TZ95 or TZ200 for holidays ?

Name
stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm after a camera for my holidays, some beach and some city locations. I like the look of the Panasonic TZ95 and the Panasonic TZ200 and I can't make my mind up which will be more versatile for both types of holidays. Another question is..Should I wait until next year for any New cameras that might be coming out before April ?

Thanks guys :)

The TZ95 as far as I know has a tilting selfie screen and a longer zoom but the TZ200 has a bigger sensor so I suppose it comes down to that, the TZ95's screen and extra zoom v the TZ200's bigger sensor and therefore presumably better image quality?

I have a TZ100. I went for that after being disappointed with the small sensor compacts I've had.

The TZ95 as far as I know has a tilting selfie screen and a longer zoom but the TZ200 has a bigger sensor so I suppose it comes down to that, the TZ95's screen and extra zoom v the TZ200's bigger sensor and therefore presumably better image quality?

I have a TZ100. I went for that after being disappointed with the small sensor compacts I've had.

What he said! I can guarantee you won't be incredible impressed with the TZ95 quality, whereas the TZ100 and TZ200 really are something pretty special!

I have a TZ100 for this purpose, when away and don't want to lug the main camera around. Get some great images from it.

I've used several small sensor TZ cameras and all are just fine. My current is a TZ70 and I find that the 720mm (equivalent) is much more use to me than a bigger sensor would be. I use other cameras up to full frame, so I know what the difference looks like.

Small lorry with traffic lights on back Clyst St Mary TZ70 TZ70 P1030557.JPG

Three men on bench outside Sidmouth Market TZ70 P1030382.JPG

Three birds in tree TZ70 TZ70 P1030509.JPG

I have a TZ90 and have never had any quality issues, although I don't make large prints.
The options, zoom and compactness are great.

Was it not the TZ100 that suffered from dust ingress? (I may well be wrong)

No dust in my TZ100 so far, fingers crossed etc. but I suppose this is the risk you take with any camera like this. Sensor contamination is possibly less likely than with an interchangeable lens camera but if it does happen you're pretty much snookered as you can't easily clean it, if at all.

I tend to use mine with the aperture wide open as there's plenty of depth and it helps to keep the quality up for lower light shots. The lens is soft at some lengths but ok for what it is. IMO. I don't use mine a lot but I do use it for days out and for social and family occasions when no one really wants a big camera pointed at them plus I take it on holiday when I'm lucky enough to have one.

Stephen, whatever you get I hope you'll be happy with it.

No dust in my TZ100 either but as pointed out, it is a risk. The LX-100 suffered from this issue.

No dust in my TZ100 either but as pointed out, it is a risk. The LX-100 suffered from this issue.

Probably the Lx100 that I was thinking of. I said I wasn't sure. Thanks.

I sold my Canon SX50 HS and I bought a Fuji XT-30 and I really missed the zoom function from my old camera. The reason I sold the XT-30, is by the rear thumb grip is a 'Q' button and every time I went to take a photo I would press the button. It was mentioned on here by someone and it's awful. I don't want a really long zoom like the Canon but I would like decent quality with some zoom (min 10 times). With the XT-30 I was hoping the better quality would allow me to crop the image after and print some pics off for my walls. But like I said I missed being able to zoom into my subject. I had the 15-45 lens on the Fuji, so maybe an Interchangeable lens camera with better zoom ? I m a beginner, as you have all guessed by now, but I do want to start Photography as a hobby.

Maybe an 18-135 lens on the X-T 30 and reassign the Q button (if possible)?

Oh dear, sorry to read all that.

I suppose there are a number of ways forward, and remembering that you don't want this to be a hobby...
- Back to the idea of a Panasonic TZ100/200 with a 24-240mm zoom.
- A bridge camera. I don't know much about these as they've never really been on my radar but I do know you can get them with long zoom lenses, Some can be expensive though.
A third choice could be another interchangeable lens camera with just one lens, a zoom. For example a Micro Four Thirds camera like the Panasonic GX80 or G9 with a 14-140mm lens (this gives an equivalent of 28-240mm which is about the same as the TZ200.) These cameras have a much larger sensor than a compact and the image quality can therefore be expected to be better.

Yes I have sold the XT-30 and someone has got a right bargain. I'll have a look at the GX80, G9 and maybe a second-hand Four Thirds/APS-C and one of the Lens's mentioned. Is there a specific lens I should look at ? I would like to be able to electronically zoom in and out, not manually.

Last edited:
Back