Tripod Head

Name
Giles
Edit My Images
No
I want to get a more sturdy tripod head for landscape photography. I have a half decent Gitzo tripod but the head has always seemed a little cumbersome and not that steady.

Looking about I'm tending towards a Manfrotto, namely the Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W X-Pro 3-Way Head.

Has anyone got any experience of this, or suggest something different? I particularly like the retractable levers as a current pet-hate is removing one to fit it in my tripod bag.

Manfrotto 410JR is *the head* for that type of work. You can pick one up used for not a lot more than that one (I just sold one on Ebay for $180 including priority shipping). You can also spend a lot more for a heavier duty geared head, but I doubt you need that.
But, it is a bit cumbersome/heavy...

I want to get a more sturdy tripod head for landscape photography. I have a half decent Gitzo tripod but the head has always seemed a little cumbersome and not that steady.

Looking about I'm tending towards a Manfrotto, namely the Manfrotto MHXPRO-3W X-Pro 3-Way Head.

Has anyone got any experience of this, or suggest something different? I particularly like the retractable levers as a current pet-hate is removing one to fit it in my tripod bag.

I've just bought this exact head after a year or so using a very good ballhead, but the X-Pro head is nice,the retractable handles work very well and so far seems a nice addition to my tripod!

Manfrotto 410JR is *the head* for that type of work.

:agree::plus1:

…unless you have problems with fingers and/or hands.

Last edited:
I have slight grip problems with both index fingers but can still operate my 410 with ease. Might have problems down the line but that's a few years ahead with luck! As people have said, for FF and 35mm use, the Manfrotto 410 Junior Geared Head is pretty damn good and with a little practise is as quick to set up ACCURATELY as even a ball head Not as light though...

I have that one too and it's just fine, though it has to be said it's the first decent tripod head I've owned. Tucks up nicely, easy to operate, which is important for me as I have problems with my hands, and it'll hold the camera + Sigma 150-600mm at 600mm rock solid for solar photography. I don't use a tripod bag but carry the tripod/head on my shoulder on an Optech strap without anything digging in. It's on a Manfrotto 190 tripod.

It would seem what I'm looking at therefore is a good tripod head, but perhaps the 410JR is a better option. I'll look up pricing and compare some reviews. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks Geoff - not sure if i want to go for a ball head. Sure good ones are good, but they dont give me the same confidence.

Ive got the mn410 jr on a set of gitzo legs gt5531s- great stability with the only concern that the head clashes with the top plate of the tripod if trying to tilt up- i asked on tp and received advice to fix-just awaiting a manfrotto 120-38 spacer to fit between head and plate

No issues with head or legs just a niggle mating them which hopefully will be sorted soon

In the end I decided to opt for the slightly cheaper MXPRO 3-way over the MN410 JR and hope I don't live to regret it. I haven't used it yet, but picked it up today and it seems like a substantial piece of kit. Way beyond what I have been using up to now and looking forward to hopefully getting out to the coast this weekend and trying it out. Thanks again for the comments.

Not the plastic geared version I hope... if it is, I think you will probably regret it.

No, its solid metal - was actually a bit shocked (and pleased) at the weight and sturdiness of it. A world apart from what the tripod came with, but then it cost around 80% of what the tripod originally cost.

Back