TV Questions Maybe I Can Help.

I think we should, and not just AV buffs. Olympics hockey was a brilliant example where I noticed colour was all over the place on friends and family sets. I often find that general TV looks very weird.

Each to their own, but I think it is worthwhile. Sometimes the difference is truly staggering, and the amount of detail that can be retrieved by using correct settings changes the experience significantly. To me it makes it much more enjoyable to watch.

Your mileage may vary.

Thanks some simple explanations :)

I'm interested, as obviously I understand the need to calibrate my monitor for my photography workflow, correct from conception to print. I also understand the needin post production having worked in that field, albeit IT, for 15 years. Just hadn't considered in on a home to for normal use, could understand it for an AV setup. So it's interesting for the thoughts of colours pace etc.

TV is probably the most widely used form of home entertainment, so why not get as much from it and use the controls in much the same way as you would with our pictures. If you have a look on modern TV's there is usually i wealth of controls that never get used but are there for a reason, in not using them i suppose you could maybe liken it to buying a camera and only using Auto, nothing wrong with it but you are not unlocking the full potential.

Gimme a hint? Looks like a photograph of a television screen to me. Was the camera calibrated? :)

Mate i think you're trying to wind me up. If you ain't interested avoid the thread otherwise it could be taken as trolling, but being interested in Photography i thought this might be of some help.

You can get a feeling of depth and sharpness of image and nope the camera was set correctly to take an image from the TV...............did you read my link to " Calibration For Dummies"?

Above is a very easy tutorial for the first stage in getting a better picture.

Edit
Nope Aliengrove has disappeared again. LOL

Last edited:
Don't you just love it when a thread is improperly introduced and everyone then manages to go off in the wrong direction.. I'm sure it makes a lot more sense if you were aware of the existence of the thread that spawned it,or if that thread had been linked to start with. Although to be fair, until post #2 it was going so well.

Anyway, at the risk of relevance it looks like a scene from Apocalypto..

Alister how was the thread improperly introduced. i started a thread on how to set up your TV?

The film was Baraka.

Last edited:
Alister how was the thread improperly introduced.
Well Betty, post #5 makes it very clear it wasn't you just popping out of nowhere and presenting yourself as a TV set-up expert.

Alister how was the thread improperly introduced. i started a thread on how to set up your TV?

The film was Baraka.

Wow. How hard is it to get someone's name right when it's also their user name?

I have a nice TV.
It was on sale when the old TV went bang.
I don't watch enough TV to warrant the faffing about.

I don't own a TV.

Well Betty, post #5 makes it very clear it wasn't you just popping out of nowhere and presenting yourself as a TV set-up expert.

Harder for some than others........

But it was also clearly a thread to help with settings on TV's but it seem some people on here seem to have taken offence at that. What a strange world we live in?

Last edited:
Wow. How hard is it to get someone's name right when it's also their user name?

I have a nice TV.
It was on sale when the old TV went bang.
I don't watch enough TV to warrant the faffing about.
Then why bother posting here???

I don't own a TV.

Most of the time I wished I didn't, so many channels and so much crap, picture quality is the least of its problems

Bring back the old wooden cased ones that warmed up and gave the moggy somewhere nice to kip. Picture suffered a bit when her tail hung down over the screen, calibrating that would have involved teeth and claws.

Last edited:
Most of the time I wished I didn't, so many channels and so much crap, picture quality is the least of its problems

Bring back the old wooden cased ones that warmed up and gave the moggy somewhere nice to kip

Loads of fantastic stuff to watch. Films on Blu Ray?

We like photography how about Baraka or Samsara from Ron Fricke on Blu Ray or Powaqqatsi or Koyaanisqatsi
truly remarkable films.

Last edited:
@Barry L. I'd give up. This forum has a number of members that will pick holes in any thread just for a whinge.

You've offered help and it's been thrown in your face. Sod em.

Thanks Elliott they pop up on every forum so you kind of get used to it LOL.

Bring back the old wooden cased ones that warmed up and gave the moggy somewhere nice to kip.
With the two-legged remote, only three channels, and all three closed down for a large part of the day/night.

Would someone care to link to the originating thread?

I'm afraid that without it I'm still inclined to agree with David's original observation.

Would someone care to link to the originating thread?

I'm afraid that without it I'm still inclined to agree with David's original observation.

Why should that matter this is a thread set up for help with AV questions, that has been totally overrun with almost none but bickering as to why the thread was set up. Go figure LOL.:confused:

With the two-legged remote, only three channels, and all three closed down for a large part of the day/night.

Woke up many times to the high pitched beep after close down and the playing of the national anthem.

If anyone does manage to get their TV's set up correctly the Photography on Samsara is breathtaking:

So so far out of all the posts we have had two members showing any real interest. The rest well..................

I find that a little strange on a photography forum?

Last edited:
So so far out of all the posts we have had two members showing any real interest. The rest well..................

I find that a little strange on a photography forum?
Unfortunately it is normal for Out Of Focus on here - as Ecoleman said they'd pick a fight in an empty room. Most peculiar behaviour towards someone who wants to be helpful.

Barry, I know you really don't want to hear this, but post #4 sums it up for me.

But thanks for the offer.

(y)

Barry, I know you really don't want to hear this, but post #4 sums it up for me.

But thanks for the offer.

(y)

I will ask you this in which way do i not know what i am talking about? Or are you trolling. My goodness what a strange forum this is.

Those were the days, when you could drop a couple of tabs and watch the bleep.

Or record it & watch it in the morning (y)

Sometimes I think people should decide if a thread is relevant to them. If the info Barry is offering is of no value to you, that's fine, but it may be of use to some, so why not leave it to them? It saves a lot of bad feeling.

Back