Tripod without centre column

Name
Jamesev
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone know of a good tripod that doesn't have a centre column. Primarily for landscape photography where the legs might need to be splayed out for low level shooting. Tripods with centre columns (whilst the centre column with hooks for hanging weighs for stabilisation are good) end up just getting in the way. I know Gitzo do the Systematic series but these tend to be on the pricier end of the market.

Other criteria are carbon fibre, light-ish, twist lock legs.

Some centre columns can be shortened to allow the legs to be splayed very wide, others can have the column mounted horizontally to achieve the same result.

Some Manfrottos have a centre column but the legs can be splayed as the centre column can be moved to a 'horizontal' position.

Quite often the centre column can be removed to enable close to ground positions.
FLM definitely do, become to all intents and purposes a systematic style tripod

I have a Rollei Allrounder Carbon tripod in black that has a centre column that is reversible and also has a short centre column that allows the legs to spread closer to the ground.

It's almost new only been out twice and I was thinking of selling it as I have too much stuff. Let me know what you think.

Bumf from Rollei

The Sirui AM-284 looks like a suitable choice at a sensible price. I use a Sirui ET-2204 and am very pleased with it.

I have a Sirui carbon fibre tripod (can't remember the model!) with centre column, which can be split into two unequal lengths. I'm fairly sure it can be configured for use without a protruding centre column too, plus the column can be inverted to suspend the camera upside down for ground level shots. So do have a look at such options with different tripods, as these days they tend to be something like a Swiss Army Knife, with lots of different configurations. Just because it has a centre column doesn't always mean it's stuck with that all the time.

Short columns that reduce them to effectively zero are available for other gitzo models - I recently got one myself. But a DIY option of cutting down a centre column and replacing the end should be simple enough on most tripods I would have thought.

For that use I would get a smaller tripod. I use the RRS TP-243 but Sunwayfoto's T1A20 is nearly identical and can be bought for ~ 1/4 the price. Or the T1C30 can support the same load and it's lighter.

I have recently got a Leofoto LS-324, there’s also others depending on the height/weight you’re willing to compromise on. LS-284, LS-254. Or there are larger versions than the LS-324. The LS-365 or LS-325. I did want the 325 for more height but was concerned about flex in the legs/joints. However the 324 seems to have none so I wouldn’t be concerned about that.

I am impressed with the 324, build quality seems very good. Folds down compact (diameter/footprint) in comparison to a Manfrotto Befree “Travel Tripod”.

There is a separate centre column included with kits if you need an extra 20-30cm. I purchased legs only so didn’t get one. I wanted the smaller ball head instead of the LH-40 that comes with the 324. But I will pick up a centre column, won’t take up much room in a bag.

Some tripods can be used with the centre column underneath with the camera upside down.

Back