~Unconventional ?

Ambermile

A Whole Lot of Sparkle..
Name
Arthur
Edit My Images
No
OK, so today I have been relaxing while the rest of the family wne t down to London to visit the museums... something I have been meaning to try for ages is scanner cameras... i.e. using the scanner as a film back really.

I had a few issues since what you really don't need is a bloody great light shining inside the lens body from the wrong side until I remembered the film scan option for my scanner which has the lamp in the lid... sorted! I stood a lens on the platen (actually supported by a roll of used 35mm filmm just about the right height!), gave it a spin and here you go - my first scanner camera image:

scanner-hex-50-1_4.jpg

I mean yeah, it's only a pic of my ceiling and a bit of the inspection magnifier thing but hey - it's a result!

I know it's technically digital but... we don't have an unconventional section (yet) do we?

I know it's technically digital but...

technically...??

its the most digital thing ever digitalled

rip the lid off the scanner and attach some bag bellows, a la 10x8 vue cam, chuck in a 90mm sneider and Robert is your Dads sisters husband...:)

Yeah, was thinking along those lines... but only got a couple of quarter plate bodies here :(

I remember seeing a photo of a chap that had bolted (a surprisingly bulky) scanner onto the back of what looked like a 10x8. Wanted to have a go ever since but never seem to get round to it. It'd be nice to find a lightweight scanner that worked well and use it with a netbook.

Bet you could get some interesting motion effects :D

Truly - sadly I don't have the time to go further into this, was a bit of fun when I had a spare hour.

Found a scanner, going to have a bash at a pinhole version of this tomorrow...

will post results :)

Don't forget you will need to "disable" the scanner's illuminating lamp...

Yep, the scanner will just be used for this. We have been doing pin-hole cameras with kiddies at school and we need a 'big' class demo. The kiddies didn't get film, after the first film came out all black one of the students said 'see I told you there was nothing on the film' turn out half way through he took the film out and held it up to the light to see if the pictures were coming out ok, then put it back into the canister and into the camera.

This should be a quick and easy way to demonstrate pin-hole cameras and the different effect of different size pin holes.

That's a pretty cool little project - have you managed to get any good results from it or is it just in the prototype/development stage?

not going well, my trusty HP 4850 salvaged out of the bin worked fine on scans and negs (in a fashon)

BUT it will not scan in neg mode (not using the CCtubes in the scanner bed) without being able to see the negs (and this is looking like an optical OCR type thing)

So I'm back to trying to scan in plain old on the glass mode and I've disconnected the cathode tubes in the bed but there appears to be some form of tube warmed up confirmation and all I'm getting is a black screen when I scan.

Hmm. May need to reconnect the tubes and mask instead then?

That's a pretty cool little project - have you managed to get any good results from it or is it just in the prototype/development stage?

I just started it Bill, something I'd been meaning to do for a while now. If a large format thing comes my way I may do more - or if I can get a cheap enough scanner to wreck
bat.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hmm - make my one look a bit sad don't they...

So I picked up a couple of Canon LIDE 30 scanners earlier this week (.99p collected from up the road for the pair!) and both are actually working. Downside is not in W Ultimate but I have the Virtual XP Machine running and all's well. These little scanners are USB only and about 28mm thick... I am thinking of "modifying" one by removing the lid, sorting the lamp and reflection bar, cutting a hole in the base to see the image (as in ground glass) and building up a big camera with maybe an enlarger bellows (if I can find one cheap) or if not then some tastefully-arranged cardboard :D

Back