Tripod harness needed

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, I'm in need of some help.

I have a carbon fibre Gitzo Systematic tripod and a carbon fibre gimbal head and together they still weigh a fair amount, as I have discovered today walking around RSPB Pagham today. No matter how I carry it, it is very uncomfortable.

Now, my thinking is that the most comfortable way to carry it would be to get a tripod harness but I've come cross a bit of a problem. The Gitzo Systematic doesn't have a centre column which the harness attach to for support.

Does anyone know of a harnesses that can be used without a centre column attachment and still be secure enough to carry?

Many thanks in advance.

Have you tried carrying across your shoulders (behind your neck) or over one shoulder with legs splayed open? (easier to put down quickly)

Also whilst carrying over the shoulder a bean bag will provide a cushion...

Yeah, I've tried all sorts or way. I've got padded tripod legs and a shoulder pad to help out but it's just not helping.

How about a couple of [cycle] pedal-clip straps (they make brilliant quick-tighten/release cinch straps) and a spare shoulder strap from a bag or something?

Don't know what they are called but I've seen birders with their scopes on tripods that they carry on their backs. Two legs of the tripods are held in a harness. They seem to do the job but maybe a visit to the Bird Forum (Google is your friend) would pay dividends.

How about a couple of [cycle] pedal-clip straps (they make brilliant quick-tighten/release cinch straps) and a spare shoulder strap from a bag or something?

Thank you, I will have a think on that.

I think it is going to have to be a DIY jobbie, just need to sit down a get a few ideas together.

Ideally I would like one off the shelf if they are available but if not, it's going to be bag butchering time.

Thanks again.

Don't know what they are called but I've seen birders with their scopes on tripods that they carry on their backs. Two legs of the tripods are held in a harness..

These are the tripod harnesses I'm on about but they are all designed to also strap around a tripod centre column for extra support which mine doesn't have.

Last edited:
Well a quick Google brings up several that just hold by two legs. No centre column needed.

Look at Optech straps. They do one that has a strap with a snap buckle fastener each end. One end round the closed legs (my Manfrotto has 'legwarmers' which stop the strap slipping up) and the other end round anything it'll fit to. The straps are slightly elasticated so are more comfortable to carry than a rigid strap. As well as having one on my camera tripod I also put one on a spotting scope after the original strap came off, so they are quite adaptable.

I think it is going to have to be a DIY jobbie, just need to sit down a get a few ideas together.

Might be easier to carry camera/lens separately to tripod, which if fitted with quick release plates, are quickly mounted?

Look at Optech straps. They do one that has a strap with a snap buckle fastener each end. One end round the closed legs (my Manfrotto has 'legwarmers' which stop the strap slipping up) and the other end round anything it'll fit to. The straps are slightly elasticated so are more comfortable to carry than a rigid strap. As well as having one on my camera tripod I also put one on a spotting scope after the original strap came off, so they are quite adaptable.

Good shout, just had a quick look and think I could possible make something from a couple of these.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Tripods are for when you are set up pretty stationary... monopods are for moving around a lot...

Yeah, I just can't get on with monopods.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I've just ordered 2 of these off of amazon to see if I can knock something up.

Attachments

• 81vSWQG-5zL._SX522_.jpg
    81vSWQG-5zL._SX522_.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 22
For a totally unrelated reason, I was browsing the RSPB online shop and saw this:

http://shopping.rspb.org.uk/binoculars-scopes/viking-tripod-carrier.html

r409522.jpg

you could probably attach two and have backpack type functionality.

This is what I am hoping.

If not, I emailed CleySpy with regards to the Mulepack harness and they came back and said it should be fine to use without the centre column strap being used so I will order one of them.

The straps from amazon won't go to waste if I don't use them for the tripod as I need a stronger strap for my camera and lens setup.

I just use an old camera strap with a loop of para cord each end and those slide lock string gripper things you get on hoods. One end goes around the feet of the tripod and the other end around head.
I tend to use the manfroto 044 (I think) thats not a light tripod.

Update.

I took a gamble and ordered the CleySpy Mulepack tripod carrier yesterday and arrived today.

So glad I did, this thing is beautifully made and it fits and secures the tripod like a glove. Done a trial walk around the flat wearing it and I think that it's going to do the job just nicely.

I was worried about the tripod not having a centre column for extra security being attached to the pack but it's fine.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Can post a picture of it setup up later if anyone wants, just say if you do.

Update.

I took a gamble and ordered the CleySpy Mulepack tripod carrier yesterday and arrived today.

So glad I did, this thing is beautifully made and it fits and secures the tripod like a glove. Done a trial walk around the flat wearing it and I think that it's going to do the job just nicely.

I was worried about the tripod not having a centre column for extra security being attached to the pack but it's fine.

Thanks to everyone that replied.

Can post a picture of it setup up later if anyone wants, just say if you do.
Please do I have always liked the look of the Cleyspy one

Here you go, bare with the quality as they were taken on my tablet but it gives you an idea.

2017-09-26_07-40-34.jpg 2017-09-26_07-40-24.jpg

That really does look good ! Out of interest what lens you using on top

That really does look good ! Out of interest what lens you using on top

Sigma 150-600mm Sport, roughly balanced at the 600mm end with a battery grip as a counter balance.

I haven't tried it with the lens and camera on yet but I wouldn't mind if I have to carry that using one of the straps I've got coming from amazon.

Does it have a stated maximum weight with it is able to cope with?

No it doesn't.

I will quite happily carry my tripod, video head and spotting scope on it but not with the gimbal and camera setup.

I would rather not risk and just carry it.

Not sure if you are aware of a potential problem with some of the systematic tripods with camera attached
If you are that's good, if not have a google for base plate falling off.

I had a 3540LS and always made sure the plate was in securely, they rectified it on later models

Not sure if you are aware of a potential problem with some of the systematic tripods with camera attached
If you are that's good, if not have a google for base plate falling off.

I had a 3540LS and always made sure the plate was in securely, they rectified it on later models

I wasn't, thanks for the heads up.

I purchased mine only last year and looks to be a later model so will still check mine out when I get home.

Back