SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Couple from Wednesday last week. Not my best but still good fun to be out and about in the sun with a camera during my favourite time of the year.

The first is from the Torren Lochan and a different angle to the normal one I do. It's good to mix it up a bit and this is really a trial run for autumn where the angle of the sunset should work better for this one.

_DSC0649 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

The second is from Loch Ba. I suspected I lingered around the Torren a tad too long and missed the light up here, I was hoping for a bit more colour come twilight but it wasn't to be. Not normally a long exposure fan but it helped smooth the ripples out and give some interest to the sky.

_DSC1335 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Stunning reflections on the first Steve although from a personal POV the light is a little harsh and the shadow on the left is quite distracting.
The second doesn't work for me - a lot of negative space with the cloudless skies, combined with the dulll light - if i'm honest not your usual standard.

Stunning reflections on the first Steve although from a personal POV the light is a little harsh and the shadow on the left is quite distracting.
The second doesn't work for me - a lot of negative space with the cloudless skies, combined with the dulll light - if i'm honest not your usual standard.

Perhaps - I don't mind the light but can see why you say this. I was back there yesterday and there was even less cloud than that one. I was trialling compositions and the keeper will come this autumn

Re 2, I take the point re the empty space, I toyed with a wider crop but in the end I went with the 3:2 as I like the empty space. It's a much better shot with fuller sky though but not had much joy with this spot since Feb this year. Was back yesterday and it was super clear, I don't mind the clear skies but the fuller ones work better here.

The first one, a spot I have to visit. I've seen your Autumn shots from here and I think they are the best time of year to be there. At this time of year, obviously the light is much harsher but that doesn't mean you can't get decent shots and number 1 is very decent. I find the 3 shadows together grabbing my eye but I think the shadow to the left could be subtly recovered, according to taste. I love the still water.

The 2nd image has me thinking, I think the light has let you down but it is a nice reflection. Have you considered a mono for this?

Agreed although I think the problem with the first one isn't so much the harshness of the light but the direction... frontal lighting will always kill the depth in a landscape and make it look flat.

Back