Two droplet collisions of two different colours in one photo...

ive got a weird one from pets at home. it has one input feed but two outputs. one i leave to drop and the other I attach another tube to start the siphon from, then leave it high somewhere!

As for cleaning ive been letting drip through clear water :)

Oh Dave! If you have the other end allowing air in, the water can only either pour out or stop, because there is no air lock! Block the other end with blu tac, or some how seal it (y) You can see in my set up for the double collisions I too have a valve with 3 ends, and one is blocked with blue tac ;)

Oh Dave! If you have the other end allowing air in, the water can only either pour out or stop, because there is no air lock! Block the other end with blu tac, or some how seal it (y) You can see in my set up for the double collisions I too have a valve with 3 ends, and one is blocked with blue tac ;)

I see what your saying but it does work for me. Maybe blocking as you say might give me more variance on the valve :)

I see what your saying but it does work for me. Maybe blocking as you say might give me more variance on the valve :)

Ah ok, fair do's. I made that mistake when I didn't put the blue tac on properly: it dropped drops into the water intermittently, disturbing the surface, and also let air in making the water pour out :bonk:

Ah ok, fair do's. I made that mistake when I didn't put the blue tac on properly: it dropped drops into the water intermittently, disturbing the surface, and also let air in making the water pour out :bonk:

think im also struggling with the bowl\cake tin im using, its not big enough.

What angle is your camera to the drops??

think im also struggling with the bowl\cake tin im using, its not big enough.

What angle is your camera to the drops??

Mine's about 35cm by 25 or so, perhaps bigger. The longer it is, the better, as you then don't get the edge of the tin in the background behind the shots :) (I had to majorly edit that out in that double collision shot).

This is my angle, but I do vary it slightly:

IMGP0001-1.jpg

Again thanks for the info! (y)

syringe??? lol

Again thanks for the info! (y)

syringe??? lol

No worries! (y)

And yes, haha. I have cystic fibrosis, so use syringes for making up medication... they're also very useful for doing test drops, and pre-focussing (you can read the numbers on it when focussed correctly ;)).

Well Ive been all talk and no pics, so without furhter ado this is how close I have been to a collision:

collide.jpg

I Will Do It!!!! :LOL: lol

Well Ive been all talk and no pics, so without furhter ado this is how close I have been to a collision:
I Will Do It!!!! :LOL: lol

Oh nice! It's a nice shot either way :) If you add some dye to one of the liquids, it make's it all the easier to see how close you've come, or not. As you say, that there to me look's like the bottom drop is shooting up and the top one coming down, but without colours it's hard to say.

So how many pictures did you take? :p

I had a go with the syringe yesterday, and hand holding the camera, and literally holding the shutter button in. Took about 15 photos and got these two :LOL: It's all about knowing the rate :) (obviously I know these are horrendous quality)

Randomers1.jpg

Randomers2.jpg

Also, what ISO you using on there? Look's like a bit of noise? Would be a shame if you got a perfect form but the noise was high :(

Last edited:
Think ive done near 500 shots now. Managed to get a bigger drip zone (a wok!), but still the collisions are not happening for me :( tried all drip speeds and im starting to :bang: lol

Think ive done near 500 shots now. Managed to get a bigger drip zone (a wok!), but still the collisions are not happening for me :( tried all drip speeds and im starting to :bang: lol

You want me to take a picture side-on of the drip rate I use? I don't know if that's helpful or not :|

You want me to take a picture side-on of the drip rate I use? I don't know if that's helpful or not :|

that would be great if you could. thanks

ive got bottles of coloured water ready for when i get the collisions :) lol

that would be great if you could. thanks

ive got bottles of coloured water ready for when i get the collisions :) lol

Cool, I will, give me 5 mins.

And, tbh, I would go straight in there with the coloured water, if you get one, you'll be annoyed it wasn't with coloured water!

Lastly, you are using a jug or something to stop the flow to the pan between shots yes? The water needs to be really level and still between tries, else the spouts aren't perfect enough.

Lastly, you are using a jug or something to stop the flow to the pan between shots yes? The water needs to be really level and still between tries, else the spouts aren't perfect enough.

:thinking::thinking: :nono::nono: :eek:

lol will start doing this :)

such a big learning curve lol

getting good at crowns though :)
crown.jpg

:thinking::thinking: :nono::nono: :eek:

lol will start doing this :)

such a big learning curve lol

I'm sure I said that! *blush* All my set up pics always have the cups/jugs in the bottom :p

getting good at crowns though :)
crown.jpg

Very nice :) Personally I'd still probably be doing it more horizontally, the camera I mean. If you got a collision there, it'd be out of focus wouldn't it?

And, here's the pics... not sure how helpful they are, but that's the drop rate I use, approx:

IMG_8828.jpg

IMG_8824.jpg

Picture helps! thanks for posting it.

just had a quick go and getting much better results and so close to the collision. got work soon so will have to pack it all up, but i will be back out shortly.

Cheers for your help and guidance Ash, very much appreciated!

Picture helps! thanks for posting it.

just had a quick go and getting much better results and so close to the collision. got work soon so will have to pack it all up, but i will be back out shortly.

Cheers for your help and guidance Ash, very much appreciated!

Ah wicked! I hope you get one! No worries at all :)

Just to add to what Ash has said! It really helps if you understand the order of what happens with these shots i.e. how the collision occurs so you know what stage of the event you are capturing :cool: Try the Strobist blog and follow the video links :)

HTH
Steve

Just to add to what Ash has said! It really helps if you understand the order of what happens with these shots i.e. how the collision occurs so you know what stage of the event you are capturing :cool: Try the Strobist blog and follow the video links :)

HTH
Steve

I couldn't agree more (y) I put together a series of 18 photos or so from droplet falling to mid-air collision, from various photos of one particular shoot I did. Tis nice to see them all in order :)

Back