Tutorial Tutorial: Create a two-tone Black & White border on your image

i usually just do....

select> select all
select> modify>border

10px & black

Thank you very much!

managed to automate a border action now! i didn't even know how to automate, or make a border before today!

thanks again

You're very welcome Ant... glad to have been of assistance.

There's also an action file you can get here free

ATB

Nev

Hi, is there any easy way to create image borders that include some of the exif info?

Thanks for this mate, excellent tutorial i think i will use this quite a bit now :)

This is just another method of adding the same type of border and creating an action for it at the same time. It keeps the original image dimensions (so don't crop too tight) , although you cant customise different sides as shown by oldfart. It might look long-winded, but it's not....it's very, very simple!

1.Open the image you want to add your border to.
2. If the actions palette isn't open do so by hitting alt+F9
3. Click the "Create New Action" button at the bottom (shown by red dot below)

1.jpg

4. In the box, give your action a title and set a shortcut key (I just set it to F2), and click the record
button (everything you now do will be recorded until you stop it)

2.jpg

5. Most of this is now going to be done using the default short cut keys.
6. Press D to reset the colour palette to black and white.
7. Press X to set white as the foreground colour
8. Press Ctrl+A to put a selection around the whole image.
9. Select Edit>Stroke and in the box that opens, set size to 11 pixels (you don't even have to select it, as its already selected) and make
sure Inside is checked in Location and click OK.

3.jpg

10. Press X to set Black as the foreground colour
11. Select Edit>Stroke again and set the size to 10 and click OK.

4.jpg

12. Press Ctrl+D to deselect
13. Press the "Stop Recording" button in the Actions Palette.

5.jpg

Finished! Now every time you want a border all you have to do is press the F2 key! Try it!

finished.jpg

Thanks but only 1 niggle i must of done something wrong as when i press f2 it dont do it lol any suggestions?

Is there a way of doing something similar in Capture NX (ver 1) :shrug: Just that I haven't got Photoshop :confused:

Brilliant forum, so much information and so well presented. I find these tips and advice pages so pleasing to read. :clap:

Thank you musician

Last edited:
Great guide, thanks for that.

I've managed to resize the canvas, however I cant change the background. I'm using Elements 8.0 and have already edited the photo with several layers already in place, would this effect it?

Back