Critique Trying to improve forest photography

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I am finding forest photography a particular interest at the moment, hoping to do this area justice eventually, all pictures taken in Hatfield Forest, Essex an old stomping ground of Henry VIII.

Would be grateful for any comments and suggestions to improve - the only editing done has been basic adjustments in lightroom.

Thanks

Trevor

_DSC1434.jpg

_DSC1463.jpg

_DSC1467.jpg

_DSC1472.jpg

_DSC1482.jpg

Forest photography is not something I have tried myself as yet but will certainly be giving it a go this year.
As far as the set goes they are pleasant enough but they aren't helped by the light. I think if you are showing glimpses of the sky in shots then maybe try at different times of the day?!

Thanks Neil. Yes I hadn't considered how much the sky influences my pictures. Think I'll look for a more deeply wooded area next time - seems to be getting harder in Essex, which I find quite depressing! I'll try moving in closer too.

Time of day. The sun rising or setting through the trees creates a better look for me - at least at this time of year with the absence of fog/snow and limited foliage cover to break the sky.

Spot on with the compositions Trevor I see the shadows have caught your eye? alway enjoys shadows myself when it comes to Landscapes certainly adds interest., as above from Alastair give that ago, and thanks for sharing.
Kevin

Last edited:
Oh.. and rain, don't underestimate how attractive rain can be in the woods - both during a rain shower and immediately afterwards whilst everything's still wet.

try at different times of the day
at least at this time of year with the absence of fog/snow and limited foliage cover to break the sky.
and rain, don't underestimate how attractive rain can be in the woods
These are all good tips not to be ignored BUT…
Spot on with the compositions
…this is the most important in your exercise!

"Trying to improve forest photography" says your title
and YES, YOU DID PRETTY WELL here with these.

My suggestions are try to vary the hight of the horizon and
the subject or focal point do not have to be dead centred in
the frame.

… a good set to built on, buddy!

Thanks very much guys, very helpful.

Yes I do like a good shadow! Thought it would help with the foreground interest too. Regarding the light I think I did get there too late, it was 8am and already the sun was fairly strong - must get up earlier. But I shall certainly try going out towards the end of the day and after the rain sounds very promising too.

Thanks again.
Trevor

I'm rubbish as forest photos but for what it's worth I'd pick out three key things to have a play with:

1. Get in there in the golden hours
2. Get lower down, at least sometimes
3. Decide whether you want a floor or sky dominant shot - you don't have to go classic 1/3 : 2/3 but it's an ok starting point (and usually more effective than 50:50)

But great start and looking forward to more...

Something else for consideration is to learn how to crop your images (and see the crop though the lens), for me 3:2 is nearly always too narrow for a portrait orientation shot.

Forest photography is actually really damn tricky because the thing your brain isolates as being rather lovely often just looks like a tree in amongst other trees in a photo. I think this piece on composition by Ming Thein would be helpful here (also in relation to my point above) https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/03/10/repost-aspect-ratios-and-compositional-theory/

I find forest photography quite a challenge , although I find the views are much more interesting during morning sunrise. But I still have a lot to learn.

I must get back over to Hatfield Forest, its only 20 mins from me but haven't been there in years. A good set, as has already been said. Definitely go back in different light though (y)

Back