Tripods

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Just acquired a tripod complete with canvas carry bag, can anyone tell me if I am allowed to carry it on as hand luggage or does it have to go in the hold with the rest of the luggage? (easyjet)

Many thanks

Last edited:
Easyjet are strict about sizes of hand baggage so make sure the tripod in its bag is under the size limit. Check with airport security at both ends as to their rules on tripods as hand baggage too. When I take a tripod, it gets packed in the hold luggage - don't want it to be confiscated at security (it's an expensive CF one so I want to keep it!)

Ditto the above. Recently travelled to Amshterdam and Berlin. KLM and British Airways, neither would allow the tripod as carry on - metal poles big no no (I had a small roller banner which had to be checked also due to the metal/plastic supporting poles).

No metal pole but you're allowed knives? Good priorities.

Also what about carbon fibre then?

No metal pole but you're allowed knives? Good priorities.

Also what about carbon fibre then?
What you meant to say was "No metal poles and you're not allowed knives either?"

Here's what BA say isn't allowed in hand luggage:
Sharp, bladed or blunt instruments which are capable of being used to cause serious injury are not permitted in hand/cabin baggage. This includes loose razor blades, knives and scissors with blades of more than 6cm, drills, screwdrivers, chisels, saws, clubs, bats and bars.
Other airlines are probably very similar. Note that the list of specific items isn't intended to be comprehensive. If you have a knife with a blade shorter than 6cm, you *might* be allowed to carry it on if you can persuade the airline staff that it cannot be used to cause serious injury, but personally I wouldn't want to bet on that. Ditto tripods, whatever they're made of.

It's just common sense.

Last edited:
I went to Kenya last year with BA - my tripod ,in its carry case went in the cargo hold :shrug:

Les (y)

Just been to Hannover with flybe, put mine in the hold, but could have taken it into the cabin.
Would nt gamble a decent pod.

steve

What you meant to say was "No metal poles and you're not allowed knives either?"

Here's what BA say isn't allowed in hand luggage:

Other airlines are probably very similar. Note that the list of specific items isn't intended to be comprehensive. If you have a knife with a blade shorter than 6cm, you *might* be allowed to carry it on if you can persuade the airline staff that it cannot be used to cause serious injury, but personally I wouldn't want to bet on that. Ditto tripods, whatever they're made of.

It's just common sense.

Oh understandable, I presumed it was just any under 6cm, didn't really look into it as I don't plan on brandishing knives when flying haha.

Back