Beginner Tropical Butterfly House Sheffield

A lovely vivid set there, the parrot shot is my favorite of the set.(y)

Thanks! It was my first time using my DSLR for zoo animal pictures (only had it a few weeks) so I'm still a bit slow with the controls and missing shots. Also had trouble getting close enough with the 18-55 lens. I have a longer lens now, and have been practicing more so hoping to get more interesting pictures next time.

That's the place, yeah. It's not as big as the Yorkshire Wildlife Park, say, but you can get quite close to a lot of the animals. If you've not been for a while, it's probably bigger than you remember as they've added a fair bit in the last few years. They've got a few wallabies in a walkthrough bit that just opened (one has a baby at the moment that's just starting to wander around on its own). Also there's a newish lemur bit you can go into at certain times - they happily come right up to you.

I need to try and take more pictures in the butterfly house bit itself, but it's a struggle to keep the lens from steaming up all the time :)

They do a photography experience thing that seems like it might be quite good - you can go into the enclosures and they'll help you set up shots and whatnot, but I think it's quite pricey.

Darn good takes and renditions, James,
though the 1st could be toned down a tad.

Excellent set, very colourful :)

Lorikeet shot is a cracker - and the black swan is also a good take too imo. What new lens did you get?

Lorikeet shot is a cracker - and the black swan is also a good take too imo. What new lens did you get?

Thanks. Got the 55-200 VR II. Not the longest or fastest lens in the world, but affordable and quite light and easy to carry around.

Been back today - bit of a dull day so I was fighting with ISO a bit to keep the shutter speed high enough. Still not as comfortable as I'd like with that kind of thing. Also, because I'm an idiot, I'd been fiddling with it last night and didn't notice I'd left VR turned off until we were leaving the place :)

Really like having a longer lens though. Got a few shots that are nice enough, though nothing really hugely interesting (though I quite like the lemur pulling an odd expression):

Meerkat by James Sutherland, on Flickr
Scary Lemur by James Sutherland, on Flickr
Mara by James Sutherland, on Flickr
Turkey by James Sutherland, on Flickr

This visitor was also hanging around:

Robin by James Sutherland, on Flickr

Really appreciate all the comments from everybody - thanks.

Your post #10 is very good too! (y)

Went there just a week ago. Great set, some lovely expressions you got. Really like the robin, great focus and pose.

Back