Tripods - how do you carry yours?

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering how people on here carry there tripods? In a tripod holder on there bag or in a seperate tripod bag over the shoulder?

Looking to buy a new back pack and trying to decide if I need a tripod holder built in as my tripod came with its own carry bag.

Normally strapped to my bag, but sometimes I'll just carry it by hand if i know it will be used a lot in a short space of time, I sling it over my shoulder with the camera still attached.

Either in its bag with the shoulder strap or loose over my shoulder.

I've got a Manfrotto carry strap thing that came with it, bit of a PITA to get it in and out of though.

Before I got that I used a guitar strap and some carabinas.

Just normally carry mine as in Guernsey nowhere is really far lol

I'm not a regular tripod user, but when I do use one, carrying it is very much dependant on what I'm using it for.

I have a tripod strap, which I rarely use, I can strap it onto my backpack, but it makes the backpack less useful.

I usually keep it in my stand bag, with my light stands and reflectors. And when I'm using it I carry it in my hand or over my shoulder with the camera or lens attached.

either in an old tent bag or by using an old set of binocular straps (under the head and around the feet.
If I am very lucky the wife will carry my tripod for me

I have a back pack with the built in tripod holder on the front (Lowepro) that just folds down and has bungee cords to hold it in place....I carry a tripod a lot and for myself personally I find it great.

Depends how big it is, some of the longer three section ones would be a bit big to carry on a bag.

I take the head off when attaching it to the rucksack, sits better not being so top heavy

Also got an Optech shoulder strap for when I take the larger one although it just about goes on the bag

I have a Think Tank Streetwalker backpack with an integral tripod pouch and strap on it. I find it's good to have both hands free when clambering over rocks and the like.

Cheers for the views. I am not a regular tripod user too so think carrying it in it's own bag will probably be ok for me. My tripod when folded is about 50cm. I have tried it on my current back pack (Lowepro Primus AW) and previous bag (Lowepro Flipside 300) but found it a bit uncomfortable at times as it feels like it makes the bag unstable to carry and more likely to swing around.

Think I will stick to carrying it in it's own sling bag.

I use a tripod bag - manfrotto perfect for long hikes. When I'm actually using it alot i carry it by one leg otherwise it's a pain getting it in and out of the bag

Err - in the spare room as a clothes hanger / towel draper. I bought a good tripod - tried it once and realised that it's not something I will use for now anyway.

BUT - I have seen a few hardened landscapers carry them attached to backpacks, best was a guy who just used a couple of bungy cords around the pack and tripod - said it covered two purposes, one to hold the tripod safe and the other to keep the pack closed as he had a habit of forgetting to zip it up tight. End of the day - try a few options and go with the one that is easiest and most comfortable for you

.DAVID.

If using your backpack use a sling and hang the tripod diagonally across your chest. Just a bit of lateral thinking - I haven't tried it myself :)

Started to use mine abit more, iam always worried about carrying it over my shoulder with the camera attached tho :eek:

My redsnapper has a bag, but its a pain if iam honest. When your at the beach finding a dry/safe spot to put your gear down can be a pain. Plus you can't fit the whole redsnapper tripod in the supplied bag without taking an arm/handle off :thumbsdown:

Maybe I will make a strap of some sort for it someday...

I use a Redsnapper RS 324 alloy tripod and the RSH 24 head and either use the bag for both or carry it extended over my shoulder; the padding on the tripod is fairly comfortable for a short time over easy ground. It would be different if the ground was rough.

Dave

Either stuffed through the adjustable straps on my shoulder bag, or over my shoulder.

P2210185.JPG

I don't carry my Redsnapper far, it's too heavy for roaming around all day. My Gitzo 1542T with a Redsnapper RSH-61 ballhead is half the weight and I carry it under the flap of my ThinkTank Retro 10. If I'm carrying a body with a 70-200 2.8 attached with maybe TCs and a lens or two I use a Kata 3N1-30 with the dedicated tripod carrier, which will take either of my tripods.

tripods.jpg

I've got a bag that has straps on the bottom front edge to strap the tripod on. As the bag is big and heavy I use a trolley most of the time, if I take everything with me, so the trolley carries my tripod too.

Just thrown over my shoulder (like you would with a fence post). I'll keep a grip of the camera strap just incase it separates from the head.

If I was going major distances in the wilds I'd probably transfer my gear to my larger rucksack. My LowePro Sling 102 (with 7d, 10-22 & 17-55) fits inside my Lowe Alpine 65ltr which is robust enough to take the tripod and outdoor gear for inclement weather.

Sometimes I'll just pull the center column with head still attached from the 055xProB and transport it and the legs seperately to balance the weight and fit it all inside. Once near the location I'll revert to the first method.

I use a tripod pretty much all the time.

Just throw it over my shoulder with a 600mm f4 & a 1Dmk iv attached to it

Looks like over the shoulder is the way to go then or in it's own bag. I am not a big tripod user like it appears most on here and I am not likely to be trekking for miles with it just incase I want to use it. More likely to take it if I know I will use it.

My redsnapper has a bag, but its a pain if iam honest. When your at the beach finding a dry/safe spot to put your gear down can be a pain. Plus you can't fit the whole redsnapper tripod in the supplied bag without taking an arm/handle off :thumbsdown:

I have a Redsnapper and have the same problem I have to remove one of the arms from the 3 way head to get it back into the back. Am wondering if a ball head would be better.

I use a tripod most of the time, I use a rucksack style bag and rarely bother with the straps, and I certainly can't be bothered with a tripod bag.

I tuck one leg (the tripods not mine ;)) behind the waist strap of the rucksack. Works a treat!

Walking to where I'm likely to use it, it gets strapped onto my LowePro rucksack using the attachment points and pocket provided. Wandering around between shots, over the shoulder with the camera demounted. In the car, in its bag (the Manfrotto bags I have hold a 190 tripod and any of the heads I've tried in them - a 322, 410 and 402).

Strapped to my bag although i never gave it much thought when i was deciding what backpack to buy. Now it would definitely be on the must have list!

I haven't read many replies so don't know if you have answered your question or not.

But personally both my tripods will get attached to the front of a Flipside 500AW and feels quite comfy to carry even with all the weight.

My backpack has a tripod fitment so that's where it goes when walking to/from a location. Once I've started shooting then the camera/lens stay on the tripod which I carry slung over one shoulder.

If I'm not walking far I just carry it in one hand or if the camera is attached over my shoulder. If I'm walking a ways, then I strap it to the top of my rucksack.

I'm also looking into this, as none of my current bags can take a tripod, thinking to get a new backpack or just use the tripod carrying case. Backpack will be more comfortable to carry spreading the weight.

3leggedthing tripods come with a bag, the strap on it is not very comfortable, but the bag is awesome: padded, fits perfectly and can store extra filters and tripod tools.

Currently I'm just holding the tripod in my hand, the bag adds quite a bit of bulk. Can get annoying and not suitable when touring a city. I can also hook a leg through my TT Retrospective side strap, but with all the gears and the tripod, it becomes too heavy for 1 shoulder.

I bought a lowepro bag specifically with a tripod holder (Flipside 200), but it just feels awkward to use with the weight of the tripod swinging about on the back, so i bought a cheapo tripod sling off of eBay and found that much easier to use

The tripod did come with a bag but again it's just a pain getting it in/out all the time

rpsmith79 said:
I bought a lowepro bag specifically with a tripod holder (Flipside 200), but it just feels awkward to use with the weight of the tripod swinging about on the back, so i bought a cheapo tripod sling off of eBay and found that much easier to use

The tripod did come with a bag but again it's just a pain getting it in/out all the time

Can you post the link to the swing please?

I need to get something like that for mine, since my new bag has no suitable tripod strap. I tend to carry my camera on the tripod over my shoulder when I'm wandering around though so it's probably of little relevance!

Think I am going to aim to get a strap instead of fussing about with the tripod bag.

i usually slip mine under the flap at the base of the backpack then clip the flap down. usually holds it tight you just have a bit sticking out left and right side so you have to watch poking people in crowded spaces.

With a back pack camera bag I find it easier just to carry the tripod, even walking for a distance. Once I get to a destination I will usually keep camera attached to tripod,

Back