TV Questions Maybe I Can Help.

Here is a short list of things that will also improve your viewing experience:
BLIMEY!
This is how I do it
Plug in TV, & turn on.
Turn on sound bar & the little dog, I mean sub woofer.
Sit in your favourite chair and browse for something ...
30 seconds later, decide its all crap
get up, turn off TV
and the sound bar,
go and do something useful (y)

BLIMEY!
This is how I do it
Plug in TV, & turn on.
Turn on sound bar & the little dog, I mean sub woofer.
Sit in your favourite chair and browse for something ...
30 seconds later, decide its all crap
get up, turn off TV
and the sound bar,
go and do something useful (y)

Not for millions of others. Including those involved in film tv and photography.

Again if you are uninterested in the subject why post?

Last edited:

Because you bought up that those posting yesterday had disappeared, and you seem to revel in the attention. :D

Because you bought up that those posting yesterday had disappeared, and you seem to revel in the attention. :D

Yes i did because i thought they had maybe seen something that made them think, maybe he does know a little about this AV lark and we behaved out of character. I have never craved attention only set up a thread to talk about AV.

Last edited:
I'm still here too, nothing on telly so came to see what was happening.

Did buy a boxset of Blacklist series 3 to watch on my newly acquired did player, only a 30 quid Sony non blu ray job though.

Quick question please, do you reckon I can use this http://best4pc.com/dvd-catalyst-4-7-1-retail-full-version/download/6385/ to convert a region 1 dvd then transfer it to a flash drive to plug in my new player http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/dvd-players/dvp-sr760h

I already have the full paid for version of the software, use it to convert dvd's to watch on a tablet

Thank you

Last edited:
Starting it in OOF probably didn't help. I've moved it to the correct section for you. ;)

Thanks Marc.:ty:

I think Viv tried to guide me in this direction yesterday but i seen a different header, please forgive me my mistake Viv.:oops: :$

Last edited:
Including those involved in film tv
But if its their job, they of course will have or should have a calibrated screen to work from..
So they know all "this" or should do..

and photography.
Just the same as I work from a calibrated monitor while editing..
TV to me is a toy not a tool, and a little used one at that.

I'm always happy to keep a thread from dying and see other peoples points of view.

Of course they do, that is why they would want us to view their material as intended. If you view material on settings chosen by yourself you move then to your subjective opinion rather than how it should look.

the TV industry is still huge and all of the top players and now most of the lesser ones are providing these controls for a reason, so a we can replicate as close as possible the original intent of the broadcaster, director etc.

Last edited:
I'm always happy to keep a thread from dying and see other peoples points of view.

Me to, that why i am still posting and why some prefer an accurate image and some do not.

PS
Do you think the thread was dying, i am surprised at that on a photography forum where image quality is a major factor.

PSPS

If anyone can get their hands on The Art Of Flight on Blu Ray, it is jaw dropping ( it was used as the demo Disc in NY USA in a Shootout presentation a few years ago for calibrators and manufacturers). But for now please watch the trailer in HD and full screen to get an idea:

Come on you have to admit i am blowing your minds just now LOL.

Last edited:
i am surprised at that on a photography forum where image quality is a major factor.
On an editing machine its paramount, not so much on a TV that as I said before is a toy not a tool.

On an editing machine its paramount, not so much on a TV that as I said before is a toy not a tool.
TV a toy, where did you get that from and why would it not be just as important on that?

So you are saying the guys at THX, ISF, Sony , Canon , Panasonic, LG are dealing with toys.

Last edited:
TV a toy, where did you get that from
Well lets see, you watch for relaxation, not to earn money from, ( unless of course you are in the film industry)
That makes it a toy.

Well lets see, you watch for relaxation, not to earn money from, ( unless of course you are in the film industry)
That makes it a toy.

I can't understand your Logic, so unless you are making money from something it becomes a toy?

some PJ's and TV's can go into the many thousands of pounds so hardly a toy surely.

What then does that make a camera?

Last edited:
I can't understand your Logic, so unless you are making money from something it becomes a toy?
Nothing to understand, that pretty much sums it up.

What then does that make a camera?
A toy, unless you are a professional, then it becomes a tool of your trade.

some PJ's and TV's can go into the many thousands of pounds so hardly a toy surely.
The cost is irrelevant just as fair weather bikers spend thousands on a Harley or some such, or a fast car, "because they can" these are all toys.

Again i find your logic flawed and deviating from the subject, toys in your opinion or whatever these are things we use in everyday life and for most the TV is probably the most used. Now you can either get an accurate image or move into to the realms of a subjective one, me i prefer the accurate version you don't but that is OK.

PS
you did say you had your monitor calibrated, can i ask why and who performed the calibration?

Last edited:
Again i find your logic flawed
Hardly, because,
toys or whatever these are things we use in everyday life and for most the TV is probably the most used.
Thank You have just proved my point (y)

things we use in everyday life and for most the TV is probably the most used.
The problem with that is, people that don't work, probably I'd agree with you, but most of us have full time jobs, commuting here and there, and have little time to watch TV.

It kinda bothers me really, this mentality, that TV is some kind of demi-god. sitting on the wall / in a corner and just has to be watched.

This has spawned many a crap reality programme and even programmes about people watching programmes ( so I hear)
The more time the population takes out of their busy lives, to eat up ( or graze) the myriad of channels and programmes, the more pressure on the producers to produce programmes.
So I guess in reality, its the population at large that has got themselves into a downward spiral.

I'll leave you with that thought as I have a full day tomorrow ( as most days) and sadly ( :rolleyes: ) no time for breakfast TV, Judge wotsit or that Kyle bloke,
denigrating people just because some cousin or other got their mothers sister pregnant.

Hardly, because,

Thank You have just proved my point (y)

The problem with that is, people that don't work, probably I'd agree with you, but most of us have full time jobs, commuting here and there, and have little time to watch TV.

It kinda bothers me really, this mentality, that TV is some kind of demi-god. sitting on the wall / in a corner and just has to be watched.

This has spawned many a crap reality programme and even programmes about people watching programmes ( so I hear)
The more time the population takes out of their busy lives, to eat up ( or graze) the myriad of channels and programmes, the more pressure on the producers to produce programmes.
So I guess in reality, its the population at large that has got themselves into a downward spiral.

I'll leave you with that thought as I have a full day tomorrow ( as most days) and sadly ( :rolleyes: ) no time for breakfast TV, Judge wotsit or that Kyle bloke,
denigrating people just because some cousin or other got their mothers sister pregnant.

I am watching Powaqqatsi tonight hardly kyle in glorious calibrated accurate HD and it looks stunning ( i collect Blu Ray films from around the world). Me i work hard in a heavy engineering and come home from time to time to watch a film or two and spend time with the family. i also talk to many around the world who agree with me that an accurate image looks stunning.

Now you did say you had your monitor calibrated and i think i asked why?

Last edited:
Strange thing though everyone who commented yesterday has disappeared
Reality check..

You walked into a photography forum and within a week are starting to imply that everyone's TVs are sh*t, the TVs they're thinking of buying are s*** and too cheap, they're too incompetent to set them up correctly and if they were proper photographers and took images seriously they couldn't possibly spend less than £1,000 on a TV plus several hundred pounds on calibration equipment..

.. can I just check you're the guy with the 15 year old, £60 Nikon D100 too broke to upgrade until Christmas and are telling us we can't be taking our photography seriously because we don't spend enough on our f***ing televisions?

To save you looking it up, click on my profile picture and the option you're looking for is "Ignore this member".

Reality check..

You walked into a photography forum and within a week are starting to imply that everyone's TVs are sh*t, the TVs they're thinking of buying are s*** and too cheap, they're too incompetent to set them up correctly and if they were proper photographers and took images seriously they couldn't possibly spend less than £1,000 on a TV plus several hundred pounds on calibration equipment..

.. can I just check you're the guy with the 15 year old, £60 Nikon D100 too broke to upgrade until Christmas and are telling us we can't be taking our photography seriously because we don't spend enough on our f***ing televisions?

To save you looking it up, click on my profile picture and the option you're looking for is "Ignore this member".

When did i ever say that, your twisting my words, i was trying to get someone not to waste there money on a TV and advised them on the alternative. Never said anyone was incompetent. the rest is pure BS and you know it

When did i ever say that, your twisting my words, i was trying to get someone not to waste there money on a TV and advised them on the alternative. Never said anyone was incompetent. the rest is pure BS and you know it what a complete ass hole you are

Reality check..

What a complete lying prick you are and you know it, how f*****g dare you come on here a lie through your f*****g teeth and twist my words.

Apologies to everyone but lying trolling pricks like that have no place on a forum.

Apologies to everyone but lying trolling pricks like that have no place on a forum.

Neither does name calling. He's a long sanding and respected member of this forum and, relatively speaking, you just walked through the door so rein it in!

Neither does name calling. He's a long sanding and respected member of this forum and, relatively speaking, you just walked through the door so rein it in!

so because he is a long standing member he gets away with lying through his teeth and i get the warning and do not tell me to rein it in the guy insulted me and your defending it?

i have remained calm and courteous throughout this thread despite a barrage of insults and your honestly warning me.

Last edited:
so because he is a long standing member he gets away with lying through his teeth and i get the warning and do not tell me to reign it in the guy insulted me and your defending it?

I'm not defending anything. Calling someone a prick is unacceptable. You should have jus left it with your 1st reply instead of going into one.

So, once again, rein it in.

I'm not defending anything. Calling someone a prick is unacceptable. You should have jus left it with your 1st reply instead of going into one.

Well, he's a new member and you and others have spent four pages baiting him presumably to get him to blow up and now he has you are no doubt all well pleased.

Sorry you're defending him knowing exactly what he was doing then telling me to rein it in again, as the guy above said i have had four pages of this crap and kept my cool then this prick shows up lying and baiting me and you have defended him using the excuse he is a long standing member. that my friend beggars belief.

screen shots taken.

Last edited:
Well, he's a new member and you and others have spent four pages baiting him presumably to get him to blow up and now he has you are no doubt all well pleased.

Not sure where I've baited him. As far as I can tell, all I've done is move the thread to the correct section and told him to stop with the name calling but I suggest that, as per the rules, if you have an issue with forum moderation, you take it up via the usual channel.

Not sure where I've baited him. As far as I can tell, all I've done is move the thread to the correct section and told him to stop with the name calling but I suggest that, as per the rules, if you have an issue with forum moderation, you take it up via the usual channel.

Did you or did you not say he was a long standing member and i was a newbie? So that makes it Ok for him to come here and insult and lie about me does it?

He has not made one other comment here so got the result he was after, which is the mark of a forum troll.

Last edited:
Did you or did you not say he was a long standing member and i was a newbie? So that makes it Ok for him to come here and insult and lie about me does it?

I have tried time and again to remain civil but i have never witnessed a forum quite like this one for bringing out the very worst in people.

It was in relation purely to

lying trolling pricks like that have no place on a forum

Nothing to do with his previous post to which your initial reply was perfectly acceptable but you then felt the need to go down the name calling route which isn't acceptable. Really not seeing how this is so hard to understand.

It was in relation purely to

Nothing to do with his previous post to which your initial reply was perfectly acceptable but you then felt the need to go down the name calling route which isn't acceptable. Really not seeing how this is so hard to understand.

Not hard to understand at all but when they are lying and being defended i will retaliate, but where is his warning?

All i did was set up a thread on AV, i have shown this thread to another forum and no one can believe what they have seen.

Last edited:
Not hard to understand at all, but where is his warning?

For what? He was blunt but he didn't call you any names.

All i did was set up a thread on AV, i have shown this now to another forum and no one can believe what they have seen.

Not sure I can believe it either. Someone gets told not to call people names and then starts acting like a 10 year old!

For what? He was blunt but he didn't call you any names.

Not sure I can believe it either. Someone gets told not to call people names and then starts acting like a 10 year old!

Again it seems i am the one in the wrong here. The guy was not only blunt he was insulting and again you are defending it. He has disappeared off the forum knowing exactly what he wanted to do and is now happy in the knowledge he achieved the desired result and here i am defending myself in what is a ridiculous situation.

I work upwards of 40 hours a week on zero hour contracts and had to save hard for my 15 year old £60 camera and everything else i buy. I am 54 years old and will not be insulted as to my personal situation by him or anyone else. Ban me if you like but show me where anyone would not have reacted the same after all the baiting and insults i have had to endure.

Last edited:
Barry I'm amazed you've kept calm upto now I would have lost it 2 pages ago , the amount of people who have joined the thread with no interest on the matter but yet have provoked an argument is embarrassing to the whole site . Every few days I question why I'm part of this place , I'd say if you want to be a long term member you will just have to get used to the pricks because they are round every corner in this place . I find it strange as this is the most over moderated forum out of the many I'm a member of but yet it's by far the worst for threads just like this one . Very sad .

Last edited:
Thanks Stumac, i only offered advice on a subject i know a little about but never had to experience anything like this and can not understand what it was that antagonised people so much. Maybe my choice of wording might have been better, i don't know?

Last edited:
Back