Tripod

What sort of budget have you got?

At the moment I'm using a cheapo Hama I think it is. It just about does the job but it's not great.

Am looking quite seriously at a brand called Feisol, carbon fibre, very competitive pricing and seems to get reviewed well.

Whatever you do avoid something which is too cheap and looks like it will be easy to carry around. Light flimsy tripods just don't hack it. In the slightest breeze they dither around and are plain useless.

I have two good tripods, a Manfrotto professional which I've had about 20 years,it's great for a plonk it down and photograph weddings job. It's useless though for getting the camera down for a low viewpoint shot. My other tripod is a fiull size Benbo tripod which is awesomely adaptable, but it's heavy - over 9lbs and a pain to hump around.

I'd look for something with an offset centre column which can be rotated through 180 degrees or more. Carbon fibre gives good weight savings while maintaining rigidity, but it's not cheap. Tripods are the things people resent spending a lot on which is a mistake. If you get it right, you'll only ever have to buy one unless you're a d******d like me. :wink:

Thanks for the input guys, price isn't really an issue :eek:ops: I only want to buy one in my lifetime, hopefully I'll get it right the first time. I will take my time and research what will fit my needs. I am not the type to hike it around or anything like that. Just walk from my car and plop it down,lol. I eventually want to get a macro lens. I just can't seem to get close enough for what I like to do. I seem to shoot mostly people and flowers. I like macro insects too, I would like to get into doing that kinda thing as well, as soon as I get me a good lens as well! Again thanks,
jewel. :D

Jewel,
i seem to be responding to all ur threads,
i'm not stalking u .......honest, lol

on the Macro side of things, Nikon make a No 6T close-up attachment , its 62mm and gives great closeups of 1:1 , they are not cheap tho, new they are around the £140 UK mark, used from ebay around £50 UK, i have one and its well worth it, as it just screws onto your existing 62mm lens just like a filter would,

it saves having to fork out on a dedicated macro lens, and also saves carrying it around all the time,
that said, you do get more control from a genuine macro lens
hope this helps

MP

I bought a Velbon 250 sherpa a little while back: http://www.intro2020.co.uk/pages/velbon6.htm from my local camera shop - at £67 is was cheaper than, for example, Warehouse Express etc.

I'm pleased with it and it's very sturdy /strikes manly pose \o>

Edit: it seems that Warehouse Express is having a bit of sale on selected carbon-fibre tripods - might be worth a look

Blimey ! this is something i ought to investigate ! i have an old manky tripod thats about 20 yrs old ! LOL

When i got it, you couldnt replace the head ! now theres different types of them as well !

eeek !

Back