Beginner Tripods - Why Twist Lock and not Lever Lock?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
All my 'old' tripods have a lever lock mechanism on the extending legs. It seem that more 'modern' tripods utilise a twist lock.

I'm just curious as to why the change? What are the pros & cons?

Thanks

Manfrotto still use lever locks. I use Manfrotto. Can't get my head round twist locks. Never remember which way to turn them and there is no immediate visual assurance that they are tight.
Others will disagree. This is a bit like the Canon/Nikon argument.

Thanks for the replies all,

I was wondering if there was some ground-breaking advantage :) :)

Never managed to jam my fingers in a lever lock. I have seen twist locks play up though, they seem more prone to "slipping" or not tightening than lever locks.

i bought a 2nd hand manfrotto tripod and it has twist locks and it was the bane of my trip when i used it - it may have just been this tripod but i was never sure it was tight enough so it was always sagging and generally just being annoying. lots of swearing, esp with cold or wet hands, i ended up with split thumb/fingers from all the retighting - i much prefer level locks! its on or it's off - sorted!

The beauty of twist locks it that you can undo all locks when closed in one action, pull of the leg to sufficient length then tighten the twist locks individually. If you have a 4 or 5 section tripod this is quite fast.

So far I've only used twist locks on a gitzo, that tripod is made very well and excellent quality. No thoughts or worries the twist locks aren't tight enough or could slip. I've had nearly 6kg of camera/lens/tripod head on it without any problems.

Twist locks pack in camera bags and don't snag on straps etc.
Much quicker in use as well as all twist locks can be released in one go on a leg section or when packing away tightened in one go.
Take up less space as well.

Benro usually do the xsame tripod in flip or twist. Twist is lighter but more expensive usually. I have no preference, I find both just as much faff as each other.

I used to use Manfrotto lever tripods, hated the levers.

With the twist mechanism on my Gitzos one part turn and you can unlock all sections at the same time, no effort needed to lock. I can't imagine anyone would use the levers if they'd used the twist lock unless they are paranoid the twist locks haven't locked, lol

Lever is a one-handed lock, the only twist I ever (briefly) had use of took two hands as I recall

I much prefer lever, but as has been said its seems to be more of a personal choice than any real benefit either way

Dave

No idea what what you were using but you don't need 2 hands and as I mentioned above you can unlock multiple sections with one hand in about a second. It's much quicker than any lever system.

No idea what what you were using but you don't need 2 hands and as I mentioned above you can unlock multiple sections with one hand in about a second. It's much quicker than any lever system.

It was a big and very heavy Gitzo from many years ago, maybe it was a bit old and sticking - I bow to your better twisty knowledge here bud :)

My Manfrotto is just a flick of the thumb per level so hardly slow, not that speed has ever really been an issue if using a tripod :)

Dave

You can unlock levers one handed aswell just tried it on my Manfrotto 055 and Giottos monopod.

I've got twist locks on my cheap carbon tripod and Leki walking poles and they slower and less foolproof than levers.

Last edited:
I have both. twist locks for compact lightweight everyday use, levers for blustery weather. but its a personal choice. However I don't agree that one is quicker or easier than the other but if you trap a finger in a lever, you're definitely doing the most basic function wrong.

I don't care - I have tripods with both styles - as long as they lock I'm happy.

I have a slight preference for twist locks - less protusions on the tripod and I don't have to worry about tightening them with an allen key. But I find levers slightly faster to use. But if I was after a new tripod I'd be more bothered about other characteristics.

Reactions: Nod
Much prefer twist locks here, and I've owned both.

One hand, grab all 3 locks on one leg, 1/8th or 1/4 turn max and extend the leg.

Less maintenance over time too.

Prefer twist locks except for when they get sand in them.. then it’s a nightmare until you have time to strip them all down.

Thanks for the replies all,

I was wondering if there was some ground-breaking advantage :) :)

Yes there is. Assuming a tripod/mono pod of decent quality then twist locks lock much more securely and with more rigidity (though this may be down to the better quality tripods that use Twist locks).

I have had tripods with flip locks (Manfrotto 190 + 055) and will not be considering them again.

Just my experiences.

I have tripods with both types - well-designed levers are easier and faster for me to use, but poorly made ones can be a bit glitch and are similarly awkward to twist types.

I use both types and have no particular preference. I have forgotten to tighten a twist lock once but it sagged before I put the camera on it. Lever locks are pretty obvious when they're not done up.

I'm in the have both camp. Could make arguments for and against either option. Don't think it's that big a deal.

Lever Locks on my old Manfrotto 190, and current 055 - simple, reliable, never had a problem with them.

Twist locks on my cheap Red-Snapa monopod, and my Chinese CF travel tripod - always seemed a bit more fiddly.

I suspect this is a case of personal preference, but also my experience with twist locks has been at the lower end of the market - I suspect the locks on a Gitzo are of a somewhat superior quality to those I've used, and will be correspondingly better to use.

Lever locks in my opinion gather all sorts of debris on my travels. Sand,grass,leaves. A long as they are cleaned after every trip its not a problem.

Over the years have had twist locks and screw locks even pin locks, but much prefer lever locks. can level up a pano head in seconds using them. twist locks ate a fiddle.
it is also much easier to collapse a tripod with levers , just turn it upside down flip all the levers and it folds itself.

Twist locks have fewer parts and are easier to make, but have to be made with much more precision.
better lever locks like on the manfrotto ones can have the tension adjusted. and I have never known one slip.

Last edited:
Seems that it's all down to personal preference :) Stick with what works for you and 'don't fix what's not broke'.

Thanks all.

Agree with Terry - lever locks are much easier for height adjustments and leveling, and that's why I prefer them, but you need to check the tension now and then. Against that, levers tend to catch on things, like undergrowth and doorways, and they can snap closed with a noisy clack (can be avoided if you're careful). Manfrotto's new QPL Quick Power Locks are a backward step IMHO.

Twist-collars are more compact, more robust, and automatically adjustable for tension and wear.

Six of one, half dozen of the other really.

My Manfrotto is just a flick of the thumb per level so hardly slow, not that speed has ever really been an issue if using a tripod :)

Dave

....Speed of adjusting and using a tripod is ALWAYS an issue when shooting wildlife action.

Gitzo and Manfrotto (and Lowepro) are owned by the same company. Think of Gitzo as BMW and Manfrotto as Ford equivalents < Both are good but one is better than the other, both in terms of design and manufacture. I have owned Manfrotto but now own and prefer all my Gitzo products.

You get used to whichever leg lock you have but I personally find that Gitzo twists have an edge and so I prefer twists.

Last edited:
it is also much easier to collapse a tripod with levers , just turn it upside down flip all the levers and it folds itself.

....I would love to see you turn it upside down with a gimbal head and supertelephoto lens and full-size D-SLR body mounted! But to be fair, I understand your point if you only have a small camera combo mounted, although I still wouldn't turn it upside down personally with anything mounted.

Must be cheaper to make twist locks because all the far east clones have them.

I prefer the twist type, find them much easier to use gripping with whole hand rather than fingers especially when wearing gloves.

....Speed of adjusting and using a tripod is ALWAYS an issue when shooting wildlife action.

Interesting - you can tell I don't shoot wildlife then :)

Thanks for your post this may help the OP too - and others - as its not something I've ever come across or obviously considered (y)

Dave

....I would love to see you turn it upside down with a gimbal head and supertelephoto lens and full-size D-SLR body mounted! But to be fair, I understand your point if you only have a small camera combo mounted, although I still wouldn't turn it upside down personally with anything mounted.

I never fold a tripod with a camera mounted on it. Nor have I ever done so. It only takes a second or so to demount a camera with QR. Then I was brought up using large format and heavy tripods.

I have a Sirui tripod that I use with my cameras that has twist locks and Velbon tripods with lever lock clamps that I use for camcorders, to be honest I don't mind using either but, depending on the design, the twist locks may be less likely to snag on anything when moving the tripod around, and twist lock type tripods are probably going to be easier to slide back into carrying bags. I suppose it comes down to personal preference in the end.

I must be a very lucky chappie, in 73 years of using tripods I hve never had a leg lock snag on anything yet. But give me time☺

I must be a very lucky chappie, in 73 years of using tripods I hve never had a leg lock snag on anything yet. But give me time☺
You probably don't have to pitch your tripods in bramble infested places as often as I do... the familiar call of 'Gerrrofff' can often be heard when I'm packing away in the dark! :facepalm:

Back