Tripod recommendation

Name
Vishal
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Morning All,

I shoot mainly Asian weddings and am looking into investing in a good tripod which will come in handy when doing group shots....and also, obviously be handy to have for other bits and pieces :)

Problem is that there are so many on the market, I don't know what to go for :(

My kit consists of a D750 with grip, usually attached with a 24-70, but would be handy if it could handle the 70-200 too.....

My MAX budget would be £150-200 including a head....

Not sure whether to go for ball or pan head.....

I've looked at reviews and 'the best tripods' etc....but this has made me even more confused :(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

My kit consists of a D750 with grip, usually attached with a 24-70, but would be handy if it could handle the 70-200 too.....

Your problem is not the choice for sure but remember
that those with many different tripods are mostly happy
with none!

In studio, I have 2 of the same since 27 years and for lo-
cation, 3 of the same since 5 years. The later are sturdy
and light CF I use for everywhere from wildlife to architec-
ture to everything in between.

For your on-location work, I could recommend the Feisol
system and quality… keep in mind that the fewer leg
set-
mets, the more stable the tripod will be.

Many, many choices. I think my personal choice at that budget would be a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod with a 498RC2 head. Heavier than JJ!'s suggestion, but I would have thought more sturdy, particularly using a gripped body and 70-200.

At that budget I'd probably look for used on the auction sites. A decent Gitzo would be a good choice.
True enough, but you'd really want a 2 series model and I don't think you'd get one within Vishal's budget [and a head too].

Thanks for the replies to
Many, many choices. I think my personal choice at that budget would be a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod with a 498RC2 head. Heavier than JJ!'s suggestion, but I would have thought more sturdy, particularly using a gripped body and 70-200.

Looks like the XPROB is discontinued?

Has it been replaced by the MT190XPRO4?

True enough, but you'd really want a 2 series model and I don't think you'd get one within Vishal's budget [and a head too].

True if you're going for a carbon Gitzo but the older aluminium or basalt ones will work just as well. They're a tad heavier to carry but that's not really a problem at weddings.

You can't tell me that without giving me a model number! :D

Oops sorry

Redsnapper RSF 284M 4 section Alloy Tripod £69.95

Redsnapper RSH 12 Ballhead £59.95
Redsnapper RSH 528 3 way Panning Head £14.95

Total £144.85

You could go for a 3 section instead if you think stability an issue - I went for 4 as I could get lower than with 3

Last edited:
So for general photography is a ball head better than pan?

If you're using it for weddings weight isn't so much of a problem.

I have a Manfrotto 055CL in aluminium I'm not using.
Pan head too (something RC2).

I don't want too much for it and it's solid as a rock.

If you're interested I'll put it up in classifieds tonight.

Terry.

After shooting 450+ weddings professionally, I'm wondering what advantage you think a tripod will give you. And will that advantage really be worth the hassle of carting one around, the risk of somebody tripping over it, and the risk of somebody walking off with it?

After shooting 450+ weddings professionally, I'm wondering what advantage you think a tripod will give you. And will that advantage really be worth the hassle of carting one around, the risk of somebody tripping over it, and the risk of somebody walking off with it?

It wont be used throughout the wedding at all, just for the group shots.....Would give me a more consistent shot going from one to the next.....and saves me framing it everytime..... sometimes shooting 20+ groups can get a bit tedious :eek:

For your on-location work, I could recommend the Feisol
system and quality… keep in mind that the fewer leg
set-
mets, the more stable the tripod will be.

Totally agree with Kodiac.
I use a Feisol ct-3471 for location work with an Arca-Swiss Monoball P0 head. Not the cheapest by any means, but sturdy and stable enough for most any camera/lens combination up to 20kg.

If you change your mind it'll be advertised tonight on the board for £60 including the pan and tilt head. (head is missing the circular spirit level and the up & down threaded arm is ever so slightly bent - has no effect in use though).

Holds 5 kg I think.

Back