Tripod needed - Bulletproof, yet to a budget.

Messiah Khan

Santa is your dad
Name
Alasdair Fowler
Edit My Images
Yes
Im going to do my own research, but I wondered if anyone had any experience or advice regarding tripods with the following specs;

Bullet proof (Or rather, studentproof which is probably worse).
Weight doesn't matter
Maximum budget about £100-£150 (+another £100 for the head)
Must be simple to use (Again student proof)

For the head, its mainly going to be used for DV-cameras, but occasionally also for stills cameras, so im thinking a 3 way head of some sort, but again it needs to be very very durable. If something doesn't work or want to go in a certain direction, students have a tendancy of making it go, despite the cracking sound suggesting otherwise. :(

The manfrotto 055 range are built like tanks iirc. Should be possible to get one of those and a decent head for £180-£200 :)

You should be able to pick up a Manfrotto 190XBPro and 486RC2 head for £150 ish. That's what I paid for mine and very happy with it, even with a D2x and 28-70 on top.

I've got a slik DX700 pro big solid but slightly heavy at around £90 even the strongest wind won't budge this baby ;)
My one with the canon 350d and grip to show you the size MK.
1096512241_8dc5f0c6c7_o.jpg

You should be able to pick up a Manfrotto 190XBPro and 486RC2 head for £150 ish. That's what I paid for mine and very happy with it, even with a D2x and 28-70 on top.

He uses one of these for personal use, so i assumed this wasn't suitable for his work, otherwise he would of just bought one! :razz:

The manfrotto 055 range are built like tanks iirc. Should be possible to get one of those and a decent head for £180-£200 :)

Yeah, thats one im already considering. You can remove the centre column can't you?

I recently bought a t550 with a ball head from smick and it's great quality for the price, very sturdy. Would be ideal for students and at that price you could get a spare :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Superb-T550-P...oryZ3325QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I believe smick do 3 way heads aswell.
You don't live too far from me if you want to have a look at one.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks pretty decent, but im not sure if I trust something that cheap.

Ive got a 190XProB for my own personal use and although its a good tripod, im sure I could break it if I was a student. Also the reversible column would confuse some of them. I can't emphasise enough how heavy duty and simple these need to be.

Ideally id like it to be; columnless, solid stainless steel with big red buttons labeled; Open/Close etc.(y)

I've got a slik DX700 pro big solid but slightly heavy at around £90 even the strongest wind won't budge this baby ;)
My one with the canon 350d and grip to show you the size MK.
*Snip*

My god its a beast! Thanks for the suggestion. what are the tubes like? Nice and thick? Is the centre column removable?

He uses one of these for personal use, so i assumed this wasn't suitable for his work, otherwise he would of just bought one! :razz:

Beat me to it. (y)

My god its a beast! Thanks for the suggestion. what are the tubes like? Nice and thick? Is the centre column removable?

Beat me to it. (y)

Yes and you can half the center tube on mine which is handy as it cut the weight down and the legs open out in two stages so almost flat to the floor is possible. The legs are made out of Aluminum-Magnesium-Titanium-Alloy and the catches are good. here are some details for you:

SLIK Pro Series
Designed for medium format & 35mm cameras.
Constructed from Aluminum-Magnesium-Titanium-Alloy. Lever lock legs & Gearless center column.

PRO 700 DX (complete with PRO 700 DX head)

* Maximum Operating Height: 1,900 mm
* Minimum Operating Height: 620 mm
* Maximum Center Column Extension: 380 mm
* Folded Length: 760 mm
* Weight: 3,200 grams
* Number of Leg Sections: 3
* Leg Lock Type: Speed Release Lock
* Maximum Load: 6,800 grams

PRO 700 DX HEAD

* Panhead with 4 independent movements - vertical & horizontal tilts, panning by both pan head and quick shoe
* Weight: 1,000 grams
* Height: 120 mm.
* Camera Mounting Screw: U1/4
* Tripod Mounting Screw: U3/8

I'm sorry I didn't read every post ever made by the OP to find out whether they already used a tripod or not.

I'm sorry I didn't read every post ever made by the OP to find out whether they already used a tripod or not.

After reading my post again, it does come across as being rather sarcastic, my apologies as this wasn't intended!

the 055 range..
Yeah, thats one im already considering. You can remove the centre column can't you?

i just got one of these and i am very impressed with it, yes you can remove the centre column, the bottom couple of inches clips off and can be re-attached to the top of the legs for the head to be attached to effectively giving you a tripod with no column to play with. it was a very close call between this and the slik700 already mentioned ... rather unhelpfully i cant actually remember what it was that swung me to the manfrotto rather than the slik, but there wasnt much in it..

If size and weight really isn't a consideration, I'd say have a look at the Benbo 1 and 2 tripods. They'll support absolutely anything, but they do take a bit of getting used to. I have an old Benbo2 and it's a real monster, but it has lots of advantages. It erects to an enormous height - the legs are only 2 sections and the bottom sections are sealed so you can stand them in water.

The biggest advantage is it's very easy and safe to adjust the height up or down one leg at a time, even with heavy gear mounted.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24118&highlight=amvona

Try this thread. I bought this and it is oustanding. Amvona has an ebay shop and you can pick stuff up dirt cheap.

The shipping has increased in price but you will be able to get the tripod you want with a head and still be in massive profit.

I have orerdered a new back pack from them this week.

Its a pro level for 2 bodies and various lenses for £60 including postage. Its lowepro equivelant is worth at least treble. I will do a review when it arrives.

Give Amvona a go.

Manfrotto 055ProXB is the way to go on the legs (IRO £140) and take a look at the 322RC head (IRO £80) - all the manovability of the Ball and Socket but much easier to use.

I have this set up and fully recommend it (also seems like a common setup from what I've seen on here). However, I only use this for Stills, don't know what it would be like for Video, but it might be better than a three way as motion is controlable in all directions at once with one control.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=24118&highlight=amvona

Try this thread. I bought this and it is oustanding. Amvona has an ebay shop and you can pick stuff up dirt cheap.

The shipping has increased in price but you will be able to get the tripod you want with a head and still be in massive profit.

I have orerdered a new back pack from them this week.

Its a pro level for 2 bodies and various lenses for £60 including postage. Its lowepro equivelant is worth at least treble. I will do a review when it arrives.

Give Amvona a go.

The tripod legs that you ordered from Amvona are exactly the same as the T550 ones from smick I have :) see my earlier post. Only 50 off ebay with head.

I have the Manfrotto Neotec 458B. Very solid and no levers so very quick to erect. Got it for £180 from Amazon.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I think im heavily leaning towards the slik DX700. Just need to decide on a head now. Its mainly going to be used for DV cameras, but should also work with stills cameras so some sort of three way or fluid head would be best I think. Any suggestions? Again it needs to be bullet proof and very simple to use.

Back