UFC London

#1 has all the dramatic of the sport,
the cuts, the blood… and the will in the eye!

Very good rendition!

#1 is a great shot for me too with the concentration on the guys face, the blood and sweat. Stands out well against the dark background. Looks brutal !

Omg that looks fabulous. Obviously gruseome but fine photography.

Gaz

Gosh, they ARE ugly! Watch this lots on the TV. Some really good shots. I'm sure they like to do this with cuts, bruises and blood so the loser has to look in the mirror for a few weeks and KNOW he lost!

I used to cover the local mma scene it's very challenging the fighters move a lot quicker than anticipated and the light can sometimes be crap ... And then there's the cage.... They look great .... Love the portrait of bisping number 1

Thanks all and yes @keeweeman, I was really surprised that Bisping won. Silva looked pretty relaxed all through the fight and even did some show boating, only getting hit with a few good shots. Unfortunately I was the wrong angle for the knee to the head that did the damage to Bisping's face. When I've covered some local MMA it's much easier as you can get right up to the cage and shoot through it much better - this was a nightmare as I was 3 foot from the edge of the cage, which even meant some manual focussing at times!. The shooting position wasn't the best either!

MMA Shooting Position by dave_horn, on Flickr

You did brilliantly mate, really good stuff. I've seen the togs shooting the UFC on the tele and it does look really hard work... Not much room to work with and a seemingly tough shooting position. Only thing I'd do is to zap the reflection on Michaels eye in #2, keeps distracting me. #1 is a real world class shot. :clap:

Looks like a tough set of circumstances for the job though, would love to do this at some point but i would probably end up too engrossed in the fights lol. Always like Anderson Silva, he just makes it look easy but if he is losing to Bisping these days he needs to call it a day :(.
I suppose the only remaining question then is did you manage to get any shots of the ufc girls? :naughty:

powerful shots, well caught action.Can i ask what lens and camera you were using

Excellent! Can I come next time as a second shooter? pretty pretty please?? haha.

Good photos. Glad you got some of the Octagon girls ;)

Great shots, I watched this live but would love to be able to shot some of it live.

Thanks. I've done a bit of MMA at different levels now and I thought I knew how strong and powerful these guys are but being on the edge of the cage really does make you appreciate exactly how much. The most challenging sport I've ever photographed though so very rewarding when you get a decent frame.

Thanks. I've done a bit of MMA at different levels now and I thought I knew how strong and powerful these guys are but being on the edge of the cage really does make you appreciate exactly how much. The most challenging sport I've ever photographed though so very rewarding when you get a decent frame.

What was the set up you had for the shots?

What was the set up you had for the shots?

Hi Lee - just a straight forward 1dx with 70-200 shooting on manual at 1/400, F4, ISO 1250. The big challenge was that you couldn't get right up to the cage, which was about 2-3 feet away so I ended up manually focussing quite a bit. Also having a TV cameraman right in front of me didn't help so spent the time trying to crouch down even more to shoot under the platform he was standing on.

Hi Lee - just a straight forward 1dx with 70-200 shooting on manual at 1/400, F4, ISO 1250. The big challenge was that you couldn't get right up to the cage, which was about 2-3 feet away so I ended up manually focussing quite a bit. Also having a TV cameraman right in front of me didn't help so spent the time trying to crouch down even more to shoot under the platform he was standing on.

Thanks for the info, would love to do something like this, your one lucky man :)

A series of excellent photographs there. I didn't realise that Silva was beaten by Bisping, after his drug suspension and now this, it seems like it would be a good time for him to retire though on reading about it, it seems like a close thing.

Last edited:
Wow, these are tremendous! Sorry if this is a silly question, but in a shoot like this, how big a percentage of all your shots do you find to be keepers?

A series of excellent photographs there. I didn't realise that Silva was beaten by Bisping, after his drug suspension and now this, it seems like it would be a good time for him to retire though on reading about it, it seems like a close thing.

I'm not really sure how Silva lost it to be honest. He looked quite comfortable all the way through.

Wow, these are tremendous! Sorry if this is a silly question, but in a shoot like this, how big a percentage of all your shots do you find to be keepers?

Not a high percentage to be honest but i haven't worked out exactly. A lot would not be keepers either because I'm choosing one image from a burst, because faces are hidden etc and there are a few when the cage messed up the focussing

Back