Tripods and airline travel

Edit My Images
Yes
While most airlines seem to be fine with people traveling with a tripod its sometimes unclear what is allowed and not in terms of size and allowances.

So I recently went on a hunt for a smaller tripod based on some figures (<54cm) I had heard here and there. But it seems my tripod is actually within the limits of easyJet (http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/baggage/restricted-and-unusual-items#) which allows “63cms x 27cms x 28cms”. But some other airlines are not so forthcoming. Even easyJet does not specify if its fine to have the tripod strapped to my bag or if I need to pack it more neatly in a bag etc.

I am guessing there aren’t “standard” rules for this and it probably varies from airline to airline. So wondering what people’s experiences are. Also any links to other airlines you may have checked with proper specs and guidelines would be very helpful.

I flew Virgin Atlantic to the USA and back with my 3 Legged thing (Corey) strapped to the outside of my rucksack in plain view and no one questioned it, no even the TSA!!! Also flying internal did not cause any issues

Don't think I would get away with the same on Ryanair or the likes.

Took my Manfrotto Befree strapped to my rucksack on BA to Berlin, no problems either end.
Usually goes in my carry on case, but had rather a lot in there on that trip.

I have always put it in my hold luggage. But this time since we have a child, and we decided to go with one hold luggage (since one of us will be busy pushing the child).
I can put the tripod in the hold luggage but since we have only one and now one extra small person, we can't fit as many things.

you just cant win with a child and a cheap airline in the mix :p

Last edited:
This is a basic airline luggage allowance question - the tripod is simply part of that.

Always check luggage allowance, size and weight, with the actual airline - it's always clearly listed. Also have a look at one of the various comparison websites like this one that lists all popular airlines:
https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabin-luggage-guide-hand-baggage-sizes-and-weight-restrictions

As you will see, most airlines are similar but they're not all the same and there can be big differences. That's your entitlement and be wary of anecdotal accounts of how this or that airline allowed someone to stow a supermarket trolley under the seat. They may or they may not - it depends a lot on how full the flight is, or the type of aircraft, maybe your class of ticket and whether the check-in staff liked the cut of your jib. Be prepared to have any excess baggage put in the hold.

This is a basic airline luggage allowance question - the tripod is simply part of that.

This is also security question.

I wouldn't carry an expensive tripod through security. There's a risk that it won't be allowed through. If at your point of departure then with enough time you can go back and check it in. If you are connecting airside at a hub things -particularly on a short connection - it may come down to difficult situation and a hard decision.

Just flew with Easyjet to Venice, took my camera gear including tripod as hand luggage - no problem. For convenience I put the rucksack into a standard carry on case which made things easier for packing the little bits, battery chargers etc; also the luggage looks like hundreds of others and not a camera bag with lots of nice goodies.

Its the airport security checks that you need to be wary of, a friend of mine had a tripod confiscated at security.

I always check mine into the hold in the suitcase wrapped in clothes
No need to try to carry it on
I always have cameras and lenses in carry on though

Back