Tripod Help

Name
Lisa
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing a tripod, head and mount - I have read many reviews on different ones only to end up more confused than when I started!

So over to you wonderful people to shout out good tripods and show me the light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a budget of £200
Camera is Canon 70D
Biggest lens is Canon 100-400 L ii

It'll mainly be used for wildlife photography but occasionally landscape/time-lapse.

Thank you
Lisa :)

Hey Lisa, I bought two Feisol tripods for location shoots with long lenses
and wide ones. Pretty happy with their stuff!

I think they are above her budget level of £200

They should have some travel models that could do the job…
Personally, I got two pros and did not look at the others but
at least the quality is there.

Manfrotto o55

I use a Velbon which I find easy to use and easily carries the weight of all my cameras.

My suggestion is to go to a bricks-and-morter shop and try a few.

Lisa I have recently bought a Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 tripod from Wex for just such the use as you have in mind. The maximum load is 7kg. It is quite a heavy beast at 2.44kg which is what I wanted and comes with a nice fluid head. Price is well within your budget. No connection only a satisfied user.

Wow thanks for all the replies so quickly....... Keep them coming ;)

I will go and Google the tripods listed above and read up on each one.

Thought I best add abit about me as I'm a short ass lass at 5ft 1 and about 60kg - I won't be taking tripod abroad but will take with me in car and camper then walk to location so don't want a tripod that weighs a ton.

Thanks again (y)

If you are looking for something lightweight and compact, I can recommend the 3LT Vyv.
I bought one the other week, I can easily fit it into my work rucksack and can take shots on my way to work and back.

I have one, fantastic little thing.

My suggestion is to go to a bricks-and-morter shop and try a few.

This is the best advice, I have myself just brought a new tripod. My usage was different to yours but I ended up with a Manfrotto 190 xpro 3 and a 3 way head. I did do a lot of online research and I think a good ball head is recommended for moving stuff. 3 way is more suited for static item's.

+1 for the Alta Pro, Ive had Manfrotto's in the past but that baby just blew them away, the ball head supplied is the best I've ever used and the tilting mechanism to allow the extension to be placed at any angle works much better than the manfrotto's system.

I'm looking something similar size only for landscapes and as it's infrequent use I have a lower budget. Can I ask why you are looking at the RSH 12 redsanpper head? I had been considering the same tripod (rated 8kg) with the other ball head (rated 5kg) as it comes in at £30 less.

Thanks for all the replies think I'm going to get the vanguard alto pro but do prefer twist lock legs o_O
Would love there CT version with a gimbal head but that's out of my budget.

I was wanting to see one in person but all the camera shops that sell them are miles away i. e 3/4hour drive - anyone know of any within a hour or so of Shropshire? Calumet in Manchester don't sell Vanguard :(

Cheers
Lisa

I use a Feisol tournament CT-3342 which is a little bit over your budget, but it is a lovely sturdy piece of kit and remarkably light. With a manfrotto 488 ball head, it holds onto my mamiya RZ67 or my F5 +300 f2.8 (both 4Kg combos) without an issue. (there are significantly better heads but this adds to the cost) The cheaper standard series is probably just as good based on what I read. The main difference is that metal spider is machined from cast alloy rather than billet which is not quite as strong but most sub £300 tripods are cast so it's a moot point. Benro/induro seem to make some quite nice options too.

Avoid the cheaper tripods that have plastic leg clamps as, from previous experience with these, they like to snap off. Also remember that the less leg sections you have, the sturdier it will be.

I'm looking something similar size only for landscapes and as it's infrequent use I have a lower budget. Can I ask why you are looking at the RSH 12 redsanpper head? I had been considering the same tripod (rated 8kg) with the other ball head (rated 5kg) as it comes in at £30 less.

I assume you're asking me this question as I posted the link?

There's no real reason for the more expensive head, it's just it was within budget and I assume a better quality.

anyone know of any within a hour or so of Shropshire? Calumet in Manchester don't sell Vanguard :(

Premier Ink in Leamington Spa stock Vanguard tripods

No worries. It does have reversible/invert column option though, but not the ability to swing the column horizontally or at some other jaunty angle. These were originally £170 or so.

Anyway, good luck in your hunt.

Edit - Arrived today. Stone bargain. £85 for a quality carbon tripod. Actually better than I expected, good height and very solid. Grab one while you can.

Last edited:
Hey folks,

Just abit of a follow up as to what I decided regarding tripods and heads.

Firstly thank you to all that made suggestions and gave advice I really appreciate it :ty:

I had a free Saturday so decided to go to Wex photographic - not exactly local but they had the best range. Sooooo after a 418 mile round trip drive I came home with a manfrotto 190 pro3 , xpro ball head and spare plate :)

Cheers again
Lisa (y)

Well done Lisa, but a bit more than your original quoted budget though.

Almost similar to what I went for, ended up with a 3 way head instead, I also ended up over my budget once I had a handle of some.

Back