Tripods

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,

there are so many tripods out on the market and it is really confusing me! I gather Manfrotto are a pretty safe bet but apart from that i really don't know where to continue. I'm not looking for anything spectacular just something to get me started but still provide good quality. I see red snapper advertising here so does anyone have any feedback on their gear? THey are a good deal cheeper so if they do the job well i will most likely go for them.

Basically there are 2 manfrotto tripods you should be looking at.

Manfrotto 055X
Manfrotto 190X

If you need a horizontal centre column for macro shots etc. then get the PRO versions

Manfrotto 055XPROB
Manfrotto 190XPROB

And if you got money to burn and want a lighter setup with horizontal column then get the carbon fibre tripods

Manfrotto 055CXPRO4
Manfrotto 190CXPRO4

Concise and to the point there tc4 and spot on. The only thing I would add is that the 055 is heavier than the 190 if that is a consideration. I have the 190xprob and it is fine with my 50d and grip with fairly heavy glass attached so it is more than heavy enough for your 500d Stoosh. Think about max height as well i.e. how tall are you ? Unless you are very tall the 190 should do but the 055 does go a little higher. I,m 5'7" so it doesnt matter to me :LOL: Next thing to consider is the head, some prefer a ball head but for most situations the 804rc2 is sufficient and like all Manfrotto products it is well made rugged enough.

Dont dismiss the Giottos 9351B Pro + MH5001 head though this is on a par with the 190xprob and 804rc2.
5 year warranty as well.

http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&cat=49130e801a374&product=49185f7ddd445

http://www.giottos-tripods.co.uk/index.php?page=productpage&cat=49130e8d88135&product=4918489f26044

Last edited:
Last edited:
I did a lot of investigating into tripods and came to the conclusion that it is worth investing in a good one. It's likely to be with you for the next 5, 10, 20 years, unlike the rest of your photography equipment like bodies and lenses that you may well upgrade as new versions are released.

Personally I wanted a tripod that wouldn't inhibit me using it whenever I wanted. it needed to be sturdy to hold my camera and a reasonaby weighty lens but be light enough to mean it's not a big decision to choose to carry it. Finding one that does both is a challenge so I did a proper comparison on another forum. please read through my story here I hope you find it useful.

Think about max height as well i.e. how tall are you ? Unless you are very tall the 190 should do

Hmm, I'd say that the 190 is OK if you're not at all tall. Anything over 5' 10" and I'd say the 190 will be too short.

How many times do you want to buy a tripod in your lifetime? Buy a cheap tripod now and you'll buy another in a year - and maybe another a year or so after that. Spend sensible money and buy 'proper' tripod now - why do you think some tripods cost £400+ - becuae they last a lifetime - and do the job!

How many times do you want to buy a tripod in your lifetime? Buy a cheap tripod now and you'll buy another in a year - and maybe another a year or so after that.

+1!

As I mentioned above, I did a lot of reading both on the subject and on available tripods and came to this conclusion: you either spend £80 this year, £120 in two years, £200 the next year - net result is £400 spent, with only £200 of quality tripod.

I've already been through this journey so please read my experience here:
http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?p=414140

One of the best sources I used was this:
http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

Heed awp and my advice. Buy a decent tripod. If you decide to sell it will have kept a lot of it's value and means you're never hankering after a better (perfect) tripod.

Thanks for all the help so far, it certainly makes an interesting read, especialy Trickys previous posts :). I'll be off to California later in the year so a travel tripod is deffinately a plus.

I'm 6ft1 but stooping a bit wouldn't be a problem!

Doesn't seem that the redsnapper debate really took off and that the general consensus is to stick with the tried and tested brands.

Does that change anyones recommendations?

Does that change anyones recommendations?

The problem with recommendations is people typically have only experienced a few tripods and generally will recommend the one they have. Anyone can reel off various benefits of theirs but my advice is do plenty of quantitative research online, specifically the basics:

a) weight of tripod
b) maximum height of tripod
c) minimum height of tripod (some can get very low by the centre column being removable and this is quite useful)
d) length when collapsed
e) price

Put all of these in a table and then choose a shortlist:

1) the one that if money was no object you'd get
2) the one that's simliar in design but 20% cheaper for not being a "big brand"
3) the one that's a wildcard - a bit shorter/taller than the others but also a bit lighter/heavier
4) another alternative

Then order the top 2, 3 or maybe even 4 of the top shortlist tripods and compare them in the flesh in your own front room. Testing in a shop isn't possible in my opinion. It will cost you an extra £5-10 to return each "extra" tripod, but again it seems worthwhile to make sure you don't change you're mind when you play with a mates tripod in 6 months time.

Hmm, I'd say that the 190 is OK if you're not at all tall. Anything over 5' 10" and I'd say the 190 will be too short.

I'm 6'2" (in thick socks) and the 190XPROB is not too short for me. I've never really understood this you-need-a-tall-tripod thing. I have never found myself thinking, "You know what, another couple of inches above the ground would really improve the composition of this shot". I might use the legs on full extension for 20% or less of shots, it's more important to me taht it lets me get the camera very low to the ground, but what's important for me (or anyone else) in a piece of kit is probably not directly relevant to the OP.

It's all horses for courses, once size doesn't fit all.. and the application is more important than the users height in most circumstances. And you'll very likely find that you'll need more than one tripod anyway - unless you only ever do one type of photography and you always do it in the same few places.

Buy the best you can afford, do not buy a cheap one to get you going (like I did), you will only regret it.

I bought a £39 Velbon and it was well...... OK i suppose, but i felt as if i didn't trust it with my cam and lens on it. Off it went to fleabay and I now have a Manfrotto 190XPROB LINKY and I teamed it up with a Giottos Ball head.

I'm now very happy and really trust the tripod with my cam on it.

Back