Turbo Weasels 52 for 2011 - Week 8 - Chaos

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I would give this a go. I have not looked at any of the other threads yet, as I did not want to be swayed by other peoples ideas.

Here goes. Hope this works. Summer "accommodation"

5336174629_69335fb041.jpg

Last edited:
Ditto re LHS...

love the green tho - I think that makes the shot - the different greens.

good job Ian!

(reminded me of Lowestoft where there are some lovely summer accommodations too :)

I originally included the OOF hut on the left hand side as I thought it helped to show the huts were on a curve, however I have re edited as suggested and agree it looks better without.

Thanks for all your comments.

5339769844_9d1287950c_b.jpg

Yes, like the new crop, shame there must be council regs about them all being green a mix of colours would be far more striking

Week 2 - New

Had a few ideas this week. Decided to go shopping for a new car - if only! I decided to look for an upmarket car, settled on the Ferrari - red is a great colour :D. The showroom looked a little bland in daylight so went back in the evening. Much better colours. I hadn't banked on all the kids finger prints on the windows. Had some funny looks from the salesmen as well.

The car is a Ferrari f430 scuderia f1, priced at £139,995 :eek:

5346522571_68af0379fb_b.jpg

Last edited:
;) well if I'd have know you were in the village, you could have come in for some a cup of tea!!!!

I keep looking through the windows too - if you'd have been there earlier today, they had one positioned perfectly outside the glass doors.............. ah well, tis only money :LOL:

It is a lovely village, with some wonderfull car sales :) . I was actually on my way home from working near Lymington, otherwise I may have stopped for a cuppa :LOL:

Good lead in path and green is my favorite colour.

Better with crop and pity there wasn't a different colour hut amongst the green ones as that would make a nice impact.

Cheers

Week 1: I really like this one. I like how they are all slightly shapes and shades of green. The re-cropped version is better.

Week 2: I'll take two please, one in red and one in black. ok I'll stop dreaming now... Nice shot. I'd crop it on the right a little to remove the bit of car (or is it a reflection?)

I can tell you worked hard to get the angle right... I'd have cropped a bit tighter and only had the one window in the frame... it's hard work when things are not at just the perfect angle!

Love your week 1 pic after the crop!

Ian, i like the green huts, nothing wrong with green they look impressive, much improved in the re-edit...

the car though. i think cars are hard as you have to watch what is being reflected in its paintwork... and i feel the window frame spliting it is off putting. maybe changing your angle and going for the badge or something that defines the brand... like Audi and Beemer grills...

good work on the first 2 weeks. (y)

Week 1: I really like this one. I like how they are all slightly shapes and shades of green. The re-cropped version is better.

Week 2: I'll take two please, one in red and one in black. ok I'll stop dreaming now... Nice shot. I'd crop it on the right a little to remove the bit of car (or is it a reflection?)

I can tell you worked hard to get the angle right... I'd have cropped a bit tighter and only had the one window in the frame... it's hard work when things are not at just the perfect angle!

Love your week 1 pic after the crop!

There is common theme here - better cropping.:) I agree. I will have a go later and see what I can do.

Ian, i like the green huts, nothing wrong with green they look impressive, much improved in the re-edit...

the car though. i think cars are hard as you have to watch what is being reflected in its paintwork... and i feel the window frame spliting it is off putting. maybe changing your angle and going for the badge or something that defines the brand... like Audi and Beemer grills...

good work on the first 2 weeks. (y)

I agree with your comments and must admit I am dissapointed with this weeks effort. I rushed it due to work. I think your idea of concentrating on a feature would have worked far better.

Note to self - Must try harder :D

Here is a quick crop. I think this is better as it removes some of the clutter in the background. I left some of the wall as I think needs to be left to make sense of the window.

5360407439_4e79bbf543_b.jpg

Original for comparison

5346522571_68af0379fb.jpg

Last edited:
To be honest, I prefer the original shot:)

Perhaps a portrait shot of the whole of the window would have been a good shot?
getting all three panes in, i mean

Thats a good idea. I hadn't thought of a portrait shot. Unfortunately I didn't get the full window in my original. Thanks for the feedback

I do wish people would stop sneaking around taking photos of my garage!

I agree with the suggestion of a portrait, but it's still a good shot.

5380801813_6f401afe73_b.jpg

This is a detail in the style of a dragon from a Turkish bronze gun, 18 pounder.
Lavishly decorated with flora characteristics of the 'Tulip Age@ in Ottoman history, it was cast during the reighn of Sultan Ahmed III in 1708-9. An inscription on it says that 'such a gun, fearful in form and roaring like a dragon, spouts flames when it draws breath' In 1857 it was presented by His Imperial Majesty Abdul Mejid to Queen Victoria and transported by HMS Sphinx.

On display at
Royal Armouries Museum
Fort Nelson
Portsdown Hill Road
Fareham
PO17 6AN

I found a couple of limitations of my kit lens whilst taking the shot. Firstly, only being able to go to a maximum of f3.5, and secondly the minimum focusing distance. These combined meant it was shot at 32mm @f 4.5. I would have prefered the background to have been more blurred. I think I could be getting a prime lens before too long :D

Nicely detailed shot there Ian, I was gonna suggest that a little fill flash might have improved the shot but now I'm thinking it might have flattened the detail too much, so have decided I like the shadows just the way they are :cool: I think you're ok with the background too, it's far enough out of focus to not draw your eye but I share you thoughts on buying a prime lens, I have one on my shopping list too :D:D

I had some other shots when the sun was hidden behind the cloud, but they looked flat. The sun only came out for a few minutes, and this shot looked the best to me.

The thing I'm liking about doing the 52 is that it's making me shoot things I wouldn't normally shoot, and that I find I'm experimenting with different DOF and compositions.

I like what you've done here. I like the angle and the shadows, but I may also have tried focusing on the second dragon's head through the arch of the first dragon which I's have slightly OOF. It may not work, but I'm thinking it may nicely frame the dragons head.

Good luck with the remaining 49.

Week 1: Love this after the crop - actually really like the different greens - it 'ties' them all in!

week 2: Prefer original version - shame about the line cutting it in half - wondering how easy it'd be to crop out!

Week 3: is fab - I love the shadows agree re: framing second dragon through the first.

Great start to your 52 :)

Just to be awkward, I actually prefer week 1 without the crop. I like the sense that having the out of focus building there is giving the feeling of a continual sweep across the area with more of the same. I can just imagine hundreds of people all coming out at once :D

I'm not really a fan of car photos (no idea why, I never have been) but the cropped shot looks better, and more intimate. After all, most people love their cars, so why not have an intimate shot!

I like the details on the bronze gun, but I feel like I'm missing out on the rest of the image with the tight crop. It feels slightly out of context as it is. The bokeh is nice though, and I think that suits it well :)

what an interesting subject for style :) I like the composition, and aging bronze has the most beautiful colour :)

Back