Trouble working on background layer

Name
Janice
Edit My Images
Yes
When I open an image in photoshop.. i then duplicate the background layer and make various adjustment layers.

If I then want to do some sharpening I select the bottom layer and do it on that..........but it seems to look all wrong. Same happens if I try to clone by clicking on the background layer first either.

Do I have to flatten the layers first before I can do this.

forget the background layer - just make two duplicates. You have to have the layer you are working on highlighted

forget the background layer - just make two duplicates. You have to have the layer you are working on highlighted

well thats what i thought i was doing.. it happens even if i work on the duplicate layer. some effects just dont work right until i flatten adn work on the flat image.

i know what you mean janice as this happens to me.

it will only sharpen the layer that is highlighted..

i just flatten the image and carry on from there..

not much help i know .. but you are not alone..

md(y)

i don't mean the tick, I mean the rectangle to the right of the layer needs to be coloured blue

yes i do select the backgrodn layer so the rectangle with its name in turns blue. if there are no other adjustmenet layers above it works fine... but if there are then it doesnt.

Looks wrong how? Turns sky blue pink? Goes mono? Naked dancing girls? Screenshot might help, include the layer palette too (y)

dont you leave the bottom layer as original and work on the above layers?

Looks wrong how? Turns sky blue pink? Goes mono? Naked dancing girls? Screenshot might help, include the layer palette too (y)

you fool!! :D

if i sharpen on the background layer or duplicate background layer it doesnt show up properly if i also have adjustment layers on there. lots of workings dont show up properly, cloning etc. but if flatten then do it.. its fine.

Um, nope not following you.

Open Image
Duplicate layer
Add adjustment layer (curves for example)
Select bottom layer, sharpen.

You say the sharpen doesn't show up properly, it shouldn't show up at all. You duplicated the bottom layer so the one above it overwriting it completely unless you've changed the opacity, blend mode, etc.

You need to flatten the layers before sharpening. Before flattening hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-E, this will make a flattened copy of all the layers but without destroying the unflattened layers. You can then go back if you want to.

When sharpening I then duplicate the flattened layer, set this layer to overlay, and then use high pass filter. I then apply a layer mask to this layer and paint with black to hide the bits I dont want sharpened.

Doing it this way you can always go back as it's non destructive.

thanks chaps... how many fingers will i need to press all those keys at once!!????? :D

i will try it now.

You need to flatten the layers before sharpening. Before flattening hit Ctrl-Shift-Alt-E, this will make a flattened copy of all the layers but without destroying the unflattened layers. You can then go back if you want to.

When sharpening I then duplicate the flattened layer, set this layer to overlay, and then use high pass filter. I then apply a layer mask to this layer and paint with black to hide the bits I dont want sharpened.

Doing it this way you can always go back as it's non destructive.

:agree: This is my preferred method too, Hold down Ctrl-Shift-Alt and hit E

When I open an image in photoshop.. i then duplicate the background layer and make various adjustment layers.

If I then want to do some sharpening I select the bottom layer and do it on that..........but it seems to look all wrong. Same happens if I try to clone by clicking on the background layer first either.

Do I have to flatten the layers first before I can do this.

If you turn the eye off on the top layer you will see any adjustments you are making on the background layer as you make them.
:)

Thanks for your help all... i think i will try te ctr-alt-shift-E method as turning off the eyes exept for background layer is just the same... not showing the work properly, only when flattened.

Dont worry any more guys, as its a nice rainy sunday i will have a good old try today. (y)

Hi Janice all layers need to be visible that you want copy to mergerd also you must have the uppermost visible layer selected Before ctrl alt shift pressed down and hit E

HTH

I'm still missing something here. Is this a CS3 thing? When I tried this in CS2 it all worked fine, sharpen, etc showed the correct result for the layer no matter what adjustment layers I had above it. Is the sharpen a CS3 adjustment layer rather than the filter version?

its a "high pass sharpen" on a duplicate layer
.. i made it an action. but its not JUST the sharpening. Sometimes i do some cloning or dodging and burning and it isnt working properly when on the background layer... or duplicate background layer, but when i flatten them all it then works and looks how it is supposed to.

its a "high pass sharpen" on a duplicate layer
.. i made it an action. but its not JUST the sharpening. Sometimes i do some cloning or dodging and burning and it isnt working properly when on the background layer... or duplicate background layer, but when i flatten them all it then works and looks how it is supposed to.

Are you changing the blend mode to overlay or hard light etc?

If so this will not let you see any of the changes on that layer as I do believe it is a destructive filter for new adjustments. I think.

Back