tutorial required, developing and enlarging

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
ok so ive just (well im collecting it tomorrow anyway) aquired all the gear required to develop my own black and white film, a,ll i need now are the required chemicals (available from jessops i presume?) and a decent tutorial that i can try out.

can anyone help me with a weblink etc to the required info for developing and enlarging

B*****d :p I want my own dark room setup!

(sorry this isnt any help, but had to swear at you ;) )

ive been offered two setups gratis this year although this is the only one thats actually materialised. if the other one does materialise ill try to shift it on to someone who wants it for a donation to the upkeep of this site

ill probbaly get bored soon and send everything to colab!

Huge subject, and I'd highly recommend you read up on the subject first, but a very basic resume'.....

Basic requirements..

Devoloping tank.

To be loaded in complete darkness. Practice with an old film a lot before you try the real thing.

Chemicals.

Developer, Stop Bath and Fixer.

Measuring beakers

One for developer, stop bath and fixer, unless you wash very thoroughly between baths.

Trays

Three - one for each solution... the larger sizes get expensive!

Photographic thermometer

Essential IMO.

Darkroom safelight with orange Filter

Provides enough light for the printing process.

Enlarger with lens

Well... you just need one. :D

Printing paper.

There are plenty of other bits and pieces which will make life easier but the above are the bare essentials.

Developing the film is by far the most critical bit as you only get one stab at it. Read the leaflets which come with your chosen chemicals - they'll contain all the info you need, but you need to have a very good idea of what you're doing and your work flow before you start.

Maintaining a reasonably constant temperature throughout the developing process is a bit Heath Robinson in your typical home environment. Get your chemicals to your chosen temp, then stand the tank in a larger bowl of water to which you can add warm water as required to keep the temp constant.

Be scrupulously clean about washing everything when you've finished. these chemicals can dry out and become crystalline and airborne, badly contaminating a room with the result that mysterious brown spots start to appear on your prints.. not to mention the health implications.

Printng and enlarging

Great fun and everyone should do it, but once you've experienced the dust spots and hairs etc on your prints, you'll really appreciate digital processing.
I'll leave you to experiment with the printing bit , it's far too big a subject to tackle here.

Just a thought, but why not go for slides instead? Once the film is in the tank, the whole process is carried out with the light on and is effectively finished once you've developed the film. As long as you use E6 film you can get a home procesing kit of chemicals from Jessops et al. Scan the slides into your PC and you have all the advantages of digital editing, the fun of using film, but without a lot of the time and hassle.

Haven't been involved in any film printing for years, but I distinctly recall that darkroom chemicals cause spectacular and immovable stains if spilled.

Also, chemicals can be fairly expensive, so I wouldn't bother developing the odd photo here and there - wait til you've got a bunch of 'em to do. Chemicals don't keep very well once they're out of the bottle.

while i have aquired an enlarger and washing baths etc for prints ill probably end up only developing the negs before scanning them to computer. although its nice to have

i havent been through the lot yet but ive aquired alot of bits and bobs as well as lots of out of date paper, film and chemicals :)

Doing you own is really rewarding even failures teach you something.
Don't forget gloves both wet and dry. Dry so's not to get sweat etc on film and wet when handling chem's. Work in well vented area and remember to wash gloves/hands. IIRC Alkains and acids involved.
Used to do both b&w relatively easy and colour e6 & c41 much more difficult

You will need to match the developer to the film you are using too for best results.

Back