even with a small lens.

When I know I'm going to have to be moving about fast and taking quick opportunistic shots in a crowded or cluttered environment then I'll take the Neotec. Nothing comes close to it for what it does best. No complaints at all. If I broke or lost it I'd get another one.

Something I do occasionally is use a tool pouch (intended for snips) on a padded photographer's belt. The pouch will accept the ball foot of a monopod for weight support. This is nice in that it is more mobile/flexible/quicker than a fixed tripod/monopod and you can use the monopod normally as well. And the weight is supported by your waist instead of your neck/shoulders unlike the video support I suggested. For this kind of use I would recommend a ballhead on the monopod.

But it can be kind of awkward in use, having a tool pouch with a monopod sticking into your stomach/groin can be problematic...

I've had a Neotec monopod and a tripod since shortly after they were introduced and they've both been totally reliable and quick to use.
However the tripod is a bit heavy and now that I'm increasingly forced to use a wheelchair it's become something of a handful.
Therefore I've just bought a carbon fibre Manfrotto 190 which is smaller when closed and lighter. It arrived just last Saturday and so far I've only practiced with it in the house, but it is more manageable from the chair than the Neotec.

Back